PDA

View Full Version : PowerBooks in the modern day

MultiFinder17
Oct 24, 2009, 09:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you are still using a PowerBook as your main laptop? If you are, do share your story! If you're not, why not?

Personally, I'm still rocking out with my 12" PowerBook G4. At 1.5GHz, the final revision, it's been a solid laptop for nearly five years now. Bumped up to 1.25GB of RAM, it runs Leopard like a champ, and still does everything I need to do while out and about in the world.

So how about the rest of you?

Nermal
Oct 24, 2009, 10:03 PM
Alas, no PowerBook for me. I didn't need a laptop until after the Intel switch. I'm still using a 2006 MBP and it's still going strong, so a late-model PowerBook would probably still be good for most purposes. Even though the latest OS doesn't run on PowerPC, if 10.5 does what you need them there's really no reason to replace the computer.

NC MacGuy
Oct 24, 2009, 10:24 PM
Just wish they'd run flash better.

No hulu, no Youtube but most everything else I use them for works remarkably well for the amount of RAM and age of the systems.

iBookG4user
Oct 24, 2009, 10:30 PM
I still have a 12" PowerBook G4 1.33GHz, although it does not see very much usage. I typically only use it for light web surfing near the TV.

ingenious
Oct 24, 2009, 10:33 PM
My mother uses an 867 MHz 12" PowerBook G4 with 1.25 GB RAM for her daily mobile usage. Her work computer is an intel Alu iMac.

NC MacGuy
Oct 24, 2009, 10:51 PM
My mother uses an 867 MHz 12" PowerBook G4 with 1.25 GB RAM for her daily mobile usage. Her work computer is an intel Alu iMac.

I recently put my old 867 12" out of its misery.:(

Still have two 12" 1.5's and a 15" 1.67 working like champs though.:D

powerbook911
Oct 24, 2009, 11:52 PM
I have a 12-inch Powerbook G4 with 1.5 GHZ processor and 1.25 GB of memory (maximum).

I got it in early Feb 2005 right when the last update came out to this model. It has gone through Panther, Tiger, and Leopard.

It's still a nice little notebook. The first year it was my main computer and was used a fair bit, but since then it's only used say a few hours a month, so it still looks really nice.

Actually, I prefer working on my desk with a desktop, so the little guy has remained my notebook computer, for nearly five years. I hope he keeps going. I was scared Snow Leopard would kill him off, but Leopard still interacts with my Snow Leopard macs fine, so the little guy keeps going, knock on wood.

I do have to say the move to Intel sure was needed. It's amazing that in 2005 they sold these expensive notebooks with G4s. The slowest intel machines the next year blew them away, many times over.

Mew2468
Oct 25, 2009, 12:58 AM
I never had a PowerBook...my first Mac laptop was a BlackBook.

RKO
Oct 25, 2009, 01:04 AM
I have the late and old macs but my favorite all time remains to be the 12" 867. I will never retire it until it's time to die.

J DILLA
Oct 25, 2009, 01:33 AM
pbg4 15" 1.67ghz 2gb ram

represent:cool:

Hrududu
Oct 25, 2009, 01:44 AM
My MacBook Pro is my "desktop" system, so on the go I use either my 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook or my 867MHz TiBook. Both are great systems, but the 1.5GHz Powerbook is a real powerhouse. Before I upgraded my MBP to 10.6 I compared the Powerbook and MBP against each other, and the Powerbook actually booted faster, and ran Safari, and other Apps just as fast as the MacBook Pro. Only iPhoto seems sluggish on the G4.

pesc
Oct 25, 2009, 02:54 AM
I have a 1.5GHz 12" with 1,25GB RAM and 160GB HD.

It is four years old now. I REALLY would like to upgrade the second Apple releases a worthy successor. I like my computer to be portable and have a matte screen. Preferably as powerful as possible. Money is not a problem. I will never ever use a glossy screen.

But my 12" is still the latest model Apple has that combines portable and matte screen! :mad::mad::mad:

I have tried several times to like the 15" that can be ordered with matte. My GF has one. And I have been to Apple stores numerous times. But compared to my 12", the 15" is enormously large. Clumsy and clunky. Not the kind of laptop that goes into my backpack every day.

The Air?
I'd love the portability, but compared to my 4 year old 12":
- Air is glossy :(:(:(
- My 12" has 2 USB, firewire and ethernet. Air only has 1 USB, that's it.
- My 4 year old 12" has 160 GB. Air is too thin so it only has (1) 120 GB HD that is MUCH SLOWER than my 12", or (2) 128 GB SSD, nonupgradeable, smaller than my 12"
- My 12" has 1,25 GB RAM. Air only has 2GB. After 4 years, more than 2 2-year cycles of Moores Law (which should double the RAM capacity every two years), the Air doesn't manage to double what I have in my 12". ???!?!?! Come on Apple! RAM is cheap.
- The footprint of the Air is LARGER than the 12". WTF??
- My 12" has optical drive, Air does not. I could live without it though.

