PDA

View Full Version : Proposed bill that may kill tech industry

dogbyte_13
Jul 22, 2004, 04:27 PM
All i can say is no iPod if this bad boy is passed.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,64297,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

:( :( :( :mad:

mac_gal
Jul 22, 2004, 05:08 PM
I doubt that would pass. Orrin Hatch is kinda a nut, so it's no surprise he's authored that bill.

IMO, if it goes to vote, people would be making all sorts of analogies w/other legal things that can be used for illegal purposes ... cough medicine (illegal drugs), freon, etc. Then everyone will realize how silly it is.

Sun Baked
Jul 22, 2004, 05:13 PM
The Senate Judiciary Committee will consider a bill Thursday that would hold technology companies liable for any product they make that encourages people to steal copyright materials.A PC encourages people to pirate Windows, an XBox encourages the theft of games, a Xerox copier encourages the the theft of pages of copyrighted work, black CD/DVDs, tapes, etc.

I guess it's back to using devices that don't require electricity, but we won't have any paper -- because it can be used in a copier.

mymemory
Jul 22, 2004, 05:52 PM
A PC encourages people to pirate Windows, an XBox encourages the theft of games, a Xerox copier encourages the the theft of pages of copyrighted work, black CD/DVDs, tapes, etc.

I guess it's back to using devices that don't require electricity, but we won't have any paper -- because it can be used in a copier.

Actually, if you think like me but a second later... you are illegal! :eek:

Abstract
Jul 22, 2004, 06:17 PM
You copied your parents' genes, you bastard!

One supporter of the bill, RIAA chief Mitch Bainwol, is expected to include information about the music trade group's

That's all I needed to hear..... *booooooooooooooo*

King Cobra
Jul 22, 2004, 06:52 PM
Critics say the bill would effectively outlaw peer-to-peer networks
That's never going to happen. P2P starts from a single computer. All the P2P networks do is enable any two or more computers to register among each other, as well as allow searching through all of the computers and/or other LANs consisting of computers. There's nothing illegal about that. The illegal part would be using the network[s] for malicious purposes, not the network[s] itself/themselves, and anti-piracy organizations, such as the RIAA, are very well aware of that. So I doubt that enough support will build up to demolish the P2P networks themselves.

Les Kern
Jul 22, 2004, 08:11 PM
Waste of our "leaders" time. I wish they'd get cracking on the REAL problems we have in this country. Idiots... vote out ALL incumbents.

KingSleaze
Jul 22, 2004, 08:18 PM
That's never going to happen. P2P starts from a single computer. All the P2P networks do is enable any two or more computers to register among each other, as well as allow searching through all of the computers and/or other LANs consisting of computers. There's nothing illegal about that. The illegal part would be using the network[s] for malicious purposes, not the network[s] itself/themselves, and anti-piracy organizations, such as the RIAA, are very well aware of that. So I doubt that enough support will build up to demolish the P2P networks themselves.

And I always thought the illegal part of P2P was the copying of copywrited works not for your own use.

King Cobra
Jul 22, 2004, 08:38 PM
Your point isn't very effective. An illegal usage of the largest WAN - the internet - is also file sharing. And people do use P2P for purposes other than illegal activities. I'll cover just a few instances: Downloading an older version of free software that can't be found on the internet, downloading a single copy of a song you already have for back-up purposes, sharing completely custom-made files over an FTP server or P2P to allow selected access to the files, rather than posting it up on the internet publically where it can be accessed by anyone (given that the person with the files can't afford a private domain). Need I continue?

Dr. Dastardly
Jul 22, 2004, 10:07 PM
Its time to kill this bill... :rolleyes:

It seems that either this bill or something just like it has been waiting to be ratified for what seems like 5 years now, ever since Napster popped up. Seriously do they think that this is actually a viable solution?

It even says on the ipod to not steal music so I never even thought about it once I got it, whats your excuse. :p

sushi
Jul 23, 2004, 12:50 AM

What a waste!

This bill is stupid!

Sushi

absolut_mac
Jul 23, 2004, 02:03 AM

Quote from the article...

The Senate Judiciary Committee will consider a bill Thursday that would hold technology companies liable for any product they make that encourages people to steal copyright materials.

You mean that now they are going to have to ban the use of every single photo copy machine, CD burner, DVD burner, tape recorder, VCR etc that's out there if this absolutely stupid law passes?!?!?!

Because all of the above obviously *encourage* and *facilitate* the stealing of copy righted material.

G-d help us from these dense greedy morons in congress!!!

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2004, 01:04 AM
My Senator Co-Sponsored this.

Ms. Clinton, expect to hear from me, please.

