PDA

View Full Version : Pro Mac Photos?

arn
Jul 21, 2002, 04:31 PM
MacBidoulle (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macbidouille.com%2Fniouzcontenu.php%3Fdate%3D2002-07-21&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&prev=%2Flanguage_tools) posted images claiming to be of the new PowerMacs. The design is also detailed by this PDF (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/attachment.php3?postid=109539).

Further comments provided by the author of the PDF posted in this MacRumors thread (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=8083).

Previously submitted details from the PDF author:

- the heatsink is a very large aluminum straight finned squared design. about 6" x 7" x 6" approx and weighs about 7 lbs; it is attatched to the MLB by 3 screws, but not like XSERVE; 2 screws are on countersunk standoffs that go through the MPU, and one that attatches to the back panel on a ridge above the modem port. The MPU itself is held down only by the weight of the heatsink, and a 'flex' bar, that is a plastic bar with 2 metal springloaded clips that allow it to flex freely.
- the door mechanism has been totally redesigned, instead of plastic hooks, it is all metal. Only the round hole handle is plastic, which actuates metal u-shaped hooks which slide in and catch; very smooth, no more slamming closed; and nearly impossible to break open with lock, metal on metal.
- the modem stays the same but in new location.
- the 4 decorative holes in the front are for show, but also allow air intake for the 'turbine' fan sitting in front of teh heatsink (with door closed), the turbine fan speeds up and slows down depending on tempurature. An extra fan in the door ventilates the MLB and dual CD drives (vents galore).
- BlueTooth will NOT be included, it will be as is now, a USB addon

The motherboard design appears similar to the prototype motherboard leaked on eBay.

Update: A previously accurate tipster provides some confirmation of the case design: Yes, the enclosure seen on that PDF is real.

JtheLemur
Jul 21, 2002, 04:46 PM
Oooo, gotta say the photos of the case (at least) look quite genuine... if it is in fact the case they'll use (remember about them having a few different ones?), I like it. It's not a BRAND new case, but different enough for the time being! I suuuuuure hope that "SDRAM" spec gets changed to DDR!

-- J (mmm first piz-ost)

blakespot
Jul 21, 2002, 04:47 PM
It looks "real" to me. And the motheboard looks similar to that seen on eBay a while back. Not so attractive, IMHO -- but my bet is this is the real McCoy.

blakespot

Mr. Anderson
Jul 21, 2002, 04:48 PM
Well, after the fallout from the other thread - I'm of the opinion that this isn't the new G4/G5 enclosure and mobo. It seems to me that its one of the many rumored prototypes that have been around for a while.

One of the best reasons to believe this is that Apple has not made any move to keep it quiet. All the sites that have the pics continue to post them - it's pretty much SOP for Apple to roll out the lawyers and issue warnings when any sensitive material leaks.

And we'll all know in a month or so, anyway.

D

gelbin
Jul 21, 2002, 04:56 PM
????

daRAT
Jul 21, 2002, 04:58 PM
If this can be believed, it is a nice looking case. Keeping the same design is smart, why mess with it? :]

4 gig's of ram? Did I see that in the spec's?

zephc
Jul 21, 2002, 04:59 PM
the mic port on the front is off-center which doesn't seem the be very mac-like, stylistically. Also, the PCI cards are mounted really high, which seems kind of odd, tho it DOES give a few extra inches if you keep the machine under a desk (you dont want to show it off??). Drive 1 (and 2) are mounted vertically, but don't vertically mounted drives get more read errors because of weird inertial forces? (or is that just CDs?) I DO like the 4 GB ram part =]

Basically, I would enjoy seeing this or a similar design released, but won't be surprised if its not

PDF info:
Author: APPLEP58
Creator: CorelDraw Version 10.0

Corel?? Hmm...

edenwaith
Jul 21, 2002, 05:04 PM
Hopefully that isn't the end result. That picture looked somewhat silly with a nearly all-white case and silver colored plates on the front. I still think my Year 2000 G4 has a great looking design, and the innards of the machine are the best I've seen in a computer. My brother just bought a new Dell, and he showed me how it was laid out, and it's pretty decent for a PC, and quite easy to reach the various parts of the machine (RAM, cards, drives), but it still isn't as nice as the G4 PowerMac layout.

zephc
Jul 21, 2002, 05:05 PM
okay, looked at the french site, actual pix of the machine and motherboard are enuff to convince me =]

Megaquad
Jul 21, 2002, 05:20 PM
no way case is fake,i just hope it is failed prototype (there were rumors that apple is testing 6 different cases) cause it looks terrible,that aluminium looks so cheap,its just old slightly modified El Capitano..
if apple releases this,they are idiots! who's gonna buy this? i surely wont!:mad:

nigel_t
Jul 21, 2002, 05:36 PM
First of all, I think the case, if It's really the case, is really ugly, but I don't care once there is a g5 under the hood. However the PDF did not say that there was a G5 under the hood but it is G5 ready and has SD-ram which makes no sense to me because a chip like the G5 will at least need DDR 400,
guess we'll see next week, If apple pulls a cease and decist out of their hats we know it's true.

nanumac
Jul 21, 2002, 05:38 PM
Dont think they would come with a completely new case design before G5, and donīt think they should neither. I dont care as long as they put in the memory bandwidth enhancements AND support 4gigs of DDRAM.

Guess this will really scream with Maya 4.5

Im bying :D

nigel_t
Jul 21, 2002, 05:48 PM
Yup I'l buy as well

galopagos
Jul 21, 2002, 05:48 PM
Ask yourself one thing: if the case in the photo wasnt wrapped, in other words if it didnt look like it was somehow packaged, would you still believe it to be real? Image the picture without the plastic wrapping. That would leave a pic of a g4 with nothing to hide any imperfections in either design (for a genuine prototype) or manipulation (if it is indeed photoshopped).

Oh, the fun people have. Too much fun I think. I mean consider the amount of work is put into a fake now days. Before a small quicktime movie is all that took millions of people to be amazed at a 'iWalk'. Now, people are typing metadata into their fakes (I once put EXIF data in a fake, to make it look like a genuine digital photo). A corel technical document! Well, it has to be real because no one would have taken the time to put that together.

The true measure of how real something is is just how fast Apple jumps on the site.

richard5mith
Jul 21, 2002, 05:50 PM
Horrible.

Stupid metal bays in the middle, horrible looking air flow holes at the bottom.

Either it's a test case or Apple are letting the junior team members have a crack at designing stuff. It just doesn't look like a final Apple product (although the shape of the case and the inside photographs certainly mean all signs point to it being at least something Apple put together).

Copyright message on the card in the bottom photo is Apple Computer Inc. 2001.

mr.w
Jul 21, 2002, 05:51 PM
Two cd/cdr/dvd/superdrive (or whatever drives) would be really sweet.

