Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anon123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Hi,

Generally speaking, exporting a pdf as a csv file is not an option in Adobe (I'm using Acrobat Pro 9). However, a form's Response file (containing the compiled data of many distributed forms) does have the option to export the data as a csv file. What I'm looking to accomplish is to automate the process of the export. Let me be specific:

1) I've distributed a PDF form for completion by coworkers (imagine a mileage reimbursement form or something similar). This form submits data back to me via Acrobat.com.

2) I have the Response file on my machine, which, when opened, automatically retrieves all new data from Acrobat.com.

3) I need the data in csv format, so, with the Response file open, I select Export>Export All>and choose a location for my csv (always the same folder).

The problem: I'd like to use Automator or an applescript to automate the export step so that, essentially, my data comes to me in csv format.

I've used Automator's "Watch Me Do" to accomplish this, but it seems to run into hiccups (which is why I try to avoid using it). It can't just use the last folder viewed, because that's likely to be wrong. I tried starting at the Home folder in column view and navigating through the path to the folder of choice, and this works best. However, as the contents of the folders in the path change, it seems to break down. It's as though instead of remembering to select the "Documents" folder, it was actually remembering to select the third folder down in the list (which changes). Additionally, it takes the extra time of performing at the speed it watched me do it at, rather than at the speed of processing script.

There's got to be a way to specify a direct file path (absolute or relative) from within that "Save As" dialogue, either with Automator or applescript. Basically, I want to know that it's going to find the right folder and successfully export EVERY time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.