Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Hi guys,
im almost ready to purchase my 1st apple product an iPod Touch
Im planning on using it as a pocket PC, for internet browsing and also obviously music + video. As next year i will be in the U.S studying and on campus i will be exposed to wifi. im currently in living Australia

I just have a few questions and hoping they could be answered.

With the iPod Touch, when wifi is detected and im able to go on to the internet am i able to send and receive emails using safari and logging into my windows live account?

Am i also able to log on to facebook and use the chat function, or is it better to get an app that enables facebook and msn chat all in the one app ?

thanks
daniel

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
There's a factory app that allows you to set up your emails. you'll receive a notification if you allow "push" to be on. For Facebook, you can download the free application and use it. You can chat on there. I personally think the Facebook application is waaaaay better than the site...b/c theres no ads xD

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Welcome to the U.S. And glad to hear you’re looking at your first Apple product! Macs, iPhones, and iPods are HUGE here in the U.S. Well, to answer your questions…

The iPod touch works great for music and video (of course). But also the built-in Wi-Fi gives you wireless Internet access anywhere you’ve got a signal — so if you’re on a campus, it should work out great.

To check your email, you can use Safari. However, the iPod touch has an app called “Mail”, which enables you to check your email much more elegantly and easily. It’s very easy to setup and works with about everything, including Windows Live.

If you’re wanting to use Facebook on your iPod touch, there’s an app for that. It’s a free download via the iTunes App Store, and it works quite well. It’s got the chat functionality built-in, and I think it works quite well. There are other apps that combine multiple clients into one (MSN, AOL, Yahoo, etc.), but it just comes down to personal preference.

Hope this answers some of your questions! Where in the U.S. will you be staying? :)

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks for answering my questions guys, great help :)

Il be staying in New York. The University is SUNY in New Paltz.

And even though il be purchasing my product here in Australia, Everything will work fine with the wifi and browsing the web ?

thanks
daniel

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Also, things like viewing say a pdf file from an email, is that possible?

and you cant use it as a storage device can you ?

rprince

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Also, things like viewing say a pdf file from an email, is that possible?

and you cant use it as a storage device can you ?

Viewing PDFs, DOCs and XLS is possible in both the Email app and the web browser (Safari). It's built in and works really well.

As for storage, there are a couple of Apps in the store (I think) that let you transfer files over WiFi from a program you would have to download to the PC you are using. However, this is nowhere near as convenient as being able to plug it into the USB. I'd advise buying a USB memory stick of 4GB or so. They're really tiny, so you can just have it hanging on your keyring!

As for wifi working, it should do. WiFi is a standard adopted across the world. I certainly didn't have any problems with the WiFi on my UK iPhone when in North America (or anywhere else in Europe).

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Ok thanks for your reply,

Id also like to know if its possible to simply transfer files across bluetooth ?

thanks
daniel

rprince

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Ok thanks for your reply,

Id also like to know if its possible to simply transfer files across bluetooth ?

thanks
daniel

Nope, I'm a frayed knot.

There's a couple of contact transfer apps, but I think they go via the internet (over WiFi or 3G), but no file transfer.

The bluetooth only currently works for headsets and peer-to-peer gaming.

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
sorry guys another question.

What about adding attachments to emails is that possible ?

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
hey guys i just got my 64gig touch

how long do i charge it for ?

thanks
daniel

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
ok thanks

ive just connected it to the PC, leaving it.

i just click the top left button on the ipod touch to check how the charge is going every now and then.

is that ok to do this ?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Yeah, feel free to even listen to music on it as it's charging - it's still going to charge as it's playing, it won't hurt it or anything :)

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
oh sweet, thats good to know. well considering im in australia, and its 2am i think i might let it charge while i sleep and wake up in 4 hrs lol

oh and thanks for the quick reply its much appreciated

daniel

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
ok thanks for that

also, i have the skype app.

when i connect my headphones that have the mic on it, it comes up with a error saying that no mic is detected.

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
also,
when i go into settings and the about. it says its version is 3.1.1 .

im reading stuff about jailbreaking, but for version 3.1.2 ?

is this the same

i just bought the ipod touch 64gig yesterday

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
also,
when i go into settings and the about. it says its version is 3.1.1 .

im reading stuff about jailbreaking, but for version 3.1.2 ?

is this the same

i just bought the ipod touch 64gig yesterday

3.1.2 is the latest firmware. I don't think there is much difference between it and 3.1.1, but if you are interested in jailbreaking, it's more likely to succeed if you update to 3.1.2. Just connect your touch to iTunes, and click "update."

daniel000

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Hmm, im having major issues with jailbreaking with blackrain.

I updated firmware to 3.1.2 and jailbroke using blackrain successfully.

Downloaded Cydia and installed a few apps.
The 1st time around i tried to install winterboard, after the install, the ipod turned off and when i tried to turn it on again, it got stuck on the connect to iTunes screen.

The 2nd and 3rd times, once the iPod turned off, and i tried to turn it on again, the same thing happened.

Im confused on what i should do now, why cant mine be jailbroken ?

I have a 64gig 3g 3.1.2 Ipod Touch

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hmm, im having major issues with jailbreaking with blackrain.

I updated firmware to 3.1.2 and jailbroke using blackrain successfully.

Downloaded Cydia and installed a few apps.
The 1st time around i tried to install winterboard, after the install, the ipod turned off and when i tried to turn it on again, it got stuck on the connect to iTunes screen.

The 2nd and 3rd times, once the iPod turned off, and i tried to turn it on again, the same thing happened.

Im confused on what i should do now, why cant mine be jailbroken ?

I have a 64gig 3g 3.1.2 Ipod Touch

This is normal behavior with a 3rd gen touch. When you install Winterboard, it reboots your touch. Since you have a 3rd gen touch, you have a tethered jailbreak. So whenever your touch powers off or reboots, you get the connect to iTunes screen. Just connect it to your computer and run blackra1n again, (ignore iTunes telling you you have to restore) and you'll be back to a jailbroken touch with winterboard installed and ready to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.