Its just... there is no reason for ANYONE to sponsor this. :mad:

Durandal7
Jul 24, 2004, 02:16 AM
That bill is **** and so are the Senators sponsoring it.

question fear
Jul 24, 2004, 08:42 AM
i really feel there needs to be some sort of mandatory tech training for anyone in public or judicial office these days. the generation gap is more serious than before, because the technology has advanced so quickly that people who spent their lives getting elected will not catch up from a brief before a senate committee. same goes for judges who hear patent cases. fifty years from now people will laugh at us for how incompetent our leaders were at understanding the technology they were voting on. :mad:

sushi
Jul 24, 2004, 10:38 AM
i really feel there needs to be some sort of mandatory tech training for anyone in public or judicial office these days. the generation gap is more serious than before, because the technology has advanced so quickly that people who spent their lives getting elected will not catch up from a brief before a senate committee. same goes for judges who hear patent cases. fifty years from now people will laugh at us for how incompetent our leaders were at understanding the technology they were voting on. :mad:
You make some very good points.

Unless a person is into tech, it seems folks in their early 30s and up are out of touch, let alone those who are approaching 60.

Sushi

Aaon
Jul 24, 2004, 12:15 PM
Hello! THose who are concerned with this bill, especially the vague language and its potential effects on legitimate products like the iPod, most computers, xerox machines (I hadn't thought of that one, thats good), and other useful tools should contact their senators and encourage them to vote against this bill. I have written to my senators on this issue. Its time we get involved in the issue!

Aaron

King Cobra
Jul 24, 2004, 12:52 PM

I just found this: http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch/0,39024667,39122542,00.htm

Basically, the iPod is not being threatened by the bill.

Awimoway
Jul 24, 2004, 02:10 PM
I have the perfect solution to this problem...

Move to Canada. I'm considering it.

rhpenguin
Jul 24, 2004, 03:51 PM
I have the perfect solution to this problem...

Move to Canada. I'm considering it.

Come on up... The more the merrier!

But for real though. If the government cant make money off something, they do not want it or will not acknowledge it. This is somewhat off topic, but i think it applies. Look at the reason marijuana isnt legalized in North America, the govenrment cant find a way to tax a naturally growing plant. Im sure if they could find a way to controll it 100%, it would be legalized by now...

.... now im going off on a rant. Take from this what you will.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 24, 2004, 05:00 PM
Hello! THose who are concerned with this bill, especially the vague language and its potential effects on legitimate products like the iPod, most computers, xerox machines (I hadn't thought of that one, thats good), and other useful tools should contact their senators and encourage them to vote against this bill. I have written to my senators on this issue. Its time we get involved in the issue!

Aaron

Already have heard back. The politician said that he welcomed my concerns, he felt that this was best to protect the recording/broadcast industries from piracy.

The thing is that most politicians are voting their religion, personal beliefs, and for their Big Money; not for the voters. And we are too dumb to send them back home.

themadchemist
Jul 24, 2004, 05:03 PM

Do you think old, out of touch congressmen understand this?

Never underestimate the power of ignorance.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 24, 2004, 05:06 PM

Or the power of money.

King Cobra
Jul 24, 2004, 05:26 PM

I'm not sure what exactly it is congressmen do up in power that keeps them from understanding it, but agreed on your second line. It's a real sad thing... the RIAA wants to prevent music piracy, but they insist on copy-protected CDs (some prevent you from listening to them on your computer), and high priced CDs. (So now I get my CDs used from Amazon.com for about $6, or if there's a better deal on new CDs, I'll get them. Works for me.) Effectively, to some people that like music, it seems easier to download the song, even if it's just for one listen, so they'll do it. It's sad that the RIAA hasn't made CDs like $5 and remove the copy protection so that people would crave to buy them, rather than steal them. What should be done is keep the P2P fines high, but make up for catching piraters whenever possible by removing all the anti-copying technology on the physical CD, and bringing down the price of CDs dramatically.

Oh, and from living in the hell of the southern west area of Maine (away from the city areas), it's almost impossible to not understimate the power of ignorance up here. :mad:

themadchemist
Jul 24, 2004, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure what exactly it is congressmen do up in power that keeps them from understanding it, but agreed on your second line.

I think it's a matter of not taking the time to understand as opposed to a capacity to undersatnd.

It's a real sad thing... the RIAA wants to prevent music piracy, but they insist on copy-protected CDs (some prevent you from listening to them on your computer), and high priced CDs. (So now I get my CDs used from Amazon.com for about $6, or if there's a better deal on new CDs, I'll get them. Works for me.) Effectively, to some people that like music, it seems easier to download the song, even if it's just for one listen, so they'll do it. It's sad that the RIAA hasn't made CDs like $5 and remove the copy protection so that people would crave to buy them, rather than steal them. What should be done is keep the P2P fines high, but make up for catching piraters whenever possible by removing all the anti-copying technology on the physical CD, and bringing down the price of CDs dramatically.

Do you think lower prices and no copy-protection would help all that much? Not everyone downloads out of a moral objection to overpricing. Some just don't want to pay anything at all.

Awimoway
Jul 24, 2004, 08:09 PM
Or the power of money.

Or the power of close-mindedness.