PDA

View Full Version : refurbish old powerbook g4 or buy a new macbook

suonoefuria
Oct 26, 2009, 06:30 PM
So my 6 yr old powerbook g4 has called it quits and refuses to boot up. I have yet to take it to the apple store to get full insight into all that is wrong (the hard drive seems to be the main issue) and get an estimate on refurbishing it. I'm wondering (depending on the estimate) whether it would be more benificial to have it fixed or go ahead and get one of the new macbooks. I primarily used my powerbook for the typical internet/word/etc use with some light used of garagebang,logic,and final cut. So I'm wondering if it would be better to upgrade to a faster machine. However, I don't have too much money to just shell out on a newer product. Anyways, I just wanted to check outside opinions. Thanks!

brendu
Oct 26, 2009, 06:57 PM
So my 6 yr old powerbook g4 has called it quits and refuses to boot up. I have yet to take it to the apple store to get full insight into all that is wrong (the hard drive seems to be the main issue) and get an estimate on refurbishing it. I'm wondering (depending on the estimate) whether it would be more benificial to have it fixed or go ahead and get one of the new macbooks. I primarily used my powerbook for the typical internet/word/etc use with some light used of garagebang,logic,and final cut. So I'm wondering if it would be better to upgrade to a faster machine. However, I don't have too much money to just shell out on a newer product. Anyways, I just wanted to check outside opinions. Thanks!

id find out whats wrong, if its just the HD and everything else works well, thats a cheap (but possibly difficult) repair... if your up to it, it could be the way to go... if its a logic board problem, your better off looking at the new macbook... it will cover you for several years.

Dr.Pants
Oct 26, 2009, 08:48 PM
id find out whats wrong, if its just the HD and everything else works well, thats a cheap (but possibly difficult) repair... if your up to it, it could be the way to go... if its a logic board problem, your better off looking at the new macbook... it will cover you for several years.

Yes indeed. If you can put in a PPC Ubuntu (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/9.04/release/) LiveCD in there and it runs, your machine probably needs a new hard drive that would be exceptionally cheap to install yourself. The LiveCD doesn't need the hard drive to run (OS loads off of the CD), but gives you an option to install at a later time. You don't have to install the Linux distribution, but it is a good start to see if all the other parts of the machine are working properly.

nsbio
Oct 26, 2009, 09:07 PM
One does not preclude the other. If the only thing that is wrong with the PB is the hard drive, then get one really cheap and put it in yourself. It is kind of fun, in a way. Get the manuals from ixifit and try it.

That said, you look to be ready for a new computer. And the old one, once fixed, can be used as a backup machine.

Willis
Oct 26, 2009, 09:09 PM
Changing a HDD is pretty straight forward to do on Powerbooks. Just alot of screws.

You could also have a look on the refurb store for those extra Apple deals. I'd recommend looking at a new machine as using final cut/garageband etc... you'll see the speed boost instantly.

On the flip side, change HDD if needed and start saving for a new machine?

MacKiddyWiddy
Oct 27, 2009, 07:34 AM
i would replace the hdd for maybe 50 if you do it yourself for 500gb then i would sell it and buy new, at that age, more and more is gonna go wrong i reckon http://macblog.***********/imgs/signature_SmileyFace.jpg

California
Oct 27, 2009, 02:29 PM
Unless someone is now making a 500gb laptop hard drive in PATA or ATA/IDE formats, there is no way you can get larger than a 320gb Hard drive in a Powerbook...

Wish I was wrong. But my 12" PB is running perfect and faster with this large 320gb hard drive at moment.

suonoefuria
Oct 27, 2009, 04:02 PM
Great, thanks for your thoughts! I'm taking my pb in thurs to get a full assessment on what's wrong and depending on the results will figure things out from there.