Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Hi all,

This might fall under the "stupid pet tricks" section of MacRumors, but it is an aspect of Mac hardware/software about which I am genuinely naive and could use a little help. Here's the scoop:

I've got a seriously amped up Beige G3 (specs below), however, one thing I could really use for audio/video sampling is a DVD player (I do a little DJ work on the side). I'm a little reticent to muck around further with the innards of my machine, so I'm considering purchasing an external DVD player. Here's the stuff I don't know:

* How would my Mac handle decoding (playing movies, music DVDs, MP3 DVDs, etc...) with an external DVD player? I'm using a Rage 128 pull from a Blue/White that theoretically can decode DVDs, but will it work with an external firewire drive? Since my MoBo is a bit hacked together, I also noticed that the original internal ATI graphics board (6MB) also has the ability to decode DVDs, and this same question applies... How would I enable either of these graphics boards to decode an external (Firewire - presumably Oxford 911) DVD signal, or does OSX do this automatically?

* If I purchase an external combo drive or DVD-ROM (read DVDs only), will it work with iDVD for playback? Does iDVD use software decoding if neither of my graphics cards will do it?

* Should I get a DVD-RAM, what programs will burn to an external Firewire DVD player? Toast Titanium? I read somewhere that iDVD won't burn to an external drive (although I think there's a hack around this) even if it is a Pioneer "Superdrive".

* As we all know, the Beige G3s don't have built-in Firewire/USB, so I'm using a MacAlly PCI card for my Firewire/USB ports. Same questions apply about the ability to decode the DVD signal through the MacAlly card.

Currently I've been sampling DVDs by using analog line in/line out from the DVD player attached to my TV, and as you might imagine, this introduces a lot of line noise and hum that's a pain in the *ss to filter out. I'd like to get a DVD for my Mac so I can sample with less interference, if not digitally, but don't want to spend the $$$ unless I know it will work. Thanks for your help...

:) Tracy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.