I am beginning to be really desperate. I hate glossy screens more that running Windows (and I really hate Windows). I don't know what to do.

I am considering a 13" MBP and letting TechRestore fix it. But the freight from/to Sweden would cost me > $500. Plus $200 to TechRestore. Plus 25% Swedish VAT on top of it all. And what happens if I have a hardware problem? Will Apple still fix it or should I send it to Tech Restore again?

The current Apple laptop lineup really sucks.

Shaduu
Oct 25, 2009, 03:05 AM
I loved my 1GHz, 512MB TiBook and it served me well for pushing six years. I only upgraded to a MBP 'cause I started uni and needed something with some extra power for editing.

Just wish they'd run flash better.

No hulu, no Youtube but most everything else I use them for works remarkably well for the amount of RAM and age of the systems.

I feel your pain: I used to have a PC purely for Youtube and general media 'cause the TiBook couldn't handle it.

iSaint
Oct 25, 2009, 08:59 AM
I have a 1.67ghz with 2gig RAM and an upgraded 250g hard drive. It has a new logic board, so it runs fairly well. The screen is so dim (my eyes are getting old) that I wish I had a new MacBook. Money is the deciding factor at this point.

Ammo
Oct 25, 2009, 09:49 AM
I don't have a Powerbook but a guy I worked with over summer uses his still for video editing and graphic design.

He has a Mac Mini at home and tells me that thing screams compared to the Powerbook. I think he's gonna upgrade soon.

sushi
Oct 25, 2009, 09:56 AM
I upgraded to a MBP15 from my PB15 about 18 months ago because I needed to run Windows.

I still use my PB15 and like it very much. It's 6 years old and still works fine.

spinnerlys
Oct 25, 2009, 10:04 AM
For those with problems running YouTube videos on their G4s, there is a small Safari Add-On called ClickToFLash, which disables Flash content on websites (but the can be enabled by clicking on them) and also allows viewing YouTube videos in the .h264 format via QuickTime.

It saves CPU cycles.

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 25, 2009, 12:13 PM
I still use my 1.33 12" as my main machine every day. It's a great machine only thing I really need is a faster/larger HDD. PPC is still enough for me ;).

J DILLA
Oct 25, 2009, 03:01 PM
For those with problems running YouTube videos on their G4s, there is a small Safari Add-On called ClickToFLash, which disables Flash content on websites (but the can be enabled by clicking on them) and also allows viewing YouTube videos in the .h264 format via QuickTime.

It saves CPU cycles.
any addons for firefox?

hamis92
Oct 25, 2009, 03:24 PM
I switched in 2006, got one of the original MacBooks when they came out. Earlier (2005) I was planning to get a 12-inch PowerBook but decided to wait after I heard Apple would switch to Intel processors.

mofunk
Oct 25, 2009, 03:46 PM
I'm typing from my PB 15in 1.25Ghz. When I got it, I used it for Final Cut Express and photos. Now 6yrs later it still runs better than some PCs I've seen except that the keyboard & battery needs replacing. I will soon get a MBP and probably keep the PB because it runs Tiger. Some of the features I use a lot on Tiger aren't on Leopard or Snow Leopard. Its a shame Apple took away the Bluetooth sync in Address book. I guess they assume that everyone would own an iPhone and didn't need to send vCards to their phones.

I'm not mad though, because I use my PB a lot and I'm surprised that it has lasted this long.

patrixl
Oct 25, 2009, 04:56 PM
I have a 1.5GHz 12" with 1,25GB RAM and 160GB HD.

Awesome story about your 12"... I often wish I had jumped on the Macs a year or two earlier, and I feel nostalgic for the PPC. lol.

I had a PowerBook 3400 back in 2000, but it saw very little use after 2002 or 2003, was on PCs running Linux until I got a Macbook in 2006.

Gotta say something though:

- My 12" has 1,25 GB RAM. Air only has 2GB. After 4 years, more than 2 2-year cycles of Moores Law (which should double the RAM capacity every two years), the Air doesn't manage to double what I have in my 12". ???!?!?! Come on Apple! RAM is cheap.

Moore's law isn't about double everything every 2 years.

The original Moore's Law states that the number of transistors that can be placed on integrated circuits doubles every 18 months or 2 years or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

Now sure that means we can increase the RAM capacity by putting more transistors on a chip, but that still doesn't directly equate doubling up the amount of RAM every 2 years.

