Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
The council I am IT Manager of has a third-party Linux firewall that provides firewall, proxy, vpn, smtp and port re-direction services.

I am frustrated by not having any control and having to always pay for support when even the littlest problems. One of my counterparts at another council is replacing his with a Symantec hardware solution.

I would like to consider a Mac solution first if possible.

We have two ADSL lines - one for email and vpn traffic, and the other for web traffic. Therefore we have 3 NICs. I want to keep costs down too.

Does anyone have any thoughts, websites or leads? Do I need OSX server or can I do this with OSX desktop? If I need OSX server, will it run on a desktop Mac?

thanks

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
ChrisH3677 said:
The council I am IT Manager of has a third-party Linux firewall that provides firewall, proxy, vpn, smtp and port re-direction services.

I am frustrated by not having any control and having to always pay for support when even the littlest problems. One of my counterparts at another council is replacing his with a Symantec hardware solution.

I would like to consider a Mac solution first if possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts, websites or leads? Do I need OSX server or can I do this with OSX desktop? If I need OSX server, will it run on a desktop Mac?

thanks

OS X Server will run fine on a desktop Mac. I run OS X Server 10.3 on my PowerBook with no problems. Even though you could probably get VPN and Firewall services working fine on 10.3, I would recommend going with OS X Server as it is built for the task and administration is a ton easier.

I know NAT is built into Server, however, I'm not sure about port redirection.

You may also check out NetScreen devices. They are wicked fast and pretty affordable as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.