Question: what would the difference in performance be between 1.5 gigs of DDR as aposed to 4 gigs of SDRAM ???

solvs
Jul 21, 2002, 05:52 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=8083

... before making any conclusions.

Plus that whole Corel Draw thing.

As I said earlier, I hope this isn't the new case (and I don't think it is), but we'll see in a few weeks. ;)

nanumac
Jul 21, 2002, 05:54 PM
And yes that was my first ever post to macrumors.
But I have read this forum for some time, since appleinsider stopped updating.

kenohki
Jul 21, 2002, 06:14 PM
All I have to say is that thing is butt ugly!!! QuickSilver was a nice take on the original G3/G4 enclosure but that thing is just wrong. I would hope that it is one of the rumored screamer prototypes that were floating around a while ago because that thing has no polish. Heck, might as well let Sun's industrial designers have a go at it (if we're going for the dog doo look that is). :p

My personal opinion is that the current enclosure is getting a little long in the tooth. I think a nice simple geometric design along the lines of the PowerBook G4 or XServe (simple but elegant brushed metal with clean lines) would look much better.

As for the specs, my bet is on an Apollo 7 G4.

Scab Cake
Jul 21, 2002, 06:18 PM
Two things... I'm attaching a non-stretched version of the image from the French page, so maybe it'll look a little more normal. Secondly, remember how everyone hated the quicksilver design and thought that the circular drive bezels were really ugly and more than likely fake? Well, I thought it was fake and ugly, but I ended up loving the enclosure after seeing the FINISHED version. I even bought one not too much later. :) I think that there's potential in this case...

[admin edit:

Attachment removed at the request of Apple Legal

arn]

mccoma
Jul 21, 2002, 06:28 PM
I hope this is not the enclosure. Even though I like the idea of 2 CD/DVD drives, I would be pretty unimpressed if my new power machine came with 2 USB and 2 Firewire.

Let us see, 1 USB for the UPS and 1 for the keyboard. Guess I need a USB hub......
:mad:

DeepDish
Jul 21, 2002, 06:28 PM
I do like the design on my G4 tower, but it is growing too old.

Will the metal effect airport reception like it does in the TiBook?

Needs more USB and FW ports. I am tired of hubs on my desk.

ultrafiel
Jul 21, 2002, 06:32 PM
Now is it just me, or does a 7 lb heatsink seem really heavy. I've never weighed the heatsink in my G4, so I don't know what the current weight is, but 7 lbs? I have a few loose weights here for my weight machine, and that seems awefully heavy. Anyway, I don't know if this is real or not. I'll wait and see. As for those talking about how ugly it looks, it seems to me that many Apple products aren't given justice unless seen in person. I remember looking at the new iMac, and didn't really like it, but when I tested it out at my campus bookstore it was actually really nice.

gopher
Jul 21, 2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Scab Cake
Two things... I'm attaching a non-stretched version of the image from the French page, so maybe it'll look a little more normal. Secondly, remember how everyone hated the quicksilver design and thought that the circular drive bezels were really ugly and more than likely fake? Well, I thought it was fake and ugly, but I ended up loving the enclosure after seeing the FINISHED version. I even bought one not too much later. :) I think that there's potential in this case...

That design looks TOO PC like. I mean who ever thought of having a silver metal finished front in the middle of a white panel that wide? That visually is distressing. Looks like something out Intel's design galery. The beauty of the Flat Panel iMac is that it is all white except for the silvery Apple logo. Stick with the Apple logo staying silver, while the rest of the panel is white, and you'll have a winner. Too much silvery contrast against white is like mixing colors that just don't match. The logo on the Flat Panel iMac is just the right size not to be obnoxious. A computer should blend with the environment. It shouldn't have too many contrasting features that make it look alien. Keep those vents in back if you must have vents. I don't want to see them! And when will Apple learn, we want stereo internal speakers. Make them white and put them on either side of the case. Or make the side of the case be a tilt down LCD display and put the speakers on either side and the ports be on the other side of the case!

Horne
Jul 21, 2002, 06:36 PM
I was speaking to my local Apple reseller, and conveying my story of how I sold my 800MP g4 in the hope of buying a new g4 after MWNY.
I asked him if he knew anything about new PowerMacs, and he said this..

The (single) 800 has stopped being produced. There are 500 left in Britain (where I live) which is obviously not many, and they aint gettin any more.
That makes him think new PMs are out soon, but he thinks it will only be a smallish speed bump. He doesn't think I'll see my 1.4 GHz PM.

He obviously couldn't say too much, and I didn't press him, but he is phoning me as soon as he hears anything!

In short, his guess is modest speed bumps either this week or next. No major revisions this time round.

I don't know any more so don't ask, but just wanted to share....

Horne

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 06:38 PM
sorry, i was being a d*ckhead. Post deleted. :(

DeepDish
Jul 21, 2002, 06:39 PM
Sorry for calling it ugly. I was just hoping for something totally differant and jaw dropping.

Two CD bays, not very Apple.

fbcfabric
Jul 21, 2002, 06:41 PM
well im glad that im not the only one who thinks this case is ugly. it looks to me like somebody attacked the original G4 case with paint stripper.

mymemory
Jul 21, 2002, 06:46 PM
The front panel is ugly, specially for the aluminum part. I do not care about the 4 holes at the botton (doesn't look Apple stuff), but the white color seems nice.

vitruvius
Jul 21, 2002, 06:51 PM
that thing is really ugly!! its a kind of weird mutant between "elcapitan" and what i think should be the next generation PRO line design ( that is similar to TiBook and Xserve) is impossible that mr. Ive would let that thing come out rom Apple

Aquanaut
Jul 21, 2002, 06:52 PM
Whether it's real or not I have come to not pay too much attention to pics of Apple hardware (legit or not).

Before I saw a QuickSilver in the flesh I though it looked pretty uninspiring in magazine and web shots. I thought the ibook was very dull but when I saw one for real I thought it was fantastic. Same with other Apple stuff too. It must be me but I don't seem to get the pics to talk to me.

Going on past experience, I think this looks a bit naff therefore it must be a stunner.

Wes
Jul 21, 2002, 06:52 PM
As somebody said above, you can sometimes not tell with these apple products, in pictures they look horrible but in real-life they look stunning. I think that is the case here. As for the comments on the intakes, I think making a feature of the air-intakes on a Porsche works well, why not on a mac?

~/indigo
Jul 21, 2002, 07:15 PM
Just a note to all of you that are questioning why it says SD RAM when you want DDR RAM don't forget this:
SD RAM = "Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory"

DDR is actually just short for its official name:
DDR SD RAM = "Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory"

This implies that it could be either kind.

Also note that they there are 4 slots and it states that it has support for 4 GB of RAM. As far as I know, a PC 133 1 GB DIMM does not exist while I do know that 1 GB DDR DIMMs do exist (at least ECC).

In any case, it will be interesting to see what the next system holds,
Jeff.

ibjoshua
Jul 21, 2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by gopher
Too much silvery contrast against white is like mixing colors that just don't match.

Are you for real??

The logo on the Flat Panel iMac is just the right size not to be obnoxious. A computer should blend with the environment.

yeah! why not make it beige like everything else in my skanky office!

It shouldn't have too many contrasting features that make it look alien. Keep those vents in back if you must have vents.

??!!

I don't want to see them! And when will Apple learn, we want stereo internal speakers. Make them white and put them on either side of the case.

you're joking right? stereo speakers don't do anything when they're next to each other. there would be no point.

Or make the side of the case be a tilt down LCD display and put the speakers on either side and the ports be on the other side of the case!

this is supposed to be a pro machine not some adolescent fantasy. buy an iMac.

in my opinion this is almost exactly what everyone in these forums has been asking for short of an early G5. you get a speed bumped G4, DDR, front speaker jack, 2 optical drive bays and to top it off it has a little 'pro' brushed metal thrown in without the radical new design that everyone would like to see for the G5.

quit whining.
if all you guys do is look at your macs you don't deserve one.

blogo
Jul 21, 2002, 07:41 PM
Just a note:

DDR RAM is SDRAM

Macette
Jul 21, 2002, 07:56 PM
eeehhhhh? i don't like it.

i want ports on the front for my iPod! i want at least 5 PCI slots, not four.

i want something new and innovative – Steve said just last week: "we're going to innovate through this downturn". Well get on with it! innovate!

i still love my B&W G3 tower like I gave birth to it myself - i want something that will fill the void when it's gone, not something that will remind me of it and make me sad! come on steve... we're counting on you. don't .mac us again...

idkew
Jul 21, 2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Eple
Just a note:

DDR RAM is SDRAM

SDRAM: Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory
DDR RAM: Double Data Rate Random Access Memory

sparkleytone
Jul 21, 2002, 08:25 PM
DDR RAM is SDRAM but SDRAM is not necessarily DDR RAM. get it??

and yes ... 1GB PC133 SDRAM does indeed exist.

G4scott
Jul 21, 2002, 08:43 PM
This design looks like a final design from Apple... I'm looking at how much cooling it has, and by what I can see, it's going to be like an oven in that thing... This could mean faster (I mean, alot faster) processors, like up to 1.4-1.5ghz... I'm having mixed emotions about the design, though...

I think that the reason that the CD drives are in the middle and the PCI cards are at the top is because the processor(s) needs to be at the bottom, instead of the top where all of the heat collects inside the machine, that way they can stay cool better... It might also have to do with the placement of the RAM, since that was a problem with the original G4's and quicksilvers, is that 2 cd drives in that space wouldn't fit with the RAM, but that may have been just the original G4's...

But we can't forget that this could be just one prototype design for the G4... If Apple lets it stay online, then they must be watching this thread, and many others, seeing what we think of the design... Maybe someone will start up a petition online...

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
If Apple lets it stay online, then they must be watching this thread, and many others, seeing what we think of the design...Maybe someone will start up a petition online...

Or maybe you'll stop smoking low-grade crack!

How many times has Apple ever let a design out early "just to see what we think of it". I bet you get a christmas card every year from Steve Jobs, too.

Sheesh. ;) :p

ibjoshua
Jul 21, 2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by iH8Quark

How many times has Apple ever let a design out early "just to see what we think of it". I bet you get a christmas card every year from Steve Jobs, too.

quiet chuckle

s/he's right you know. there are a few too many self-important folks around here ;)

wchamlet
Jul 21, 2002, 09:03 PM
I believe 7 lbs for a heat sync is ridiculas. The pressure that thing would put on the processor and the silicon surrounding it would be very intense. Imagine if you accidentally jarred your system, and the unnexpected movement causes the heat sink to shift. I can easily see a 7 lb. heat sink either cracking or damaging the silicon or processor. Pretty much ruining the entire processor. Why don't they put some sort of hightech liquid coolant unit on it like an A/C to keep it cool. 7 lbs.! Wow!

Chad

sjs
Jul 21, 2002, 09:05 PM
If the G5 is not coming out in August, and this is another G4 machine, then it seems to make sense that its case might be just a slight revision of the current case. (Saving the radical new design for whenever the G5 is ready.)

In the article the author says the case is still the current color...that it only looks white due to distortion.

If the above is true the new Pmacs may be a more minor revision that we have been expecting. However, even with only 1.2ghz, if that's all we get, when you add DDR and Jaguar shouldn't that provide close to a 50% jump in performance in some areas?

gropo
Jul 21, 2002, 09:08 PM
that's not even a terribly good photochop...

I had a couple criticisms about the leaked Quicksilver pics too, and was proven wrong... but this is a tad egregious, don't you think?

[admin edit:

Attachment removed at the request of Apple Legal

arn]

ThomasJefferson
Jul 21, 2002, 09:11 PM
That thing is as ugly as home-made sin.:(

G4scott
Jul 21, 2002, 09:18 PM

I don't smoke crack... But hey, this is a rumors site, we can speculate, can't we? Of course, the odds of Apple letting us see something just so they can get our opinion on it are very low...

Oh, and actually, I do get a christmas card from Steve, and a christmas ham... ;) :p

G4scott
Jul 21, 2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by gropo
that's not even a terribly good photochop...

I had a couple criticisms about the leaked Quicksilver pics too, and was proven wrong... but this is a tad eggregious, don't you think?

I don't know... The rest of the machine seems too real to be fake... Besides, the low resolution of the photo may be the reason as to why the vent holes look out of line... My point about it is why doesn't the guy take better pictures of all the stuff instead of making a PDF? He obviously had the time to do it, so why not???

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 09:29 PM
Not to repost, but:

If you look closely, you can see the reflection of another tower in the brushed metal portion. So whoever took this photo had more than one of these.

hey...this is post 200! :D

Bradcoe
Jul 21, 2002, 09:35 PM
This things got all the pre-G5 stuff I've heard you people asking for in these forums. The fans, heatsink, and ventilation are COMPLETELY necessary. Keeping the internal parts cool in a confined space is extremely important. It also leaves Apple room to place hotter (and therefore higher clocked) processors (or MORE PROCESSORS) in the existing case design. Externally it may not be that appeasing to all of you, but let me remind you its just a 2-D photo. The core design may allow apple to move from the G4 to higher clocked G4s and even a G5 or whatever is next, without a major overhaul of the inside, and just a major overhaul of the outside, which will give the impression of big imporvements, a la G5 or whatever's next.
As far as 4096MB of ram in 4 slots goes, this is awesome. The G4 that apple was using couldn't handle more than 1.5GB of RAM. Obviously it's not going to stay as 133Mhz memory. I don't know what It'll be though (DDR speeds or anything else, etc.).

