6 Speed Semi-Automatic.
Lots and lots of carbon fibre.
Road going version of new Le Mans car.
Fast as *$@! as well. :D

Now listen very carefully 007! :p :p :p

Thoughts?

iGav
Jul 22, 2004, 08:17 AM
It's wild it's brutal, it's British! The country's most famous supercar builder has just unveiled this ultimate evolution of the DB9 - a car that will not only be seen on the road, but on the race track at Le Mans.

The newcomer promises to be one of the most extreme cars Aston Martin has ever built and draws heavily on the firm's history, resurrecting the DBR badge first used on the DBR1 in 1956. Conceived as a racing car, homologation requirements mean that a small number look certain to be built for Aston's best customers. As yet, there's no word on price.

Set to join rivals including the Maserati MC12 and still-secret roadgoing version of the Lamborghini Murciélago GT-R, the DBR9 is tipped to offer a 600bhp-plus evolution of the 6.0-litre V12 that powers the standard car, plus a new six-speed semi-auto gearbox.

Lightweight composite panels will be combined with the car's advanced aluminium and carbon sandwich chassis, while uprated suspension will be developed to ensure the DBR9 can handle the rigours of some of the world's toughest race tracks. Bigger carbon composite brakes will guarantee huge stopping power, while massive alloy wheels and super-sticky tyres should increase the amount of grip on offer. However, while the technical specification of the newcomer will be massively uprated over standard, it's the wild-looking exterior which is sure to generate the most debate among fans.

Virtually every body panel has been modified to improve performance. At the front, there's an enlarged radiator grille for better engine cooling. The tarmac-scraping bumper, meanwhile, is designed to force air around the car, rather than underneath it, and sports extra brake-cooling vents to force fresh air through the front wheels. The bonnet is expected to be made of carbon fibre, while the sweeping roofline is likely to get extra cooling vents not shown in our pictures.

The doors remain near standard, however, while massive side sills widen the car's track, and have also sprouted high-performance side exit exhausts.

At the rear there's a new wing, as well as a huge under-body venturi tunnel designed to suck the car to the ground at high speed. Inside, the car is likely to sport a stripped-out interior and roll cage to help stiffen the chassis further. Bucket seats and race regulation fire extinguishers will replace the leather and aluminium trim of the standard machine.

First examples of the car are likely to hit the road in 2005, and will spearhead the marque's return to international motor racing. 'Works' cars will be built by Prodrive, the racing outfit based in Banbury, Oxfordshire, which is currently responsible for the design, development and management of the car's entire racing programme.

At present, Aston plans to field two cars at the Le Mans 24 Hours and up to six others in a variety of events across Europe and America.

"The design of the DB9 lends itself to be translated perfectly into the DBR9 race car," explained Jeremy Main, Aston Martin's Director of Product Development and Motorsport.

"While the DBR9 has been planned for outright performance, every surface sculpture and design detail has been developed to the same high standards as seen on Aston Martin's road cars.

Applexilef
Jul 22, 2004, 08:53 AM
That thing is hot!!! :eek: :eek:

I kinda see it as what the Ferrari Challenger Stradale is to the 360 Modena.

Angelus
Jul 22, 2004, 09:00 AM
Ever since i saw jeremy clarkson's review of the Aston Martin DB9 on Top Gear it has been my dream car.

edesignuk
Jul 22, 2004, 09:01 AM
Holy jesus, "mr ed's" pants are officially moistened! :eek:

http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif

krimson
Jul 22, 2004, 09:04 AM
*waits for rotten veggies*
I dont think it's very attractive at all. Specs are wonderful though.
*ducks*

edesignuk
Jul 22, 2004, 09:06 AM
*ducks*You best be pulling my chain boi. No one talks ill of the DB9 in this little corner of the intarweb!!!! :mad:

:D :p ;)

krimson
Jul 22, 2004, 09:11 AM
I was getting my hotpocket out of the microwave, and i realized why... it looks like the Chrysler Sebring to me.. a car im not fond of :p ;)

edesignuk
Jul 22, 2004, 09:15 AM
it looks like the ChryslerA Crysler!?!?!?!?! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

krimson
Jul 22, 2004, 09:24 AM
heh, i work with a few ex-pat's, i know how to get you brits riled up ;)

iGav
Jul 22, 2004, 09:33 AM
That thing is hot!!! :eek: :eek:

I kinda see it as what the Ferrari Challenger Stradale is to the 360 Modena.

same kind of thing... although it's competing more with Lamborghini's Murcielago R-GT and Ferrari's 575 GTC.

mymemory
Jul 22, 2004, 10:08 AM
*ducks*

I am agree, the rear look better than the front. The car that I liked the most was the Lotus Sprit and of course some of the Lamborginis.

iMook
Jul 22, 2004, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I saw this car a few days on some auto enthusiast website.