California
Oct 25, 2009, 05:06 PM
I'm on my 12" 1.5ghz Powerbook maxed with 320 hard drive and 1.25ram
running a 30" Apple Cinema display at low resolution of course -- right now. My Mac Mini 2009 seems to have a video card issue.

Actually it plays Hulu and You Tube fine.

The next step to keep these matte screen Apple beauties going is a huge SSD Pata drive.

Oh, and I sold this same model powerbook last year to get the new unibody Macbook aluminum.

That thing sucked. Sold it and bought this one.

cluthz
Oct 25, 2009, 05:52 PM
I loved the 12 inch G4, had two of those, amazing machines.
I had the 12 inch until the Santa Rosa MPB came out, and once I switched I realized how dated the G4 chip was.

The 12 inch Powerbook design was awesome tho!!!

I also had quite a few Powerbook Duos (230, 280 and 2300) those was great computers too. Almost like netbooks back then! I remember other people dragging on 15 lbs laptops and when they saw the 4 lbs Powerbook Duo in 1992 most ppl didn't understand how it was possible

California
Oct 25, 2009, 07:31 PM
Mac Mini 2.66ghz in a Powerbook 12" case, please.

Cricketman
Oct 25, 2009, 07:35 PM
All my teachers still use the 12' Powerbooks.

harcosparky
Oct 25, 2009, 08:34 PM
My 'main' is a 15" MBP.

However I have a 12" PB that is used exclusively for certain tasks/projects like amateur radio.

It's a perfect match for that task, even more so in portable operations.

We use it to control transmitters and to send digital data via HF bands.

It's does a heck of a job with all digital modes - including digital images via SSTV

daneoni
Oct 25, 2009, 09:08 PM
I had 3 powerbooks; my first mac a 12" and two 15" models but i switched to Intel when reality set in that PPC was no longer fully capable of handling my uses

icbreeze
Oct 25, 2009, 09:44 PM
Still going =D
Powerbook G4 12", 1.5GHz, 768MB bought it in 2005.

Dropped it like a billion times, never given in to service, still works, runs the pretty much most of adobe suit (photoshop, illustrator, indesign) + firefox + word and the occasional itunes and vlc all at once for my industrial design degree. May lag a times but still does the job.

Though i am thinking about buying the new mbp, just waiting on apple to release the new processor update to them....

Sirobin
Oct 25, 2009, 09:55 PM
I still have my 15” 1.67 GHz Powerbook with 120 GB hard drive and 2 GBs of RAM. Thing runs like a champ, though considering I now have a Mac Pro, it doesn’t exactly get a lot of use:p

EndlessMac
Oct 25, 2009, 09:55 PM
I still have my 1.0 Ghz 15" PowerBook but it was getting too slow for my needs. I can still use it for lighter tasks but there is a huge performance difference from my MBP so it has become my main computer. There were also a few things that needed Intel chips because they were no longer supporting or never supported PowerPC chips so I started realizing an upgrade was becoming unavoidable for my needs. I was never one of those people who were sentimental about PowerPCs so I'm not trying to force myself to keep using it. I do really miss the keyboard on my PowerBook though. The chiclet style keyboard isn't bad but I like my PowerBook better.

twiztidsid13
Oct 25, 2009, 09:57 PM
i had a 13inch powerbook G4, one of if not the best computer i ever had
i kinda made some misstakes and was rough with my powerbook and it died! :mad: im alot nicer to my computers now! But it just worked so well with panther and it worked better then any PC i EVER seen EVER! Whenever im looking on ebay I still take a look at just about ever powerbook. they still have a great resale value and people still love them!

vitavo
Oct 26, 2009, 08:59 AM
I had a 1GHz 12" which I loved, but made the mistake of selling it last winter thinking I was going to get a uMB soon. 10 months of using a crap Dell and I'm finally swimming in 13" MBP bliss.

PracticalMac
Oct 26, 2009, 09:39 AM
It may be old, but runs SKYPE and iChat like a champ!

Use eCamm software to make iChat use the iSight or FireWire Camcorder, and works just as well as my new MBP.

It is the best laptop evah, and is still a solid machine today, 9 year later!

PS: Still have my PowerBook 520c and wifes 550c, and every once in while fire those up as well. And yes, they are not just a pretty box. :D

instaxgirl
Oct 26, 2009, 10:12 AM
I remember looking at the 12" Powerbooks back in 2005. I saved my pennies and bought an iBook instead.

I sometimes think about getting a new computer, but worry that it wouldn't be as reliable as this one. This thing's never given me a problem.

McShizzel
Oct 26, 2009, 10:18 AM
My Mac Pro is my main everyday computer but I still use my 15" PowerBook from time to time to use Adobe suite CS2.