Show me a 1024MB 133SDRAM chip. Pricewatch.com doesn't list any so they're not common and therefore apple WONT use them.

gropo
Jul 21, 2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
The rest of the machine seems too real to be fake... Besides, the low resolution of the photo may be the reason as to why the vent holes look out of line... My point about it is why doesn't the guy take better pictures of all the stuff instead of making a PDF? He obviously had the time to do it, so why not??? I'll tell you why not. It's fake. The first two are in line, the last two are in line... The two *sets* are unaligned. If you look at the original resolution of the "vent holes" up close you can even see the poor editing.

I will rely on Ockham's Razor to deduct that the 'path of least resistance' to the truth begind this "leaked" picture is that someone took a gain-bled digi-snap of a Quicksilver (with celophane on the handles/sides) and had a little 'go' at it with Photoshop.

jg3
Jul 21, 2002, 09:41 PM
I dunno about the whole PCI slots on top thing. If the drawing in the PDF is anywhere near accurate, it looks like there would be problems with the cards hitting the inside of the case when you try to open it. But then, I don't think I have the axis of rotation quite right - I tried it a couple ways and decided to leave it this way to best show my point. I also added more "cut" line in the back panel (in black) because the PDF author apparently left it out, unless the whole door mechanism has changed. Also, unless the case is wider, that power supply has to be *quite* slim to fit with PCI cards next to it. I like the extra IDE bus, but I'm not so sure the internal layout makes much sense. The only good part I can think of about having the PCI slots is that the cards would rotate through less space when you open the case, leaving more room on the inside. Very interesting...

BillGates
Jul 21, 2002, 09:54 PM
Why would 2001 be printed on a yet-to-be-released new logicboard/daughter card?

DavidRavenMoon
Jul 21, 2002, 09:58 PM
Ooh.. this is quite ugly. :(

The rounded square panel for the drive bays makes me think this might have been a Quicksilver prototype, since that's the same design as the graphite G4s (and B&Ws). it even has the big flip down drive doors.

I always hated that drive bay insert... blech!

I think the current Quicksilver case looks much nicer.

I hope they come out with an all new case soon.

alex_ant
Jul 21, 2002, 10:35 PM
... You mean you don't?

ibjoshua
Jul 21, 2002, 10:43 PM
against:
* The aluminium faceplate does look a little uncomfortable - and the reflection in it may actually be the PowerMac that it is pretending to be. - iH8Quark
* possible problem opening the side door - jg3
* not very good pics - why the hurry? - G4scott
* The intakes on the front do look out of line - bad Photoshop??. -gropo (if you look closely this is the most compelling 'evidence' of a fake

for:
* more heat extraction for a hotter machine - Bradcoe
* a wider body? - for more internal space - me
* in a hurry - not 'his' machine? - me

did i miss anything?

josh
out

iH8Quark
Jul 21, 2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant

... You mean you don't?

I get the fruitcake. :D

arn
Jul 21, 2002, 10:50 PM
Update:

1) Images on this site were removed at the request of Apple Legal.
2) MacRumors source confirms that the enclosure is real.

arn

ibjoshua
Jul 21, 2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by i_b_joshua
for:
* in a hurry - not 'his' machine? - me

if arn's source is right that was probably a good guess:)

G4scott
Jul 21, 2002, 11:01 PM
I'm thinking, if the mobo has a G4 on it, and it has a copyright from Apple, then it must be true, but the question is, is it just one of a series of prototype designs?

Macette
Jul 21, 2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by arn
Update:

1) Images on this site were removed at the request of Apple Legal.

arn

Ha! They're bluffing.

G4scott
Jul 21, 2002, 11:10 PM
I wonder... Someone, put the pictures on your mac.com homepage, and talk about it only here. maybe put an article or something, but don't mention it being on your website other than here... If you get a 'cease and decist' notice from Apple, or if it disappears from your site mysteriously, you'll know 1 of two things... Apple's constantly browsing the contents of their users iDisks, or their legal department actually come to these forums :D

toml1959
Jul 21, 2002, 11:17 PM
The photos show an UGLY box, and don't follow cleaner design themes of everything since the orig. ti PowerBook and cube, regardless of what's supposedly inside.

julzmon
Jul 21, 2002, 11:26 PM
I would think the next design would be an all brushed metal one. At least I'm hoping it is.
I figure with all these iApps coming out, they would design things to go along with it. Like the TiBook.
I will not buy just an updated case. I'm waiting till there is a completely new design. On top of that I would only buy the second revision of it. The fist revs I get are always on the flimsy side and then I'm jealous of the second ones.

DannyZR2
Jul 21, 2002, 11:50 PM
You morons...

SDR SDRAM
DDR SDRAM

BOTH are SDRAM.. get it straight you idiots!

I just want to know if we'll get two dual configurations of 1.2 and 1.4. That would do it for me... -no jokes-

Catfish_Man
Jul 22, 2002, 12:37 AM
...did you see how many IDE devices it can have? I think that's because Apple's new northbridge (uni-north) has 4 built in ATA100 controllers and they didn't want to waste them. I think we'll see something very similar to an XServe, but with the benefits of a new G4 (proper DDR support?) and extra space (4 ram slots, lots of bays). If I'm right this thing is going to be *fast*. Also, all the heat sinks point to either a lot of drives, cramped space, or high clocking processors.

GeeYouEye
Jul 22, 2002, 12:40 AM
To all: If anyone has the actual pics (not the PDF) saved, can you email em to me? thanks. email is [deleted]. :D

Thanks, person-who-may-or-may-not-want-to-be-named (not gonna take chances here)! Much appreciated!

BTW, does anyone else notice the thing in the reflection on the front of the case looks like it's also wrapped? There's a bright spot on the bottom which looks like cellophane with a crease in it.

Edit #2: thanks now to all three people who sent pics!

redAPPLE
Jul 22, 2002, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Megaquad
no way case is fake,i just hope it is failed prototype (there were rumors that apple is testing 6 different cases) cause it looks terrible,that aluminium looks so cheap,its just old slightly modified El Capitano..
if apple releases this,they are idiots! who's gonna buy this? i surely wont!:mad:

no offense intended, but...

guys in croatia can afford g4 macs?

if so, how much would the high end tower cost?

in euros and dollars if possible.

Carbon
Jul 22, 2002, 05:22 PM
Darn! I didn't see the photos before they were pulled!
At the risk of being censored, could someone who has the images of the PM (not the PDF) email them to me? (infinitysw@hotmail.com)

Thanks a bunch!

thedude
Jul 22, 2002, 05:54 PM
Hope this doesn't screw MOSR, but the pics are back up over there.

But damn, the thing is so UGLY that I don't know if you wanna look at it. My monitor flinched when I brought it up, it's THAT UGLY. What was the design team smoking anyway. It has no design value whatsoever. The metal stuff looks like they just slapped it on, and what the hell's up with those holes?

Apple, if you're listening, here's the scoop. All my Peecee buddies keep saying that they would switch if the case looked a little more professional, more MEAN. They can't stand this translucent stuff. Listen to the guys on this site. A tough looking pro machine made out of alluminum, with hotswap bays on the bottom, and not 2, but 3 external 5.25 bays. You got your cd/DVD in one bay, a 250 zip in another. What about a firewire DVdeck? Or tape drive? X-Serve like would be fine. Now is that too much to ask?

theranch
Jul 22, 2002, 05:54 PM
Someone has to have these photos posted on their .mac homepage...post the link. Or send me a pm.
Thanks

theranch
Jul 22, 2002, 05:55 PM
Did anyone check this out... http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-945430.html
to see if it is the same processor that could be in the new Powermac? This link was posted on another thread on this site.

IndyGopher
Jul 22, 2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by thedude
Hope this doesn't screw MOSR, but the pics are back up over there.

But damn, the thing is so UGLY that I don't know if you wanna look at it. My monitor flinched when I brought it up, it's THAT UGLY. What was the design team smoking anyway. It has no design value whatsoever. The metal stuff looks like they just slapped it on, and what the hell's up with those holes?

Apple, if you're listening, here's the scoop. All my Peecee buddies keep saying that they would switch if the case looked a little more professional, more MEAN. They can't stand this translucent stuff. Listen to the guys on this site. A tough looking pro machine made out of alluminum, with hotswap bays on the bottom, and not 2, but 3 external 5.25 bays. You got your cd/DVD in one bay, a 250 zip in another. What about a firewire DVdeck? Or tape drive? X-Serve like would be fine. Now is that too much to ask?

How on Earth do the terms "MEAN" and "Professional" refer to the same computer case? Sounds like you're describing the aluminum cases that kids bring into the shop with neon lights and all sorts of holes cut in the case for fans and windows... Surely you are not implying that is 'professional'.. and if so, please GOD don't let Apple release anything that lends itself to that.

Eliot
Jul 22, 2002, 08:04 PM
Anyone who favors a pure aluminum case is an idiot. From either a design or an aesthetic POV it's *********. If you don't understand this, give it a few years before you post again and it'll all be clear.

backspinner
Jul 22, 2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by i_b_joshua
did i miss anything?

what about that fan next to the mobo, it has a grommet around so this is going to connect to something. doesn't look like going to a drive. and it is hidden in the wall of the opening case...

Huked on Fonick
Jul 22, 2002, 10:24 PM
This all seems faily reasonalbe except for the hole part about a 7 pound heat sink........
7 founds of aluminium that would take up the hole case. Lets put this into perspective. A Gallon of Water is a little over 7 pounds right around 8 pounds and i think aluminium is ligher than water????

My 0.02 USD

-Pat

Stike
Jul 22, 2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Huked on Fonick
This all seems faily reasonalbe except for the hole part about a 7 pound heat sink........
7 founds of aluminium that would take up the hole case. Lets put this into perspective. A Gallon of Water is a little over 7 pounds right around 8 pounds and i think aluminium is ligher than water????

My 0.02 USD

-Pat

:eek: Yeah, Aluminium is lighter than water.. LOL Sorry, but try this:
Take a ladder made of aluminium, and throw it in the nearby river. If it stays on the surface, you bought a ladder of wood. :rolleyes:

Except there is some hollow space in the ladder to hold it up!

scem0
Jul 22, 2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by DannyZR2
You morons...

SDR SDRAM
DDR SDRAM

You moron...

WE KNOW THAT
IT HAS BEEN SAID (I THINK) 4 TIMES IN THIS 1 THREAD

FOUR TIMES is ENOUGH.. get it straight you idiot!

--

OK, I have been in a bad mood all day :(, dont take that personally. I dont want flames in this thread, but personally, I think that the picture is a prototype, and it is close (but not exactly) to the design of the upcoming PMs. I think the new PMs will sport up to 1.4 GHz processors, USB 2, FW 2 (questionable though :o ), and an all brushed metal case. But everyone is saying that the case is ugly, and that they are mad at apple. I will only be mad at apple if the PMs dont support DDR, dont go past 1.2 GHz, or if they dont ship with jaguar.

Sorry for the bad mood. :rolleyes:

--

Emo

solvs
Jul 23, 2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by DannyZR2
You morons...

SDR SDRAM
DDR SDRAM

I just want to know if we'll get two dual configurations of 1.2 and 1.4. That would do it for me... -no jokes-

Calling people morons and idiots. I thought I was in a bad mood. You're forgetting one thing... DDR SDRAM is never referred to as SDRAM. Saying SDR SDRAM sounds redundant, therefore SDR SDRAM is often referred to as just SDRAM or PC133. DDR SDRAM is called DDR or DDR Ram.

Plus it's faster because it's Double Data Rate, rising and falling, ASYNC, whatever you want to call it. Therefore allowing for more memory thoroughput. They're different. Thus the distinction.

Dumbass (how do you like it?)

I'd like a Dual 1.2, too, but I hope it's not the top end.

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 23, 2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by thedude
Apple, if you're listening, here's the scoop. All my Peecee buddies keep saying that they would switch if the case looked a little more professional, more MEAN. They can't stand this translucent stuff.

U gotta B kidding. You mean people buy a computer for what it looks like, as opposed to what it does? I would think you'd buy a PowerMac 1) because it runs the Mac OS instead of Windoze, and 2) because it is fast, real fast, not some slow putz that still uses FREAKIN ATA/66 TECHNOLOGY and only PC133 SDRAM!

Many posts in this thread are hilarious because they are concerned the new PowerMac isn't as pretty as they'd like it to be. WHAAAAT?!? Who cares what the thing looks like?! Many people (myself included) put their PowerMac under their desk. As long as the design supports the hardware. Just give me more power and I'll be happy. 1GHz/dual 1.2GHz/dual 1.4GHz with ATA/133 and DDR RAM and the new Radeon graphics cards and I'll plop my money down the morning the announcement is made.