I just stared for about 30 seconds, without moving a muscle.

This car has VERY aggressive styling, but I really think the asphalt-scraping front bumper could use more practicality, if this car is indeed becoming road-worthy in its unmodified form. The styling is even more impressive considering it's an Aston Martin. I mean, look at the larger body lines of the Vanquish and DB7, then look at the Audi Le Mans supercar. There's absolutely no comparison in how fast the car LOOKS. THIS car looks absolutely supersonic.

Okay... that was rather gushy. Still, very nice car.

P.S. - Now that I look at it again, it actually reminds me of a stylish ricer (almost an oxymoron), with the exaggerated skirts and high rear spoiler, but oozing Aston Martin style.

iMook
Jul 22, 2004, 10:34 AM
sorry, double post.

iMook
Jul 22, 2004, 10:34 AM
So looking at this thread has prompted me to go on a Web foray into new supercar concepts, and I dug up this. Can you tell what this is? It's SUCH a radical departure from the previous generation.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/05/gtrr35concept_01.jpg

krimson
Jul 22, 2004, 10:51 AM
the URL gives it away ;)

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/05/gtrr35concept_01.jpg

stevehaslip
Jul 22, 2004, 11:17 AM
that new aston kicks some serious arse. nice wheels! bellas rodders!! :D
that pic 2 posts up is the latest concept for the skyline, i think it was unveiled in tokyo a while back. nice but the next skyline won't look anything like that! its a shame but its true! (krimson hinted but not everyone will know what a gtr r35 is!:D:D)

edesignuk
Jul 22, 2004, 11:38 AM
Just looked at the pictures again, and still, god damn that looks good, and it has the POWAR to back it up, so, so, so sweeeeet! :cool: :D

gwuMACaddict
Jul 22, 2004, 11:46 AM
beautiful car... amazing specs too...

anyone know a price yet? (i'm sure i dont wanna know...)

krimson
Jul 22, 2004, 11:51 AM
i believe the phrase "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" applies here. :D

edesignuk
Jul 22, 2004, 11:52 AM
Better pic (no watermark) http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_drool.gif

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/images/dbr9.gif

krimson
Jul 22, 2004, 12:13 PM
k, i retract my statement from before.. it looks more like a CLK

edesignuk
Jul 22, 2004, 12:19 PM
k, i retract my statement from before.. it looks more like a CLK
It looks nothing like a CLK!

CLK 55AMG, you think the DBR9 looks like this? :confused:
http://highresautoimages.com/mercedes/clk554.jpg

gwuMACaddict
Jul 22, 2004, 12:47 PM
i believe the phrase "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" applies here. :D

no kidding i cant afford it yet, but i can still be curious right now... does anybody know a price? has one been set?

robbieduncan
Jul 22, 2004, 12:50 PM
I think he meant this CLK:

http://www.germancarfans.com/news/2040503.002/2040503.002.1L.jpg

edesignuk
Jul 22, 2004, 12:53 PM
I think he meant this CLK:

[IMG]http://www.germancarfans.com/news/2040503.002/2040503.002.1L.jpg[IMG]
OK, even so, other than the fact they are both gray, I don't think you can say they look the same at all.

krimson
Jul 22, 2004, 01:08 PM
more like Warsteiner's CLK AMG from '02, which i can't find a decent photo of..

edit:
Rear 1/4panel older body CLK
Front looks like a bastardized DB7/Sebring/"Combat" body kit

MacFan26
Jul 22, 2004, 03:20 PM
that is one sweet aston martin. I'd say I like the looks of the Vanquish better, but if someone were to give me one for free, I'd take either one :D

justinshiding
Jul 22, 2004, 04:07 PM
Nice looking car....Honestly it could be toned down a bit (not the specs...those are great), but that damned wing on the back looks like it came off of one of the civics i see driving around all the time.

Although on second though , that car would be fast enough to perhaps actually require that kind of spoiler (unlike the civics.)

cheekyspanky
Jul 22, 2004, 07:50 PM
Can I ask iGav, are you a fellow Auto Express subscriber...?!

evoluzione
Jul 23, 2004, 01:03 AM
bah, it's still a Ford is it not? ;)

yeah it looks decent, still looks way too much like the DB7, a car i was never too fond of, just reminds me of a better looking XK8...

i'd rather have a gallardo believe it or not....

if it was made in Newport Pagnell, I might like it a bit more

iris_failsafe
Jul 23, 2004, 01:25 AM
I bet Steve Jobs has one of those. My vote goes to the Mclaren Mercedes SLR

garybUK
Jul 23, 2004, 04:23 AM
bah, it's still a Ford is it not? ;)

yeah it looks decent, still looks way too much like the DB7, a car i was never too fond of, just reminds me of a better looking XK8...

