PDA

View Full Version : Is the 2.5 G5 any quieter?

2A Batterie
Jul 22, 2004, 08:35 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has used the new 2.5 G5 and if so, does it run any quieter than previous G5's? I had my new 2.0 up and running for only today before I had to take it back (2nd time now.. grr) for repairs. During that time I noticed that it sounded like a windtunnel. I do audio recording so I certainly don't want that extra noise. Is this normal for all G5's or will the liquid cooling make the new G5's quieter?

Duff-Man
Jul 22, 2004, 10:04 PM
Duff-Man says...it is probably too early to be asking about the 2.5's as they do not appear to be officially shipping yet....give it a few weeks more and some should be in people's hands by then. I have one on order and I do audio....oh yeah!

unixkid
Jul 22, 2004, 10:26 PM
ur G5 should make very little noise as it is.. i dont know whats wrong with urs? the 2.5's should be very quiet. i have one on order too.

2A Batterie
Jul 22, 2004, 10:28 PM
I read a post... I think it was "tons of new hardware today!", where someone said that they got a new 23" and a 2.5 at their work. I'll try to dig it up and post a link. Can we at least speculate that the 2.5's will run quieter, or do you think the liquid cooling just helps run dual 2.5's at the same noise level as the 2.0's?

Nspace
Jul 22, 2004, 10:36 PM
In general liquid cooling is much quiter so am goint to vote for yes it will be quieter.

Duff-Man
Jul 22, 2004, 10:41 PM
I read a post... I think it was "tons of new hardware today!", where someone said that they got a new 23" and a 2.5 at their work.Duff-Man says....the guy was wrong...it was not a dual 2.5 that arrived but another lower model that was also ordered....oh yeah!

BrianKonarsMac
Jul 22, 2004, 11:57 PM
i doubt it'll be much quieter, the liquid cooling is passive, so methinks it just helps to maintain the noise at a "respectable" level, i.e. close to the 2.0.

Nspace
Jul 23, 2004, 12:10 AM
*sorry misread the previous post*

belair
Jul 23, 2004, 02:00 AM
I read a german magazine yesteday, called "macnews" thats usually very good and well informed. In this article they explain the cooling device and its features. They offer quit precise information about the noise issue.

The liquid cooling is efficient enough by itself to cool the chips but the liquid that runs back into radiator has to be air cooled. Thats what the fans of the new G5's will do only cool the liquid inside the radiator. To do so the fans only need to spin at a low rate (the surface of the radiator being really huge). The magazine says they only need to spin half as fast as in the rev a G5's.

The thing is if your old G5 was only doing basic stuff, it did not need much cooling and the fans were spinning at a slow rate anyway (quiet). So on a basic job your old G5's and new ones will make the same noise, the fans rotating at the minimal speed. But if your machine is doing some heavy tasking the noise reduction in this new model is about 50% wich is huge.

I guess this machine was made for all you people out there, working as sound engineers. :) And for the rest of us it will make us enjoy the sound of silence.

belair
Jul 23, 2004, 02:30 AM
I forgot to say that even if the temperature in the room is getting higher the new G5's with now 21 heat sensors wont have to work harder to cool the cpu's.
The chips heat up to abour 80 degres celcius and the liquid that comes into the radiator will be below that temperature but it will be easy to cool it with air that will hardly ever surpass 40 degres celcius. So even on hot days your computer will stay quiet.

Looks very good to me indeed.

wdlove
Jul 23, 2004, 01:45 PM
When I saw the 2.5 at MacWorld Boston, the fan was running slower due to the liquid cooling. Holding my ear next to the CPU, I didn't notice much noise.

When it comes to those concerned about noise, those in music recording they have a product availble. Its the Acoustic Lock System.

http://www.acoustilock.com/

Mord
Jul 23, 2004, 03:30 PM
i doubt it'll be much quieter, the liquid cooling is passive, so methinks it just helps to maintain the noise at a "respectable" level, i.e. close to the 2.0.

it's not passive, a passive liquid cooling system is used in all the g5's in heatpipe heatsinks hell its in every new mac apart from the mdd g4 (the 1.4 used them)

Windowlicker
Jul 23, 2004, 03:49 PM
Duff-Man says....the guy was wrong...it was not a dual 2.5 that arrived but another lower model that was also ordered....oh yeah!

you have some kind of a template for your messages? i mean, one would think it's too much of a work to write "Duff-Man says...." & "....oh yeah!" every time you wanna say something :Q confusing.

;)

m.r.m.
Jul 23, 2004, 04:17 PM
it would be supercool if someone could post an actual figure (dB) on the noise level of the new g5's, once they ship.