Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hookem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
PC guy does it again...Have a 12" PowerBook G4 that I could not get to boot with the OS X Version 10.2 to get a clean install...Tried "mac-boot" and anything else I could find on the net.

Then I got really stupid...I removed the hard drive...Connected it to my PC via a Vantec USB adapter and formatted the disk to exFat32 thinking if there was not an OS on the HD that it would have to boot off of my OS X disk (retail purchased from Fry's in perfect conditon) Now when I try to boot it just flash's back and forth from a "?" mark with a icon that looks like two faces.

So back to the net...Found information on Open Firm Ware to try and find a way to change the boot device.

Open Firm Ware Information:

Apple PowerBook6, 1 4.5.5f4

I open the firmware and type "printenv" and the Boot Device is listed as "hd:,\\:tbxi

Is there a command line prompt I can change to make the PowerBook G4 boot off of my OS X disk???

:apple:

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Looks to me like the original 12" PBG4 shipped with OS X 10.2.3. If you're trying to boot from a retail disc it's likely 10.2.0 and won't work. Must use the restore discs that came with the machine or a newer OS X. Make sure you're holding down 'c' to boot from the disc (it may take a while).

But 10.2 is so old you shouldn't even bother - go with 10.4 or 10.5 instead.

Hookem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Looks to me like the original 12" PBG4 shipped with OS X 10.2.3. If you're trying to boot from a retail disc it's likely 10.2.0 and won't work. Must use the restore discs that came with the machine or a newer OS X. Make sure you're holding down 'c' to boot from the disc (it may take a while).

But 10.2 is so old you shouldn't even bother - go with 10.4 or 10.5 instead.

Thank you for the reply apfhex.

I turned the machine off and re-booted holding the "C" key down...Same deal as with "mac-boot"...It opens a grey screened window that has a folder icon with a blue half face and white profile face inside the folder flashing back and forth from a question mark...The OSX 10.2 disk spins up then down...Over and over...But will not boot from the disk.

I do not have the original disk so that option is out.

I did however go and buy a retail version of OS X Snow Leopard.

Before I took the hard drive out and formatted it in my PC it would tell me that Snow Leopard would not work...Cannot remeber exactly what the prompt told me.

Just tried the Snow Leopard and the disk is not spinning up just the flashing folder hitting "mac-boot" for the firmware prompt.

I would replace the hard drive but I have a feeling I will have the same problem...The only difference being that the drive will have nothing but zero's on it versus being formatted by Windows 7 as "exFAT"

Thank you again for your help.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

I did however go and buy a retail version of OS X Snow Leopard.

Before I took the hard drive out and formatted it in my PC it would tell me that Snow Leopard would not work...Cannot remeber exactly what the prompt told me.

Just tried the Snow Leopard and the disk is not spinning up just the flashing folder hitting "mac-boot" for the firmware prompt.

Snow Leopard (10.6) will not work on that PowerBook, as the G4 processor/CPU is made by IBM using the PPC architecture, and Snow Leopard does not support any Macs with those PPC CPUs anymore. 10.6 needs at least an Intel CPU, which are only available in Macs since January 2006.

If it's a PowerBook G4, that came with 10.2.3 or something, it must be also to slow for running Leopard (10.5) efficiently, so either Tiger (10.4) or Panther (10.3) are better options for putting it on that old machine. eBay might have some good offers.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Leopard was slow on my 1.33GHz PowerBook. I run Tiger on mine. Tiger and 1GB RAM makes for a decent Internet machine.

Hookem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Snow Leopard (10.6) will not work on that PowerBook, as the G4 processor/CPU is made by IBM using the PPC architecture, and Snow Leopard does not support any Macs with those PPC CPUs anymore. 10.6 needs at least an Intel CPU, which are only available in Macs since January 2006.

If it's a PowerBook G4, that came with 10.2.3 or something, it must be also to slow for running Leopard (10.5) efficiently, so either Tiger (10.4) or Panther (10.3) are better options for putting it on that old machine. eBay might have some good offers.

Yes spinnerlys...I just looked on wiki and it states that Snow Leopard will only work on Intel based machines.

I did purchase a 1gig module of Kingston Ram for the PowerBook along with Snow Leopard as upgrades.

So with that machine 12" PowerBook G4 800mhz (I think) what would you recommend me getting Tiger or Panther ???

Well I just built myself a new Intel based machine...Asus P5Q PRO Turbo with a Intel Q9550, 8 gig's of G.Skill ram, 4 WD 640gig Black HD's and a XFX ATI 4890 video card.

Looks like the RAID-0 array is going to be removed and I will attempt the HackinTosh routine since I have already purchased Snow Leopard.

Do you see any problems with me loading Snow Leopard on that machine ???

The OS was only 25.00 dollars at Fry's and I might as well do something with it.

Thank you for the reply.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Yes spinnerlys...I just looked on wiki and it states that Snow Leopard will only work on Intel based machines.

I did purchase a 1gig module of Kingston Ram for the PowerBook along with Snow Leopard as upgrades.

So with that machine 12" PowerBook G4 800mhz (I think) what would you recommend me getting Tiger or Panther ???

Well I just built myself a new Intel based machine...Asus P5Q PRO Turbo with a Intel Q9550, 8 gig's of G.Skill ram, 4 WD 640gig Black HD's and a XFX ATI 4890 video card.

Looks like the RAID-0 array is going to be removed and I will attempt the HackinTosh routine since I have already purchased Snow Leopard.

Do you see any problems with me loading Snow Leopard on that machine ???

The OS was only 25.00 dollars at Fry's and I might as well do something with it.

Thank you for the reply.

I would recommend Tiger (10.4) for running it on that PowerBook. I had 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 running on an iBook G4 with 1GHz and 1.25GB RAM and Tiger was running more than adequate on it. And Tiger has at least Spotlight in it, which Panther has not, and which I would miss dearly.

Your question regarding the Hackintosh route I cannot answer, but there are several threads about this and even a really long one. Take a look at MRoogle to find it.

Hookem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
I would recommend Tiger (10.4) for running it on that PowerBook. I had 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 running on an iBook G4 with 1GHz and 1.25GB RAM and Tiger was running more than adequate on it. And Tiger has at least Spotlight in it, which Panther has not, and which I would miss dearly.

Your question regarding the Hackintosh route I cannot answer, but there are several threads about this and even a really long one. Take a look at MRoogle to find it.

Is this what I am looking for ???http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-OS-X-Tiger-10-4-10-Full-Install-Bundle-DVD_W0QQitemZ230386722289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Software?hash=item35a41e65f1

Thanks again for the help guys !!!!!!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

It seems that the product you linked to is machine specific, meaning it can only be used with certain machines, and your older PB will not likely be on the list.

The first article here says to be working on any Mac, but only on machines from 867MHz upwards.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Leopard isn't even officially supported on the 800mhz iBook G4, an 867mhz processor is recommended ;).

Tiger will be your best bet 10.4. The disc you want will be black as the grey discs are machine specific unless you find PB 10.4 discs but usually the Retail will be cheaper.

A hard drive won't format properly in your PC computer, it will have to be formatted APM Apple Partition Map in order for the Powerbook to boot up.

Hookem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
The first 12" PBG4 as the OP has came in 867MHz so Leopard would run, but I agree Tiger (from a retail disc) might be the best option.

Since I am no longer able to see spec's after formatting the hard drive is there a way I can check in the firmware what speed processor is there.

I know it was 800 atleast...But it seems it was more than 800.

Thanks again for you guys helping me out.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The first 12" PBG4 as the OP has came in 867MHz so Leopard would run, but I agree Tiger (from a retail disc) might be the best option.

Oops my bad :eek: He mentioned 800 and I immediately thought of an iBook an I'm even in the PB forums lol don't know what I was thinking.

10.5 might be cutting even though it meets the bare minimum requirements, Tiger will be your best bet. I'd give you my PB discs but they are 10.3.5, Panther might be OK but Tiger is so much better and more compatible with software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.