PDA

View Full Version : Something Bizarre in the Sky

Wes
Jul 23, 2004, 08:52 AM
Two nights ago (21st of July, 9:30pm London time) I was lying in bed looking out the window in a westward direction when I saw something really strange. Just above the horizon I saw something about the size and shape of the moon in mid-cycle, a crescent. It was of a red tinge. I watched it for 30 seconds and it slowly waned and then disappeared.

It was really bizarre, I am on malaria pills which CAN cause hallucinations but I've had no other problems with them as of yet.

JesseJames
Jul 23, 2004, 09:38 AM
I was in the California desert a long time ago and saw a huge hazy brightness light up the night sky.
It scared the crap out of us. We were absolutely transfixed. It faded out quickly; the duration was maybe 10 seconds.
Later we were told that it could've been an aborted missile from the White Sands Missile test range.
The strange thing was that it just didn't look like an explosion. Just a slow brightness reaching an apex then fading quickly. Maybe it was in the upper atmosphere when aborted.

question fear
Jul 23, 2004, 10:55 AM
maybe it was a promo for "the 4400" ;-)

themadchemist
Jul 23, 2004, 11:06 AM
superman

aloofman
Jul 23, 2004, 11:46 AM
I was in the California desert a long time ago and saw a huge hazy brightness light up the night sky.
It scared the crap out of us. We were absolutely transfixed. It faded out quickly; the duration was maybe 10 seconds.
Later we were told that it could've been an aborted missile from the White Sands Missile test range.
The strange thing was that it just didn't look like an explosion. Just a slow brightness reaching an apex then fading quickly. Maybe it was in the upper atmosphere when aborted.

Seems unlikely that it would be from White Sands Missile Range, since that's in New Mexico. But there are numerous weapons testing areas throughout the California deserts. It could have been any number of things.

You sure the "huge hazy brightness" wasn't just because you were looking toward L.A.? :D

FriarCrazy
Jul 23, 2004, 03:01 PM
One time I saw a crazy white disk flying with its edge vertical, so it looked like just a big white circle moving through the air. I saw it through the trees in my back yard, it was the strangest thing... Has anybody ever been watching the night sky and seen a moving light change direction? Thats kinda weird too... :confused:

MacAztec
Jul 23, 2004, 03:52 PM
I saw a fireball one night. I was in my kitchen and my dad was outside smoking a cigar. He started yelling for me to come outside, so i did. There was this ball, at first it lookeed like a Jet with its bright right at you, then it got bigger and brighter, was a whitish/reddish color. It went into the ground about 50 miles from my house.

There was an article in the paper the next day, they said it was the size of a basketball, but it looked huge!.

ryan42
Jul 23, 2004, 04:00 PM
We used to live along a railroad track. There was a highway and we were on a hill along side the highway. The tracks were on a hill along our property. On the other side of the hill was a rest area.
A diagram for your better understanding?
http://homepage.mac.com/ryan42/238.jpg

Anyway. One night at about 2:30 AM I woke up and we were having a terribile storm. I couldn't fall back asleep and I had a bathroom that had a window that I had a clear view of the tracks from. I was watching for a while and There was a bright blue flash from the right. It looked like it was on the tracks but it was on the other side of the highway and there were lots of trees and stuff and I couldn't see the tracks there. It wasn't lightening, just a huge blue flash. The power went out at about the time the flash happened. A few minutes later there was a blue/orange ball like thing that seemed to have some kind of tail on it moving rather quickly down the tracks. It scared the living hell outta me. :eek: I think I was maybe 7 or 8 then.

I've since taken it to be "ball lightning."

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Science/Ball%20Lightning.html

Wes
Jul 23, 2004, 04:02 PM
This maybe a coincidence but roughly in that direction there is a railway line. That doesn't explain the crescent shape and the waning though. Very interesting stuff.

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2004, 12:35 AM
superman
^^
Agreeded. :rolleyes:

ryan42
Jul 24, 2004, 08:50 PM
Maybe your problem is going to bed too early.

dotcomlarry
Jul 24, 2004, 11:13 PM
This maybe a coincidence but roughly in that direction there is a railway line. That doesn't explain the crescent shape and the waning though. Very interesting stuff.

Well, the lights from the train were reflecting off a pocket of swamp gas caught in the atmosphere... Now, please, look into this little light.. *puts on sunglasses and presses button*

Wes
Jul 25, 2004, 02:59 AM
Maybe your problem is going to bed too early.

I hadn't slept the night before as I flew from Johannesburg -> London.

kaylie_kipe
Aug 1, 2004, 05:57 PM
My astronomy teacher once told me that there are explanations for everything we see in the sky...and the answer is never the cool things we imagine them to be (such as intelligent life forms). But I don't know why he's so sure about that.

themadchemist
Aug 1, 2004, 05:58 PM
My astronomy teacher once told me that there are explanations for everything we see in the sky...and the answer is never the cool things we imagine them to be (such as intelligent life forms). But I don't know why he's so sure about that.

If he's a high school teacher, then I'm skeptical of his vast knowledge of the heavens and beyond. :rolleyes:

Moreover, anyone who says "never" obviously is limited by his own inability to understand the scope of his knowledge. A true scientist would acknowledge that while the chance is slim, there does exist the possibility of, say, intelligent life from other planets contacting us. Such hyperbole tends not to be accurate and tends to reflect more on the speaker than on the topic. Especially in the case of a field so vast and so relatively incomplete as astronomy, it is unfathomable to write off anything as absolutely impossible. This sounds like the dismissive response of a person whose own parochial scope prompts him to discount all imagination and all possibility.

I'm a person who's as much for proof as anyone and have, on these forums, pounded people quite thoroughly for questioning Einstein without evidence, but I think this is a different animal. While I think it's silly to declare that relativity is false without proof, I also think it's silly to declare the existence of any number of phenomena within this universe as impossible without qualification.

Sorry, your teacher's comment just kind of touched a nerve.

Roger1
Aug 1, 2004, 06:20 PM
I wonder if it could have been a reflection of the moon on the cloud or something? Did it look like this? :D

Abstract
Aug 1, 2004, 06:44 PM

Because he's in on the conspiracy!

themadchemist
Aug 1, 2004, 06:44 PM
I wonder if it could have been a reflection of the moon on the cloud or something? Did it look like this? :D

oh, not this again! :eek: