Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
I'm doing it. I'm getting the Mini Server today. I told myself I was going to wait until Apple does it's thing in October and then decide. I'm glad I waited.

At the same time, I'm a bit nervous. Reading the horror stories, "I thought it would do this, but it doesn't." and "It does so, here's how you do it," some say wait, some say go for it.

I guess I'll find out. Any input?

mathemabeat

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I guess I'll find out. Any input?

Depends. What ya doing with it?

We talking at home server type roles, or something more small business/enterprise.

The mini is perfectly suited for home oriented server roles. Folks have been using for that purpose for years.

In my eyes, the only really downfall to using the mini as a server is the lack of cheap, removable internal storage. You can always use USB 2 or firewire drives though.

So, what role do you need it to fulfill?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Have examples of what it "can't" do?
I'd be interested in seeing that list.
Here's a pic of what's built in....

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 90

corbywan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Environment - a small church where the main volunteer leaders work on laptops, mostly Mac, a couple of Windows, and some iPhones.

Les - on the "can't do list" would be some specific things within the services it offers, like sharing an address book within a group (not a GAL, but a common address book of non-users of the system, like company clients). iPhone address book/contact syncing over-the-air doesn't exist yet.

So, I went and bought it yesterday. Here's what I'm wishing existed - transition guides.
1) For people/groups who have been using, say, Google Apps and another web host for sites. Our webhost (dreamhost) currently is doing the DNS for the domain. I'd like to transition all of those services (email, calendaring, contacts, web hosting) over to my groovy new mini, but the DNS setup for the various services on the mini server is kinda hanging me up. My initial setup is that I told the mini to be office.mydomain.com, because I added an A record to dreamhost to point that to the static IP that I have. Currently, on Google, our email address are user@mydomain.com. I still want the email addresses to be user@mydomain.com. I setup the mail service hostname to be mail.mydomain.com, and when I add a user, their email address is user@mail.mydomain.com. Additionally, I'd like the webmail to be hosted at mail.mydomain.com. I only have the one box and would like everything (services wise) to run off of it. Should I also have it do all of the DNS for my domain or keep it external? The mini is behind a Airport Extreme. The some of the services, Podcast Producer for one, try to verify the domain name with the IP and it fails because the server has an internal IP. What's the best way to handle that? Should I change the mini from office.mydomain.com to mydomain.com? Right now, that's the big missing piece in my head.

2) For groups who have been working on laptops and sharing an NAS for files, but want to transition to SLS. Do I go for portable home directories? How do the user accounts on the laptops coordinate with the user accounts on SLS? Do they exist separately? Do they get merged? Do they function together somehow?

These are my two main areas of hair pulling. I'm pouring over the PDFs trying to assimilate it all. Any insight, guides, or free help would be appreciated.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Oh, and I have no problem wiping and starting over with this thing.

Also, looking for suggestion on how to hand the two 500GB drives. I also have an external 500GB to add to the mix if needed. I want to do TimeMachine backups for the laptops, and off course backup the server itself.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Have examples of what it "can't" do?
I'd be interested in seeing that list.
Here's a pic of what's built in....

An rsync daemon is what I've been researching, but I'm not even sure it has one installed.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Oh, and since this will be hosting our email as well, do I need to get with my ISP (Verizon FiOS) and have them setup a PTR record?

camiloken

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
Me Want!!!

As a file, web, media server for my family.
But... I will wait for a revision or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.