Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

presence06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
H-Town
New macbook, maybe 4 weeks old?

Battery claims to be 4months old and I've only drained the battery once to "calibrate" it otherwise kept it around 20% (at lowest)

this is what Coconut is showing me after 21 cycles.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 67

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Run the calibration again and see what happens.

Also, is it considerably colder where you are now? That could influence the readings as cold Li-Ion batteries won't perform like a warm/room temperature unit.

presence06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
H-Town
Run the calibration again and see what happens.

Also, is it considerably colder where you are now? That could influence the readings as cold Li-Ion batteries won't perform like a warm/room temperature unit.

Right now I having it sitting on my desk in the basement. It's cool down here but not freezing/cold. I can tell the desk (wood) is a cool.

Is that bad for the battery?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
To me that doesnt seem very good mileage - my just over 1 year old MacBook still has a charge capacity over 100% (5128 mAh) - I think that Coconut Battery looks at the date of manufacture, so if your MacBook sat on a shelf for 3 months - that would be the discrepancy. My battery has just been subjected to normal daily use and carting about - I havent really put any effort into keeping it in good condition - so you may have a dud battery.

m0no

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
I just checked mine and I have 94% with 16 cycles. Age of Mac: 2 months.

Vashed555

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Ohio
Be patient... The data fluctuates. It'll range between 92% and 102% depending on how the battery is reacting. That's all perfectly normal and my PowerBooks and MacBooks all do the same.

presence06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
H-Town
Be patient... The data fluctuates. It'll range between 92% and 102% depending on how the battery is reacting. That's all perfectly normal and my PowerBooks and MacBooks all do the same.

Well good. I used it lastnight and let the MacBook die. I will recharge it answer but I guess from what you guys are saying it's not that big of a deal. Thanks guys.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
im at 39 cycles, and 92%.

ive calibrated once, going to calibrate again soon, and see if it goes up at all.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
The battery's still above 80% health. I wouldn't worry about it. Battery's going to degrade, even if you never use it, in fact, if you never use it, it'll die faster.

I'm at 350 cycles on a 5 month old system and my battery health is around 90% to 94%. It jumps at every recharge.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
That's not good, but it does fluctuate. See the pictures. In 3 cycles it gained 3%. This battery is from '04 in an '05 PowerBook G4.
attachment.php
attachment.php

himanshupant

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
India
im at 39 cycles, and 92%.

ive calibrated once, going to calibrate again soon, and see if it goes up at all.

pretty weird.... My battery readings too started going for a toss after caliberation.. I am not going to caliberate again.. It ate up one charge cycle and degraded battery health too

halisray

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2009
MTL
it fluctuates a lot. i got mine in november, it has 44 cycles at 93% - but fluctuates from 90% to 96%

srsly, dont worry about it, just continue calibrating ur battery every month

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
As usual, your battery is perfectly fine.

I posted in the other battery thread about this so I won't repeat it all. The genius bar folks replaced my battery that was showing similar stats because it was out of spec.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
dont worry, istat and coconut battery only give averages and they are not totally correct. plus apple told me that its normal for the % to jump up and down depending on how you charge it etc...

i then had apple run their own battery diagnostic test and my battery is 98.5% after 105 cycles 6 months old. but my istat/coconut usually says 91-96%

himanshupant

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
India
dont worry, istat and coconut battery only give averages and they are not totally correct. plus apple told me that its normal for the % to jump up and down depending on how you charge it etc...

i then had apple run their own battery diagnostic test and my battery is 98.5% after 105 cycles 6 months old. but my istat/coconut usually says 91-96%

What battery diagonistic test ?? Do they have some special software. ? Do we have to send out laptop to the apple store or they carry this out over the counter !!!

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
What battery diagonistic test ?? Do they have some special software. ? Do we have to send out laptop to the apple store or they carry this out over the counter !!!

When I took mine into the Apple store they booted some special hardware test program off an iPod nano.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
they have the diagnostics on their external hard drives right at the genius bar. they told me that they fluctuate, especially in istat/coconut. like i said mine was 94% on istat and their diagnostics read 98.5%,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.