PDA

View Full Version : Sharing an airport extreme connection

w00tmaster
Jul 21, 2004, 10:19 PM
Hey all,
Well, after some unpleasentness with Apple, my new G5 is almost here, but I have a question, I have a wireless network in my apartment(an airport station, but the Japanese airport made by IOData :P), and I was wondering, I know it is possible to share my internet connection via an ethernet cable when my iBook is awake, is it possible to do it while it is asleep?(ie turn it into only a router)
I will probably buy an aiport extreme card for my g5 eventually, just don't have the scratch right now.
Also, any clue where I could find an a cheap range booster, I managed to lose my external antennae :(

LeeTom
Jul 21, 2004, 10:48 PM
When the iBook sleeps, so does its routing. Furthermore, when it wakes up, I think you have to enable it again (which is kind of annoying). No way around this.

Lee Tom

iNetwork
Jul 21, 2004, 11:31 PM
Hey all,
Well, after some unpleasentness with Apple, my new G5 is almost here, but I have a question, I have a wireless network in my apartment(an airport station, but the Japanese airport made by IOData :P), and I was wondering, I know it is possible to share my internet connection via an ethernet cable when my iBook is awake, is it possible to do it while it is asleep?(ie turn it into only a router)
I will probably buy an aiport extreme card for my g5 eventually, just don't have the scratch right now.
Also, any clue where I could find an a cheap range booster, I managed to lose my external antennae :(
The airport itself is a NAT router. Plug your WAN (broadband) connection into the WAN port on the airport, then plug a computer into the LAN part of the airport. If you want to plug more than 1 computer into the LAN wired network, just add any consumer switch to the LAN port and then plug in your computers to the switch.