Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I have a friend who needs help authoring a DVD of his final project, and because that's what I do (in part) for a living, he naturally turned to me. Problem is he's a PC and I'm a Mac, he uses DVD Architect and I use DVD Studio Pro.

I'm assuming the two are similar (in a 'if you know Word you can figure out Pages" kind of a way) but also assuming it would be easier just to author the DVD the way I know how in DVD Studio Pro instead of muddle my way through a program I don't know.

He's exported the files per DVD Architect standards, which apparently are mpg2 and wav. If he were to bring me the files on a hard drive, would it be simply a matter of running both through compressor to get m2v and ac3? Or is the mpg2 file he exported compatible with DVDSP (and all I need to do is compress the WAV file?)

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
I currently use Vegas and DVD Architect for my video projects. It would be easier to just use what you know. DVDA can do some cool stuff, but it takes a little time figuring out.

I don't know DVD Studio, but if it's anything like DVDA, whatever files you throw at, I would think it would convert to the proper format when you render the DVD. Plus there's no reason he would have rendered an incorrect mpg2 file, with audio or with a separate wav file.

So basically, I'm sure it will work fine.

*I don't have a Mac yet, but hope to get one soon, so I like reading the A/V forums ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.