Ok lets get one thing streight, it is NOT a ford. yeah they own the company but only because ford couldn't make a luxury car to save their life! thats why they bought Jag/Aston this thing is as british as fish and chips.. what a absolutely beutiful car ... /me drooools ... what a beast. I see loads of Astons / Mercs / jags etc.. etc.. driving through manchester all the time but this one has to be the nicest aston ive seen.

I liked when Jeremy Clarkson beat the TVR from england to monaco by going like 190mph down the motorway in france in a DB9 :)

Top cars: Aston DBR9, Ford GT (new one), Proche GT3 Carrera, TVR Cerbera & Noble M14 ..

oh well i'll get in my little weak 1.4 zetec fiesta tonight and carry on saving for my new car :(

m.r.m.
Jul 23, 2004, 04:51 AM
Nice looking car....Honestly it could be toned down a bit (not the specs...those are great), but that damned wing on the back looks like it came off of one of the civics i see driving around all the time.

Although on second though , that car would be fast enough to perhaps actually require that kind of spoiler (unlike the civics.)

you mean you´ve never taken a civic to 240mph? :D

iGav
Jul 23, 2004, 05:35 AM
Can I ask iGav, are you a fellow Auto Express subscriber...?!

I am. ;) only online though, I don't read the magazine.

I buy Autocar (the best mag, as they're the only ones to actually carry full performance tests and also the mag of choice from car designers that I know) CAR Magazine and if there's anything interesting in it, Evo, but I really dislike the way they use the term 'evoness', :rolleyes: unnecessarily frequent... almost to the level that I get the idea that they don't actually realise what 'evo' means. :eek: :rolleyes:

iGav
Jul 23, 2004, 05:52 AM
Ok lets get one thing streight, it is NOT a ford.

The DB9 isn't... ;) but both the DB7 and Vanquish use enough Ford parts that it could be argued. :eek: heheheh

As for Jaguar, well the X-Type IS a Ford Mondeo, uses Mondeo platform, engines and interior parts... in otherwords it ain't a Jag. :eek: :p That's going to change though with the next generation X Type moving to Jaguars own Aluminium Monocoque platform that is used in the XJ, XK and S-type models.

Both brands would now likely be dead (or possibly TVR size) if it wasn't for Ford taking them over. The only thing Ford has done wrong is using it's own parts in what are 2 of the most recognised brands in the world. Whether you spend £30k on a Jag or £130k on an Aston you want the quality that reflects that, not a car that is fundamentally a mainstream Mondeo or utilises Ford interior parts in a luxury interior. Ford have recognised this though, and with next gen Jags and Astons we should be seeing a return to more acceptable and unique products.

iGav
Jul 23, 2004, 06:11 AM

I was suggesting a similar thing on mr ed's forums... ;) the DB7 and XK8 are also fundamentally the same car underneath :eek:

I was discussing this the other night with some mates, if I was on the look out for supercar, then I think I'd be screwed, as at the moment I really don't know what I'd buy. :eek:

I've never liked Porsche's, (356 excluded) none of the current Ferrari's float my boat... the 360 is nasty, the 575 looking dated, the 612 doesn't look resolved, sure the Enzo is the mutts nuts, but it's also out of production.

I've never much liked Lamborghini's, the Gallardo isn't a bad looking car, but again it's main interior guts are ripped straight out of an Audi A4 and that's unacceptable on a £100k car.

I do like the Ford GT... but it is rather expensive at £120k and the interior lacks something. But I think I'd rather have a replica GT40 as the original is still way cooler, better looking and just as fast. and you'd still have about £60k left from the GT's £120k price tag.

So yeah... basically I'd be screwed. Well until the next gen RS6 is released that is. heheheheh.

garybUK
Jul 23, 2004, 07:20 AM
I've never liked Porsche's, (356 excluded) none of the current Ferrari's float my boat...

I do like the Ford GT... but it is rather expensive at £120k and the interior lacks something.

Actually on Top Gear when he (Jeremy Clarkson) tested, on the track, the Ford GT Production I noticed that it had the same steering column as my Fiesta :eek: :eek: :eek: i agree with you about the jags / astons, keep them running as they are, they have good markets don't ruin it!