The new case design, whether close to the shipping version or not, at least shows Apple is designing a case to provide better cooling for the insides, which means faster CPUs. Assuming Apple is releasing a new case design in August, I would hope we see the largest speed bumps we've ever seen in a Mac (everyone keep saying, " 1GHz/dual 1.2GHz/dual 1.4GHz, 1GHz/dual 1.2GHz/dual 1.4GHz, 1GHz/dual 1.2GHz/dual 1.4GHz" and maybe it'll come true).

Also, don't forget the rumors for new displays. One said Apple is doing away with the 15-inch display and will be making 17-inch/19-inch/22-inch wide cinema displays, at better pricing that is current. Let's hope so. I'm prepared to buy the mid-range Powermac w/19-inch display if Apple actually offers it. If Apple can't do this I'll probably just buy and emac at EDU pricing just to tide me over until Apple can get their rear in gear to make a PowerMac that lives up to today's standards.

deepkid
Jul 23, 2002, 11:13 AM
I found it quite bewildering that some mac people said that the look of the machine doesn't matter. You have to be kidding. The look has *always* mattered. Everything about the machine should be exceptional..from the OS, to the programs to the casings, etc. It must be a work of art.

wchamlet
Jul 23, 2002, 11:40 AM
deepkid, that was very funny!

Do you even realize that Pro Mac users could care less about the austhetics of their towers! The looks of the towers means absolutely nothing. It's the inside which pays the bills yo', not the outside. I for the life of me can't fathom why a Pro user would care if his/her machine looked good or not.

You described that the tower must look good on all levels... but you failed to mention performance, which obviously is where the G4 does NOT look good. That was a very funny reply deepkid, thanks.

I think the only people that would really care are the consumers who just need a PC at home. I agree the new iMac rocks, and I would love to have one, but I need speed and power alot more than I need pretty clear plastic and lickable buttons. Heh

User X
Jul 23, 2002, 12:39 PM
Anybody take a screen cap or somthing of the Powermac picture? I was too late.....I should check the rumor sites more often.....Agggh not enough time in the day!

thedude
Jul 23, 2002, 01:19 PM
wow, I guess i hit a nerve somewhere. So basically everyone here is concerned with internals, and not about the look of a case. So what's up with this entire thread! If we really didn't care about what a computer looks like, then why is everyone trying to get the damn PDF? What I'm saying, is that for most of the people I know, the mac is just a little bit too "pretty" and by looking at it, the power that it has dosn't come through in the case design. I would personally want somehting that shows what the machine can do. Now, for all you who are thinking about all those mod guys with the pretty lights and the big ass fans, that's just plain stupid. Please, I think that's what separates the adults from the kids. I think a design based off the xserve, with similar design elements and hot swap bays would be look both very professional and very, mmm, "serious" is a better word. Oh, and while i'm at it, If this were any other company, looks wouldn't matter. But Apple is about image as well as substance. Look at the cube. That's what makes it different from your dell's and hp's. Open your eyes, Apple has been selling image for years now. It's brought them back into the black and kept them alive. So please don't patronize me about "looks don't matter" If they came out with a box like any other pc box, they wouldn't be apple.

I'm sorry but you're smoking the same stuff as the designers if you think that looks don't matter. Maybe in a perfect world, but if this was a perfect world, Apple would own M$.

Tell you what, I can get you a motherboard, just slap it on the table and connect your hardware. That'll give you the best cooling possible. Looks don't matter, right?

solvs
Jul 23, 2002, 01:38 PM
I think we can all agree we love the Mac OS. Why else would we be here? And we hate the way M$ does business.

But a lot of us loyalists, who once touted the superiority of the hardware, software, and the company in general, seem to be waivering. Apple isn't the only one running a business in an "economic slowdown". Most of us are at least budgeting, and need the most bang for our bucks.

Sorry to tell you, but Wintels are the competition. If Apple wants to win consumers, and keep us non-zealot supporters, they need to wake up. If Motorola is lagging, find other ways to make things look better. Faster FSB, memory, IDE, overall system improvements. The cases are neat and all, but what about what's inside? The software is Fantastic, give us the hardware to prove it. We all dislike Windows.

And M$. So why conduct business like they do? I support them buying up other companies to innovate (Apple, not M$), and giving us new software solutions, but at what costs. Should we just accept it, because it's the lesser of 2 evils? Should we just say, "well that's the fastest Mac there is, so I'll buy it". Or "it looks so stylish, who cares if it's still using last years technology". Why become complacent with the obsolesencs?

Should we have to over pay for things that others offer for free, or at least cheaper? People are mad because they feel extorted, and dammit, they have every right to be pissed. They paid extra because they thought they were getting more. Now they're getting the old "bait and switch". The extras of .Mac are worth $100/year, if they work. But what about the "free for life" e-mail. Or paying $1,000 for a new OS X.2 Server Liscense 2 months after buying a $4,000+ xServe? Or even FULL PRICE for an upgrade. They want us to buy hardware before an Expo, then punish us if we do.

See if anybody buys a new Mac after they announce 10.3, but before they deliver it. Next it will be XP type registration practices. Isn't this why we're trying to move away M$. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't get new customers by p*ssing people off, and you lose those that used to support you. How many of us used to rave to our friends, family, and co-workers about Apples? How many of us now think twice before recommending them? They want to switch people, give them a better reason to want to switch.

They want to move into the Pro realm, give us Pro hardware. Who cares if you have a 1.2 GHz CPU, if it's surrounded by ATA/133 (which really is better than ATA/66), 120 GB+ Hard Drives, PC2700 DDR, 166 FSB (x2), 2 CD Drives, USB 2, built-in Bluetooth, etc. It matters now. You can do it. How many of us use GB Ethernet, or used USB or FW when they first came out? You can't use modern day specs!?!

You want to charge us more, give us more. All you zealots can flame away. "Apple good, Wintel bad, must hide head in sand". You should see what the other side is saying, I'm a zealot to them. But I'm just trying to be a realist here. I want a new Mac, but nothing on the current roster suits my needs. I'm not paying $2,000 for style. I can't afford to. Not many can (and if you can, lucky you). Mr. Jobs, give me something fairly decent and I'll take a (slight) performance hit for the extra stability and ease of use.

It's my $$$, I'll take it where I think it would serve me best. And telling people to just go buy a PC doesn't help. Actually it just proves my point. Because that's exactly what people do. This isn't a private club, it's a business claiming to want new customers, and in doing so doesn't seem to be catering to it's current base. If anything, it's p*ssing off it's most important clientel by making a lot of really bad choices. We're not happy, and we, the customer, are what matter.

Voice your opinions people. And b*tch all you want, until someone listens. Because no, it's not "good enough".

We're mad as Hell, and we're not gonna take it anymore.

wchamlet
Jul 23, 2002, 01:41 PM
I'm not opposed to a well designed exterior of the next G4/5. I'm also not hung up on it being the best in the world. Quite frankly, I am unimpressed with the Quicksilver 933 I have here at work. I really could care less if it still looked like the older G4/3's or not. I am however quite happy with it's performance.

