PDA

View Full Version : U2 May Turn To iTunes Music Store If Faced With Piracy

MacBytes
Jul 23, 2004, 12:15 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: U2 May Turn To iTunes Music Store If Faced With Piracy (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040723011533)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

MoparShaha
Jul 23, 2004, 12:30 AM
I don't understand how this is supposed to be a threat. Would they not have released it anyways on iTunes?

iMeowbot
Jul 23, 2004, 12:47 AM
I don't understand how this is supposed to be a threat. Would they not have released it anyways on iTunes?
The idea is that initially the album was scheduled to be released in November, but if it appears on p2p networks they can get the real thing out to iTunes immediately, and onto CD within a few weeks. That ability to jump the few weeks' lead time is the part that's newsworthy. [The usual tack is to hold up iTMS releases until CDs are in the stores.]

winmacguy
Jul 23, 2004, 12:50 AM

Sounds like they would have released it to stores worldwide first to maxmise revenue and then put it on iTMS however if it does showup on the web then obviously U2 will have to go straight to iTMS to counter the p2p networks distribution.

killmoms
Jul 23, 2004, 06:01 AM
I was under the impression that the album wasn't complete, or wasn't entirely finished—i.e. the CD stolen was not properly mastered, or not the final tracklist, or somesuch. The threat was (to my mind) that they'd release the album now, when they still didn't consider it finished, in all distribution chains, just to prove a point to the pirates. A sort of "You ruined it for everyone!" Or I could be completely off my rocker. The whole situation seems a bit ambiguous.

--Cless

whooleytoo
Jul 23, 2004, 06:11 AM
A lot of people suspect it was a staged publicity stunt to draw attention to the impending new album, but that's probably too cynical.. ;)

Based on this story, I'd nearly like to see it appear on P2P, just so iTunes gets it as early as possible!

Mac-Xpert
Jul 23, 2004, 07:50 AM
I was under the impression that the album wasn't complete, or wasn't entirely finished—i.e. the CD stolen was not properly mastered, or not the final tracklist, or somesuch.I was under that impression also. Obviously it would be quite bad if they're forced to release it before it's actually seen as finished. It's bound to be somewhat disappointing. The sound quality might not be as good and there's also a chance that they where still working on some tracks that aren't finished yet, and they would have to settle with what they have recorded so far. In any case I don't think anybody should be happy with a early release like this.

brap
Jul 23, 2004, 08:03 AM
Major label c**p like U2 deserve all the piracy they get, anyway. Fans will buy it if it's good enough, if not, they may hear something that sucks. And we wouldn't want that, before we've wasted our money, would we?

Yes, I know music isn't shareware, but when they have as much backing as U2 it probably should be.

U2Rules!
Jul 23, 2004, 08:16 AM
I hope they find whoever stole this work and execute the sorry scum! Death to all pirates.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2004, 10:56 AM
i hope it gets leaked. if that happens, then we get the new U2 album sooner! i can't wait. :)

rogozhin
Jul 23, 2004, 01:32 PM
Didn't the same thing happen with Eminem's last album? I seem to recall that CD release being pushed waaaaay up because songs were leaking out over the internet, obviously without Marshall Mather's approval.

Having access to demos is interesting, in that it shows how a song goes from idea to finished product, but that's no reason to post them before the finished product is even ready. That's just bad karma.

suntzu
Jul 23, 2004, 01:33 PM
I think the idea is that if it's available on the P2P networks then people could rationalize that they can't buy it so they're forced to illegally download it. Kind of like how people download movies that won't ever be played in a theater near them (limited distribution) and may never make it to DVD/Video.

So by releasing it early, you don't give them that option. It seems like a weak move but in reality it's the only move. The good thing about this though is that U2 might hustle and get the the record completed faster (I mean editing etc.. not more songs in a short time).

mrsebastian
Jul 23, 2004, 06:45 PM
i'd probably dl their new cd if i could, but i would out of respect for u2 buy it when available... and if this is a publicity stunt to stir hype, i'd say it's bloody brilliant!