Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
I am starting to get fed up with the quality of DVD and want to pursue the HD video route for my movie collection. However, I don't want to keep that many Blu-ray disc at home.

My Mac mini is connected to 2 external hard disks: Western Digital MyBook Studio 500GB and 2TB version. One is for iTunes, the other one is for EyeTV recording and DVD backup. The Mac mini is driving my Sony HW-10 for movies and songs. You can refer to "My Home Theatre Setup with Sony HW-10" for the pictures. I don't want to ruin my new projector and want to enjoy some really high quality video at home.

Is there any native blu-ray drive to recommend or you are already using?

Currently MacTheRipper and HandBrake do me a very good job for helping me to backup and convert DVD to H.264 video. Any similar tools around for blu-ray?

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Subject

This subject has been discussed over and over again here on Macrumors. If you look just a couple posts down you will find your answer. or click here

Blu-Ray is not native to Mac OS X. But you can use MakeMKV to rip one to .mkv and play it with Plex, or go further and encode it with Handbrake for your ATV or iTune collection.

I use this Blu-Ray drive.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I use this Blu-Ray drive.

The reviews for this on Amazon are all negative. I only need a drive to rip Blu Ray disks using MakeMKV, not to watch them on my Mac, so I presume this works okay for that...? Did you need any additional software? (One of the criticisms is that additional software had to be purchased to get it to work.

TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.