Leave the motherboard on the table... umm no. That would definetely suck. How long do you think it would last, you know, with all the dust, moisture, etc... that will be so openly available to the G4's innards. I'd at least cover it with the box it came in. :P

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 23, 2002, 04:58 PM
I still don't understand why PC users would switch to the Mac "if the case looked a little more professional, more MEAN."

The reasons I hear PC users not switching to the Mac is that they feel the Mac has no software/games, they already have all their years of documents in PC file formats, and they feel the Mac is overpriced (for example: $2299 for 933MHz/PC133 bus/ATA-66 technology). I've never heard a PC user say, "You know, I'd go with a Mac if it weren't for the silly look of that Quicksilver tower."

The leaked case photos look very similar to the current Quicksilver case. Sure, it is different, but similar, and it sure ain't no beige PC box. It still has the same basic shape and opens the same way as the Quicksilver. The el captain design is one of the easiest computer cases in the world to open and upgrade. I don't see how Apple could improve on the design that much.

Am I curious what the new case will look like? As a Mac user and potential customer, yes. Will the look of the case be the primary reason I buy a new PowerMac? No way. What will get me to spend my money depends on what is on the inside. If the new PowerMacs released in August have a hot new case that everyone loves (don't know if that is possible--always seems to be someone who doesn't like it) but only come in 933/1GHz/dual 1.2 GHz with PC133 SDRAM and ATA/100 at $1599/2299/2999, I'm gonna keep my money and not buy a new PowerMac. The look isn't going to get my money. Its what is on the inside that counts.

thedude
Jul 23, 2002, 06:19 PM
I definitly believe that performance is much more important than design, I'm not saying it isn't. It would be nice to have all the things that people have suggested. DDR (333) dual 1.2's (at least) a faster bus (166) and better io performance (ata133 or SCSI160). I am ASSUMING that apple will address these issues, (albiet a little late) and that the performace of the new g4's will exceed expectations.

Many of the pc users taht I have talked to feel that apple is charged a premium for design. Not for substance. This is where the problem arises. Imagine if apple released an ugly design. Then what would the pc world say? "not only is the mac half as fast as a wintel machine, but it's ugly too!"

I certainly expect a lot from apple, and I think that they should address performance issues first before redesigning the case. So what if the case has been the same for a while, if the performance is there, the converts will come.

But I don't think that you can just dismiss the importance of a well thought out design. Just look at what the imac did for apple. Slower computer, better design, more sales.

SPG
Jul 23, 2002, 06:44 PM
solvs, I hear you, but at the same time have to say ****. IF all you want is a nifty looking OS and the biggest numbers to quote than maybe the mac isn't for you. For me and everyone I know who uses one it's the stable OS, ease of use, and the apps that work. FCP is reason enough for me to not even consider a PC.
My macs have always been useful machines with very long lifespans and well worth the higher initial investment over the longterm. I too hope that these new towers are much faster and more powerful and that the G5 comes soon adn provides a quantum leap in performance but I have to admit that I am still very productive day to day on a first generation G4 450. How well does any wintel box from three years ago hold up? How about video software for under $1000 or even under $10,000 on a PC?

ladrums1000
Jul 23, 2002, 07:25 PM
I don't think this is truely the new casing. I heard several months back that the new PM will sport a completely different look than the current model, a much narrower and sleeker look. This current picture seems to look alot like the old PM. I think this is apple ********* with the rumor sites. You will all be very surprised and I feel happy once you see the new and very different PM than what you are seeing here.

G4scott
Jul 23, 2002, 07:35 PM
ooh, the suspense, the conflict, the broccoli...

Get over it... It's a case. As long as it's not too distracting, or beige, and it has functionality, I really don't care what it looks like... Now, for a laptop, I'd care more about what mine looks like, just because more people see me with it...

Besides, for all of you children who complain that it looks ugly, and that you're going to be humiliated by your pee-cee friends, get a life, and then go tell your pee-cee friends to go get a life too... I swear...

DavidRavenMoon
Jul 23, 2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by solvs
Saying SDR SDRAM sounds redundant, therefore SDR SDRAM is often referred to as just SDRAM or PC133. DDR SDRAM is called DDR or DDR Ram.

It does sound redundant, since the SDR (Single Data Rate) looks like SD*RAM, but the second SD means Synchronous Dynamic RAM.

And of course SDRAM can also be PC100, etc.

I think Apple is the only company that says DDR SDRAM.

DavidRavenMoon
Jul 23, 2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by wchamlet
Do you even realize that Pro Mac users could care less about the austhetics of their towers! The looks of the towers means absolutely nothing. It's the inside which pays the bills yo', not the outside. I for the life of me can't fathom why a Pro user would care if his/her machine looked good or not.

Are you speaking for all of us pro Mac users? I make a living on Macs and the *aesthetics* DO matter. Why? Because some of us are artists and appreciate good design. Why should we care what our cars look like, as long as they drive fast? But we do.

Yes, mine is under my desk, but it's a really nice glass topped desk.

Do you think Apple would spend so much time on design if it didn't matter? It's in the details son, the details. This is why they win so many awards.

Of course we want a fast computer, but we don't want an ugly one either. I think the Xserve is a good indication of the path Apple will take performance wise.

Your grammar tells me you are 20 something?

What do you know about pros yo? lol

thedude
Jul 23, 2002, 08:06 PM
Well said Moon...

Humiliated? Okay, sure whatever...they're the ones running windows...

Nuff said on that...

wchamlet
Jul 23, 2002, 09:53 PM
But I am an artist as well. I appreciate good design, and I applaud Apple for reinventing it's designs every so often. My first computer was a B&W G3. I didn't see any pictures of it before I bought it. I just bought it. I thought it would look like the old beige G3's I had used at the Joe Kubert School in NJ. But to my surprise I found that it was colorful, along with my 17" Apple Studio display. Cool. But how much did that extra "Design" work cost me? Doesn't really matter now, because the computer has paid for itself many times over.

As for being a Pro... I am also one of those few and proud... so to speak, Apple computer users (Since everyone assumes that only artists use Macs). I love the interface, the accesability of the inner hardware, and it's looks. I also like to work with them. Be it drawing in Photoshop, or Video Editing, Macs are a dream to work on. Funny thing though is I rarely use the Apple iApps, mainly because I really don't need them. Yet. I think I'll be playing around with iDVD, that is as soon as I can get an idea together for an animation or two.

And you are right about my age, which is 25. I usually don't write nor talk like that, I was just being silly. It's not like we all got a life anyway. I mean, we are here on macrumors forums talking about the design of the next G4. Pretty silly concept to begin with anyway. :D

If you'd like, check out my site. I don't know how long it will be up, being that Apple's new .Mac service is now a pay service. I'm still indecided as to whether or not I truly need it. I am not saying I am the best artist in the world. But I do get paid doing it. Using Macs of course. :D

Chad's ol' Website (http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/Menu1.html)

DavidRavenMoon
Jul 23, 2002, 10:20 PM
If you'd like, check out my site. I don't know how long it will be up, being that Apple's new .Mac service is now a pay service. I'm still indecided as to whether or not I truly need it. I am not saying I am the best artist in the world. But I do get paid doing it. Using Macs of course. :D

Chad's ol' Website (http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/Menu1.html)

Hey, very nice stuff. I just got done playing SmashBros Melee with my 10 year old son, so I had to show him your stuff... he liked it too. :)

I don't know if I'm going to pay for .Mac either... I have my own domain with email and all, but the mac.com address was cool.

My page:

David's Page (http://www.david-schwab.com)

Let's not fight over the fact that we have the coolest looking computers around! And yes, we use Macs for Mac OS... no matter what the case looks like.

wchamlet
Jul 23, 2002, 10:40 PM
I like the Dragon pic the best. The 3D stuff is pretty cool too. That lady.. well, let's just say she is really pointing! LOL

I'm holding off on buying a new tower, (Macwarehouse screwed me over a few days ago, coulda had a DP G4 for $2,299.), until Maya 4.5 is released. I'll probably get whatever the top Powermac is at the time. What 3D app did you use for your pics? Bryce? Lightwave? If I would have known how 3D would have advanced, I definetely would have picked it up years ago.

macphisto
Jul 23, 2002, 10:59 PM
(One wonders...) How hard would be to get start the rumor wagon about the newest G5 and the next iteration of their cases. It seems to me, if you watch all the rumors sites, glean the best "specs" and information, while being mindful to throw out the frivolous and ridiculous. That combined with a decent "photoshoped" image, then how long would it take the whole mac rumor community to be abuzz about the secret cases or the next chips.

I mean how often does Microsoft send you a check for $25,682.21 if you forward the "newest tracker" email to all of your friends in the next five minutes?

DavidRavenMoon
Jul 23, 2002, 11:27 PM
I like the Dragon pic the best. The 3D stuff is pretty cool too. That lady.. well, let's just say she is really pointing! LOL

I'm holding off on buying a new tower, (Macwarehouse screwed me over a few days ago, coulda had a DP G4 for $2,299.), until Maya 4.5 is released. I'll probably get whatever the top Powermac is at the time. What 3D app did you use for your pics? Bryce? Lightwave? If I would have known how 3D would have advanced, I definetely would have picked it up years ago.

Thanks. I used Bryce and Poser for the 3D stuff. All the 2D stuff was Illustrator and Photoshop. The Dragon was done in Painter. Was one of those things that took ten minutes lol I'm trying to learn Maya and Lightwave...

I'll using a G4/466 that I bought last year... all ready obsolite! I have a gig of RAM in it though, so I think I'm going to get one of the 1GHz G4 upgrades that are coming out and hold off a while on a new Mac.

Wait until the new towers come out and then the prices of the current ones will drop. Check out Smalldog.com.

solvs
Jul 24, 2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by SPG
solvs, I hear you, but at the same time have to say ****. IF all you want is a nifty looking OS and the biggest numbers to quote than maybe the mac isn't for you. For me and everyone I know who uses one it's the stable OS, ease of use, and the apps that work. FCP is reason enough for me to not even consider a PC.
My macs have always been useful machines with very long lifespans and well worth the higher initial investment over the longterm. I too hope that these new towers are much faster and more powerful and that the G5 comes soon adn provides a quantum leap in performance but I have to admit that I am still very productive day to day on a first generation G4 450. How well does any wintel box from three years ago hold up? How about video software for under $1000 or even under $10,000 on a PC?

You missed my point. Higher #'s don't mean anything. It's the technology. DDR Ram is better than SDRam (it just is). ATA/133 allows for hard drives over 128-137 GBs. And other people looka t numbers. The MHz myth you can, maybe, use. Up to a point. ATA/66, PC133 on the HIGH END!?! Hate to tell you, but we're trying to convince other people to switch. Telling me that Macs just aren't for me because I expect more from a $3,000 + machine just proves my point.

The fact that you still use an older G4 also proves my point. I'm not upgrading either until they give me a better reason than a few more MHz. Is it so much to ask for better I/O? THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE MACHINE. Several thousand $$$. That's a lot of money. Apps notwithstanding, especially since I won't even use most of them. And some of the ones I might have used are no longer free.

Yes Windows SUX. But I'm not paying thousands of dollars more for a little more style and a little more stability, but far more limited and much slower. Win 2000 is stable enough for some stuff, and face it, much faster for a lot less money. I'd be willing to pay more for style and stability if the performance hit was slightly less significant. If you were in the market for a new computer and on the fence, what would you realistically choose? Most people would choose the PC, and I don't blame them.

I'm not going to blindly follow a company that's doing the same type of thing that we hate it's competitor for.

And why is it that every time someone critizes Apple for something that they've done that we feel is wrong everybody tells us to ****. I am entitled to my opinion, as you are yours. And I feel that I am rightfully pissed at a company I used to love. They may be profitable now, but when you continually p*ss off your most fervent users, you stand to begin losing customers. And you don't keep the ones you gain. Look around. I'm not exactly in the minority here.

Tell people to go buy a PC (yeah, cuz that helps), and they will.

Saying we don't need you doesn't help either. We do!!!

filmcutter
Jul 24, 2002, 11:30 AM
So if the new case IS some sort of brushed metal, does that mean that every time I walk across my carpeted floor and I touch my new mac, I will get shocked?

And would that be considered a new feature??

thedude
Jul 24, 2002, 02:50 PM
It's great to see all the artists.

Maya 4.5 is announced, but only a complete version for osX. It's a great program and out of the box let's you do a lot of things that the other packages can't.

But again it's just a glorified pencil, so the app doesn't really matter. It's all about talent in the end.

check out www.raph.com for some great work from all over the globe.

The Journalist
Jul 25, 2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by filmcutter
So if the new case IS some sort of brushed metal, does that mean that every time I walk across my carpeted floor and I touch my new mac, I will get shocked?

And would that be considered a new feature??

Is that bad? I see positives in that...

nanumac
Jul 26, 2002, 04:02 AM
I think that apple is releasing this case as shown in the leaked pics now really soon, and then a brushed metal case xserve style when G5 is ready, that would make me bye this machine now AND the G5 in another 4-6 months or whenever it ships. :rolleyes:
In other words it might boost sales.