I am not keen on Ferrari's at all, I dont really trust anything out of Italy though ;)

Now ... Noble M14 wow what a car, take a gander at this: http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2005-Noble-M14.htm wow! i want one :cool:

Best place to go look at some nice cars!! --> Manchester United training ground .. wow they have some really really nice cars :P i take it to be the same as most footy clubs, apart from Arsenal, Tierrie Henry in a clio... no vava voom :P

iGav
Jul 23, 2004, 07:42 AM
Actually on Top Gear when he (Jeremy Clarkson) tested, on the track, the Ford GT Production I noticed that it had the same steering column as my Fiesta

I was also abit surprised how not especially fast the GT was, it's a thumper in a straight line, but it was only .4 quicker than a 360 CS around a track, and considering it's pushing almost twice the torque and 130bhp more I was expecting more from it. I think it's to safe to say that the new 360 replacement will comfortably thrash it around the track for similar money.

But it's a cracking looking machine, just let down by abit of interior detailing really. I'd probably still take a GT40 replica though, there's a company in South Africa that actually reproduce them perfectly as they have the original moulds, and for about £60k you'd have a car almost identical to the original but with modern tech. :D

wow ... Noble M14 wow what a car

I'm not sure about Noble, the M12 was abit of terrible juxtaposition of a 1st gen Elise with 1st gen Mondeo tail lights! :eek: :p and the M14 doesn't really change my opinion. Each to there own though. ;)

Best place to go look at some nice cars!! --> Manchester United training ground .. wow they have some really really nice cars

Shame they're all driven by wankers though... :eek: :p :p :p

stevehaslip
Jul 23, 2004, 08:29 AM
the new GT40 was aiming to beat the 360cs though? i didn't think it would be at the top of the list when you look at the other cars there, the sub zero beasts!

but seriously only 28 GT40's are coming to the UK and Clarkson is getting one!! as soon as he gets his hands on it, it will be worth more than he paid for it! cos its so limited edition. but the fact that he will have to fill it up everytime he goes to or from the studio made me laugh!:p Also the way he has to get in it!!!:D:D:D

iGav
Jul 23, 2004, 08:55 AM
the new GT40 was aiming to beat the 360cs though? i didn't think it would be at the top of the list when you look at the other cars there, the sub zero beasts!

It wasn't at the top, it was below both the McMerc SLR and Carrera GT, but those cost A LOT more than the GT though.

According to Fords Neil Hannemann they were targetting the standard 360 as the image car and the Honda NSX as a benchmark for everyday usability. I think they added the extra 50bhp (originally it was going to be only 500bhp) as it was unlikely that it'd beat a 360 CS, hence why it's more powerful.

But considering it's hp and torque advantage, I was expecting it to be quicker than CS but by a greater margin. I guess it just demonstrates exactly how good the CS actually is with it's relatively puny 420bhp. :eek: :p

A better review than Top Gear's *coughs* attempt, can be found here...

http://www.autocarmag.com/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT_ID=209359

evoluzione
Jul 23, 2004, 09:08 AM
and Clarkson is getting one!!

at least he fits in this one, he never did fit in the GT40...anyone remember why it was so named??? ;)

iGAV ... i hear ya on the supercar choice, it's a toughie. and that's exactly what i was getting at with my DB/Jag/Ford comments. Astons are hand built cars in my mind still, having lived so close to Newport Pagnell and seeing them fly past me on the bypass, still remember one just disappear and i was in my lancia doing well over a ton at the time! :eek: I never did like the DB7, the production car...

iGav
Jul 23, 2004, 09:17 AM
at least he fits in this one, he never did fit in the GT40...anyone remember why it was so named??? ;)

I do... I do... :D

As for Clarkson not fitting in one, it must have been the set up, I've sat in a replica and I squeezed it, and I'm 6,3" with more 'girth' than Mr Clarkson. :eek: :p

For the record the new GT could be called a 'GT43'. ;)

I never did like the DB7, the production car...

The MASS production car you mean. heheh :eek: :p :p

cheekyspanky
Jul 23, 2004, 09:54 AM
I still think I'd opt for the DB9 over the GT, Gallardo etc, its just more sophisticated looking I think. Here's a photo I took at the Birmingham Motor show in May - it doesn't look quite so sophisticated with half missing!

http://www.portsmouthphotos.co.uk/DB9_Sliced.jpg

evoluzione
Jul 23, 2004, 06:46 PM
I do... I do... :D

As for Clarkson not fitting in one, it must have been the set up, I've sat in a replica and I squeezed it, and I'm 6,3" with more 'girth' than Mr Clarkson. :eek: :p

For the record the new GT could be called a 'GT43'. ;)

The MASS production car you mean. heheh :eek: :p :p

yeah, that's what i meant, "mass" production...smart arse (ass ;) )

hahaha, GT43 doesn't quite sound right now does it? Or even GT109.22 if you're metric heh :D

johnnowak
Jul 23, 2004, 11:25 PM
The picture is actually just an artist's interpretation. It will not look (exactly) like that. It's too Max Power anyway...

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2004, 12:56 AM
I dunno this stuff is hott hott hott.

Nice stuff Nice Stuff.

:D