Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backbeat202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
so i have an ipod 1st gen with 1.1.1 i believe.

i cant download the new 3.whatever off itunes because it say its only available for 2nd and 3rd gens, and i just downloaded myst off itunes, unaware that it wouldnt work on my ipod

what can i do? do i have to jailbreak my ipod and then i can play myst? i havent been able to find a straight answer.

backbeat202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
no, i didnt figure it would work? i just figured i couldnt download it to my ipod cause itunes said it wouldnt work ...

will it?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It will work. I just updated my old 1st gen ipod Touch to 3.1.2 before passing it on to my mom. (Am using a 3rd gen now)

Just download the firmware, then shift-click or option-click restore in iTunes, and point it to where you saved the firmware.

Oh, and backup your ipod first if you want to keep any app data.

backbeat202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
how do i "direct it" to my download, it just takes me through like an agreement step and then starts to restore .... nowhere can i pick the file

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
how do i "direct it" to my download, it just takes me through like an agreement step and then starts to restore .... nowhere can i pick the file

I'm not sure what you did, but if it is starting to restore, why don't you just let it finish?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.