PDA

View Full Version : Apple acts on iPod-alike ads

MacBytes
Jul 23, 2004, 08:57 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple acts on iPod-alike ads (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040723095734)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Savage Henry
Jul 23, 2004, 09:06 AM
Isn't Jobs himself supposed to have inspired the Mac design team by writing the famous Picasso quote on a chalkboard: "Good artists copy, great artists steal" ....

...or am I thinking of a different Steve Jobs ? ;)

the_mole1314
Jul 23, 2004, 09:11 AM
Isn't Jobs himself supposed to have inspired the Mac design team by writing the famous Picasso quote on a chalkboard: "Good artists copy, great artists steal" ....

...or am I thinking of a different Steve Jobs ? ;)
But did you actually see the posters? Yeah, they involve binge drinking and other things, plus it's Apple's image here.

iGav
Jul 23, 2004, 09:12 AM

Ian Anderson of The Designers Republic also once said... 'Talent borrows, genius steals' heheh

whooleytoo
Jul 23, 2004, 09:18 AM
There are TV adverts here too for a sports drink (don't recall the name) which are very similar (black silhouette playing sports on a plain blue background). I wonder how far they can take this concept of ownership/look 'n' feel?

Ari_0
Jul 23, 2004, 09:36 AM
I think they should sue them for defame and copyright infringement. Provided it has been copywritten :)

iMeowbot
Jul 23, 2004, 09:55 AM
But did you actually see the posters? Yeah, they involve binge drinking and other things, plus it's Apple's image here.
Sample here (http://prn.newscom.com/cgi-bin/pub/s?f=PRN/prnpub&p1=20040719/NYM164&xtag=PRN-prnphotos-39784&redir=preview&tr=1&row=1). This station claims that its target audience's age is 12 to 24 years :confused:

OhEsTen
Jul 23, 2004, 09:56 AM
I have also seen commercials for comedy centrals "red neck" something or other that mimic as well. Like the mole said, this is Apple's image here. These promo's put Apples spots in a negative light by these other things that are being advertised.

I also think its funny that it seems the only people with imagination work with Apple (or their ad agency). Remember when buymu$ic.com came out and was completely copying Apples iTunes ads? There is a fine line with mimicking something and actually making it look good (anyone seem scary movie 3?) and copying something and coming off like a complete idiot (does everyone else have those damn "got - something?" spinoffs around town?). I am so sick of seeing stupid matrix and got milk spoofs.

You can tell when people without imagination copy something, because they don't add anything to it. Has anyone seen the GE commercial that has the lassie dog doing matrix moves? That commercial had only one thing in mind - to mimic the matrix. It didn't add anything or create a new angle - it was probably just some big-wig old fart who was insistant that their new commercial feature a matrix 360 stop frame sequence. They think that if they copy something that everyone else thought was cool - those people will think that comapny is cool too. I just can't believe that an idea like that would be approved....

Anyway, go get 'em Apple. Why should Apple foot the bill for EVRYONE else's ad campaigns?

the_mole1314
Jul 23, 2004, 10:41 AM
I agree that generally not all parodies are bad, but when it involves morally questionable things (one ad had a guy petting the one eyed monster, if you know what I mean), sometimes illegal things (binge drinking), and other bad things (girl pole dancing).

Mudbug
Jul 23, 2004, 10:48 AM
here's a pdf containing all the offending images (was relayed to me in PRINTCRITIC email from AdAge.)

http://home.sport.rr.com/mrmudbug/mr/fuse-print040722.pdf

Savage Henry
Jul 23, 2004, 11:21 AM

So as long as you steal for righteous causes then everything is ok?

I'm not digging, because I think Apple is right to go through with it. I just kinda find it ironic

lem0nayde
Jul 23, 2004, 11:22 AM
I'm in New York and the posters are everywhere. I've been waiting for Apple to do something, wondering why they wouldn't take action.

They don't offend me for moral reasons, but as a designer I think it is pathetic to just copy another companies add campaign - even in the guise of parody. There is way too much of this garbage work going around (a lot of it taken from the iPod ads) - for heaven's sake, come up with an original image for your company! Why any company would want to brand themselves as lame ripoff artists, I can't understand.

The shock element of these posters is memorable, sure, but is anyone going to actually remember that it is an advertisement for Fuse Music Television - or will they remember it as the funny "guy masturbating" iPod poster.

Also - they've made it worse by possibly adding trademark infringement to copyright infringement by riffing on Apple's "Think Different" slogan - with their "Watch Different." I think Apple definitely has a legal case here based on brand confusion.

LimeiBook86
Jul 23, 2004, 12:14 PM
This is wrong and stupid. The posters are only funny to a 13 year old teenagers, which is probably their target audience by the way.

So this is the kind of stuff Fuse TV wants to encourage among their young viewers? Just great, I would like to hear how some parents would feel about these ads and the TV station. (which isn't all that "clean" itself)

Apple, set your guns to sue!!

bousozoku
Jul 23, 2004, 12:51 PM
Those are just nasty. Who says that censorship is always wrong?

Rooms To Go has neon-coloured, outlined dancers on a black background in one of their t.v. spots here. They're not offensive, of course, but they are derivative.

wowoah
Jul 23, 2004, 01:40 PM
Although the pictures are a bit risque, Apple doesn't seem to have much grounds for a lawsuit. They could sue on copyright infringement, but copyright laws allow for comical satire or parody, which this clearly falls under. They could sue for libel or defamation, but these ads aren't a direct attack on Apple, and if they could do that then Bush could sue for every negative political cartoon that and every episode of the Daily Show.

Just my 2 cents.

lem0nayde
Jul 23, 2004, 02:38 PM
But, it is parody used for advertisement. Plus they are advertising a music product and Apple is also advertising a music product. I don't know that you can claim parody when you are using a clearly derivative image for commercial purposes that could lead to brand confusion or degradation of the original creator's intent.

Fuse might be in trouble on this one. Likes I said before, it also makes it worse that they added "Watch Different" to their campaign. One could argue that they WANT to make people think they are linked to Apple Computer. As we all know, it's certainly an appealing company to ride on the back of. God knows Microsoft has saddle sores.

MetallicPenguin
Jul 23, 2004, 03:49 PM
About the Comedy central parody: I don't think that is nearly as bad, plus they only showed it on their channel (as far as I know), it wasn't music related, and it was only a short amount of time. Plus it was comedy central :D

Fender2112
Jul 23, 2004, 04:25 PM
I like the "pole dancer". The others are just stupid. :cool:

space2go
Jul 24, 2004, 06:18 AM
"..reports that Apple has received calls from outraged iPod users over the ads."

People are still seeing ads? :eek: