Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TINCAN78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
UK
So mt late 2007 macbook has been into an Apple store twice since new. first for the cracked palm rest and mouse button issue and secondly only 3 months ago for a new LCD (dust and colour issue). Since 3 months ago lots of niggly problems, like airport card not being recognised, intermittent mouse button issue again. Superdrive started snapping disc!!!

Anyway this time due to work couldn't get to a store so sent it off via Applecare for repair. Anyway today i have had it back with a list of whats been done, including repair and replace broken wires, replace MISSING heat sink, replace MISSING screws (x6)........ and then replace superdrive, airport card, bluetooth card, logic board.

So point is part of me is well happy they have it fixed and its all sorted (have 1 year left on applecare too) but another part of me thinks what the hell did the apple store do to it.

I did try the replacement option at the start of the repair when they mentioned the amount of repairs but they said its only repair 3 and if it goes wrong again i should ask for replacement then.....

So should i just be grateful its repaired or speak with apple customer services about the state of the machine ???

Any comments or points or should i just be happy i have it back!

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I'd be happy to have it back fixed but going by the track record of your macbook, sounds like you be going back again soon ie 3rd time for the replacement. Just as well you have another year of AppleCare hey.

TINCAN78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
UK
So received it back, all fixed apart from the mouse pad button issue is still there. Basically it works ok and then you have to push the left mouse button really hard to get it working again - its like it clicks twice before working.

Also the top case near the left hinge is split and damaged - Wasn't before and it is only a little bit but damage is damage......

I think i now need to ring Applecare to discuss.... happy its working but annoyed its not 100% right.

TINCAN78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
UK
Well bumping this thread after last years new logic board, track pad/key board, super drive, lcd and more than 3 or 4 repairs..... 10 months later its completely died. I was working away and it came up with the error message - basically saying hold the shut down button and switch back on. I shut it down and back on and it was beeping 3 times...... so thought replace the ram which i did as that is what 3 beeps usually means.

I rebooted with new ram and it went to the Apple logo and sat there....doing nothing. It then got extremely hot, the quarter of the case near the charger socket (as in it would burn to hold for more than 2 seconds...) It then shut down and now does a mix of sometimes booting to apple logo and then shutting down or 3 beeps again (even with new ram)

In the process of getting very very hot it has also created quite a few heat/stress cracks near the exhaust holes (the plastic white part looks to have partially melted - one heat crack is 3 inches long)

Opinions? Its not ram even though its doing 3 beeps on some boot ups. I triple checked with known good ram from another macbook and still the same...

Any ideas i have applecare that run out December 2010 so will book it in for repair when they open tomorrow but they replaced near enough the whole machine last year how can any of the near - less than a year old - parts be faulty?

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India
Bring it in, talk to the guy in charge, go over all that's been done in terms of repairs and point out the fact that running to their store with a faulty laptop isn't a hobby of yours, that you need it for your job and it has to be reliable and that you've lost all confidence in the machine (as I would have in your case).

Then see what they say about the replacement. If they decline and 'fix' it again i'd put it on ebay before the A/C expires and get myself a new laptop (but not necessarily an apple).

TINCAN78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
UK
So a short phone call to apple i explained the new problems. I was then without even asking passed to senior Tech as the customer care chap was concerned about the level of repairs.

The Senior Tech straight away said we have spent enough on this one, lets replace with a new one - latest macbook model, better spec etc etc. If that wasn't good enough they are also going to refund me pro rata the applecare still left on the machine.....

This is why Apple are so great and unlike any other company out there...

Swap taking place next week...... So chuffed!!!!

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
That is great news!

Btw, one thing your 2007 MacBook has that the latest model hasn't is a firewire port. So if it's something you use, it's only fair that they replace yours with a MacBook Pro and you can ask them to do that.

Otherwise, enjoy your new MacBook. I hope it doesn't give you any problems and you have a better experience with it.

So a short phone call to apple i explained the new problems. I was then without even asking passed to senior Tech as the customer care chap was concerned about the level of repairs.

The Senior Tech straight away said we have spent enough on this one, lets replace with a new one - latest macbook model, better spec etc etc. If that wasn't good enough they are also going to refund me pro rata the applecare still left on the machine.....

TINCAN78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
UK
oh ***** that put a downer on it, i use firewire for storage and camcorder connection at the moment........ i have sent an email asking if the macbook spec they are sending me has it or not and pointed out i do actually use it at the moment.

I suppose i should be happy and look at other connection options as a new macbook means i am in a better position overall

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003

Wow, I wonder if they'll do that for macbooks recently out of warranty, but which have had many items replaced (motherboard, optical drive, wifi twice, bottom case after they botched a repair, battery, etc.) because mine has now completely died. I don't even get a logo when I try to boot. Oh, and I bought it reconditioned from the Apple Store, too, so I was given someone else's problem computer. Guess I'll see next week? Anyway, congrats. And yes, be happy with the new one you were offered. See what kind of drive is in that external firewire enclosure (SATA, etc) and consider buying a USB enclosure for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.