PDA

View Full Version : An in-depth look at AirPort Express

MacBytes
Jul 21, 2004, 09:46 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: An in-depth look at AirPort Express (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040721224621)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Fender2112
Jul 22, 2004, 07:57 AM
Nice review. But I'm still not sure about something. I have a D-Link wireless router that my two macs a connected to. If I understood correctly, I can use the Airport Express as an access point OR to stream music. If I want to do both, I'll need to use an Airport Extreme base station. Is the correct?

I may be getting a laptop in the near future and I want to besure I can do both.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 22, 2004, 04:02 PM
So I gather from the review that the Linksys WRT54G will work once the firmware is updated. But the update is through a third party, right?

We just installed a Linksys WRT54G at work and i get 5 bars. Not sure what the Airport Extreme would give me in the same situation.

shamino
Jul 22, 2004, 04:36 PM
Nice review. But I'm still not sure about something. I have a D-Link wireless router that my two macs a connected to. If I understood correctly, I can use the Airport Express as an access point OR to stream music. If I want to do both, I'll need to use an Airport Extreme base station. Is the correct?
If you want to extend your LAN via the Ethernet port, it should do that out of the box. If you want to wirelessly extend the LAN, Apple doesn't support it, but it might still be possible. (The article talks about needing a third-party firmware hack to do this on his Linksys router.)

You should be able to stream music to it with or without LAN extension. As long as you have IP connectivity to the Express (via wireless or Ethernet), you should be able to stream to it.

Ditto for print-serving.
I may be getting a laptop in the near future and I want to besure I can do both.
If you plan on wirelessly extending the reach of your D-Link access point, it may not be easy (and definitely won't be supported by Apple). If you plan on running an Ethernet wire to extend the LAN, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

At least that's how I understand it. I haven't actually used one yet.

Fender2112
Jul 22, 2004, 09:22 PM
I did a Google for a DLink hack but had no luck. I guess I will have to pony up for an Airport card. The documents are a bit misleading. I am connected to a DLink DI-624 (which is 802.11g) via Ethernet. When I run Airport Extreme Utility, I am proptyly informed that I do not have a wireless card. I guess connecting via ethernet does not constitute a WiFi certified system, whereas a wireless card does. :( Oh, well. Another trip to the Apple store.