A little slow but it still chugs along...

Clete2
Oct 26, 2009, 10:19 AM
I've only ever used a PowerBook briefly. Of course, I wouldn't want to use something that old anymore. :)

edesignuk
Oct 26, 2009, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't say it runs Leopard like a champ (thinking of putting Tiger back on it actually), though it does run it.

My fine lady wife uses it every day, it's a 15" 1.5GHz G4 / 1.25GB RAM. Good enough for a bit of surfing.

MultiFinder17
Oct 26, 2009, 10:33 AM

Use eCamm software to make iChat use the iSight or FireWire Camcorder, and works just as well as my new MBP.

PS: Still have my PowerBook 520c and wifes 550c, and every once in while fire those up as well. And yes, they are not just a pretty box. :D

Sweet man! I have a 500MHz Pismo as well that I still use from time to time - they really are great computers :)

clyde2801
Oct 26, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have the late and old macs but my favorite all time remains to be the 12" 867. I will never retire it until it's time to die.

For you, or for the computer?

Paisan3466
Oct 26, 2009, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't say it runs Leopard like a champ (thinking of putting Tiger back on it actually), though it does run it.

My fine lady wife uses it every day, it's a 15" 1.5GHz G4 / 1.25GB RAM. Good enough for a bit of surfing.

I actually just did the same thing. Leopard ran a little slow and way to many spinning beachballs. Since I downgraded to Tiger it runs like a champ.

Macdctr
Nov 25, 2009, 08:21 PM

Sweet man! I have a 500MHz Pismo as well that I still use from time to time - they really are great computers :)

I just wanted to say that it's nice seeing others using the Pismo after all these years :D! I use mine when I'm just relaxing and want to surf the internet for an extended time period. Love the battery life on this computer!!! My MBP can't even touch my Pismo as far as battery life is concerned :p

My Pismo has been upgraded lots since 2002. I'm now rocking with a G4 550Mhz processor, 1GB ram and 120GB hard drive. I'm running OS 10.4.11 and it's been solid. Probably the most versatile laptop I have ever owned....still my "preferred" internet surfer...:apple:

agr5
Dec 7, 2009, 05:22 PM
My Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz is running like a champ still! I use it for my everyday computer. It has 1GB of ram, but I actually have 1 more GB on the way (should be here tomorrow).

I recently just revamped it (re-installed Tiger) to get rid of a lot of un-need things. It is pretty snappy now and should be even better with the 2GB of RAM :D

I'm really thinking of purchasing a new 27" quad-core iMac. I am graduating from college here in the spring and thinking of getting an early graduation gift for me...

My only complaint is (like said before) that youtube videos and other video sites run slowly. Not sure what to do about this... any suggestions?

mackpro
Dec 10, 2009, 10:25 AM
The Air?
I'd love the portability, but compared to my 4 year old 12":
- Air is glossy :(:(:(

have you ever seen a macbook air? they arent glossy

iShater
Dec 10, 2009, 10:28 AM
My primary is a 15" aMBP, however, my 12" PB is the main when traveling or doing special projects.

I just bought a new battery for it yesterday, and I plan to up the RAM to squeeze more juice out of it :)

MultiFinder17
Dec 10, 2009, 12:54 PM
have you ever seen a macbook air? they arent glossy

They aren't *as* glossy as the glass-screened MacBook Pros, but they are indeed glossy.

macgeek18
Dec 10, 2009, 03:30 PM
I should have a 1.5Ghz or 1.67Ghz Powerbook G4 by Christmas,My 466Mhz iBook Clamshell running Tiger finally ate it after 4 months of use.:( I love clamshells and will always have one around though.:DMy Powerbook could become my main system.:D

buddy1065
Dec 11, 2009, 08:04 AM
I came on board when they had the Titaniums and the 667 mhz was the coolest running that I had. Loved it. The earlier models actually burned me. The main downside was paint issues. From there I got the 1.2 ? Ghz 17", which Apple upgraded to a 1.5 Ghz because of an unfixable screen issue. I still have the 1.5 Ghz 17" but plan to sell it soon; there is not a scratch on it except for wear and tear on the underside and a few missing feet. My main laptop is a 2.4 Ghz MBP with 256 nVidia 8600m. At present I am only using the 17" to play Giants Citizen Kabuto, a very old retro game bought off eBay, which I loved. But if the deal falls thru I wont mind keeping the 17" a bit longer. I tether both simultaneously to my iPhone 3GS wirelessly using MyWi but ssshhhh...don't tell anyone.

At this point I want a considerable boost in graphics and the 9600 nVidia is not enough incentive to upgrade my MPB 8600 nVidia. Perhaps their next upgraded models in January (?) will be more interesting.