PDA

View Full Version : Can Android Market Catch Up to the App Store?

MacBytes
Oct 28, 2009, 03:44 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Can Android Market Catch Up to the App Store? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20091028164402)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

NJMetsHero
Oct 28, 2009, 03:54 PM
Eventually it gets to the point where a lot of apps is a lot of apps. It's not like there's nothing in the Android marketplace, there are 10,000 apps. On my iPod Touch, I use about 10 applications a day at best.

MTI
Oct 28, 2009, 05:00 PM
The sheer number of apps in a store is a nice marketing tool, but serioiusly, how many of those are "junkware?" If number of apps for a specific platform were a critical criteria . . nobody should be buying Macs without having a Windows partition, right?

There are "apps" and then there are "killer apps" . . . from the IBM PC days, Lotus 1-2-3 was a "killer app" and drove the popularity of the PC in business markets; Adobe Pagemaker was a "killer app" for the Mac OS

On the iTunes store, while there may be lots of apps, ask yourself, which ones are "killer apps."

Full of Win
Oct 28, 2009, 06:44 PM
Can it catch up? Yep.

Android has the advantage of Windows, in that manufactures can explore hardware choices and therefore increase market share. When market share goes up, so does the number of apps ready to make money.

Unprocessed1
Oct 28, 2009, 08:13 PM
I think the Verizon-Android partnership will increase the app store significantly. They have 10,00 right now, I'd expect WAY more than that by next year. Although they may ever catch up, they'll start closing the current gigantic gap starting very soon.

MadMacxxx
Oct 28, 2009, 09:29 PM
And don't they have the advantage of open development, as in...basically what the jail-broken world is to iPhone users. So yea, I'd expect them to catch up pretty quick!

MadMacxxx
Oct 28, 2009, 09:31 PM
The sheer number of apps in a store is a nice marketing tool, but serioiusly, how many of those are "junkware?" If number of apps for a specific platform were a critical criteria . . nobody should be buying Macs without having a Windows partition, right?

There are "apps" and then there are "killer apps" . . . from the IBM PC days, Lotus 1-2-3 was a "killer app" and drove the popularity of the PC in business markets; Adobe Pagemaker was a "killer app" for the Mac OS

On the iTunes store, while there may be lots of apps, ask yourself, which ones are "killer apps."
So true, I totally agree....who cares about quantity if the theres no quality in the vast majority of them, as in...20 apps to do the same thing with only about 3 of them truly worth of being in the app store based on UI and performance. I cant believe that the number of apps has become a selling point, rather than the quality. So what if theres 100k apps in the Apple app store?

hesdeadjim
Oct 29, 2009, 11:41 AM
So true, I totally agree....who cares about quantity if the theres no quality in the vast majority of them, as in...20 apps to do the same thing with only about 3 of them truly worth of being in the app store based on UI and performance. I cant believe that the number of apps has become a selling point, rather than the quality. So what if theres 100k apps in the Apple app store?

The number of apps markets to the iPhone's strength: there really is an app for everything. Remember, most of the market has never owned a smartphone and are used to the stock, poorly written apps available on their mobile. It markets to people by stating, "There are a 100k apps. 1% may be good, but my needs must be satiated in 1k good apps."

I don't think that the Apple App Store is sustainable. Basically, too few people are making significant money. I suspect a crash, consolidation, and eventual price increase. People will choose apps more wisely leading to the formation of marker leaders. Thus, there will be an app that will define a certain category, i.e. Word or Photoshop. At that point, the number of apps will become insignificant.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 29, 2009, 11:46 AM
The number of apps markets to the iPhone's strength: there really is an app for everything. Remember, most of the market has never owned a smartphone and are used to the stock, poorly written apps available on their mobile. It markets to people by stating, "There are a 100k apps. 1% may be good, but my needs must be satiated in 1k good apps."

I don't think that the Apple App Store is sustainable. Basically, too few people are making significant money. I suspect a crash, consolidation, and eventual price increase. People will choose apps more wisely leading to the formation of marker leaders. Thus, there will be an app that will define a certain category, i.e. Word or Photoshop. At that point, the number of apps will become insignificant.

Why yes it is a selling point. Lets face it even you agree most of the apps are crap and most of the work all the iPhone devs put out is crap and a waste of space.

Something that I have noticed is the longer the Apps store is out the Crap to good ratio keeps getting worse. At the beginning the early apps you had a lot more good apps compared to crap apps.

Seems to be that way with most of the Apps stores out there of any type. At first good apps but the longer and older it becomes the more crap to good starts coming up.

hesdeadjim
Oct 29, 2009, 12:20 PM
Why yes it is a selling point. Lets face it even you agree most of the apps are crap and most of the work all the iPhone devs put out is crap and a waste of space.

Something that I have noticed is the longer the Apps store is out the Crap to good ratio keeps getting worse. At the beginning the early apps you had a lot more good apps compared to crap apps.

Seems to be that way with most of the Apps stores out there of any type. At first good apps but the longer and older it becomes the more crap to good starts coming up.

I was just examining why it's a marketing ploy. I never said it was good or bad, just successful. In fact, the poor/good app ratio is part of the reason I predict a crash.

The big difference with the app store is that it's the 1st one to become mainstream. Honestly, I think Apple picked the right moment and executed it superbly. I think the store has issues and definite growing pains, but now competitors need an App store to remain competitive. Nevertheless, I think back to the crash of the video game market in the early 80's and I see a similar trajectory with the App stores. As someone said, the "killer apps" will come to define success and breed future success for a particular platform. If Android or Symbian can become popular across multiple phones, I do see a diminishing of Apple's role in smartphones.

dmelgar
Oct 29, 2009, 09:18 PM
As a developer, I think the biggest issue with the AppStore has been the lack of a trial period. People won't spend serious money on an app they can't try first unless its big name and very well known. No trial drives prices down. For $1, what the heck, many consumers will try and app. But $10, you want to try it first.

The low prices make it very hard for a developer to make a profit developing apps for the iPhone. If Android is able to sell higher priced apps, developers will flock over there following the money trail.

Apple has no incentive to support a trial period. They like having 100,000 apps at $1 or less. More marketing for iPhones. They make their money on iPhones.

inkswamp
Oct 29, 2009, 10:27 PM
Eventually it gets to the point where a lot of apps is a lot of apps. It's not like there's nothing in the Android marketplace, there are 10,000 apps. On my iPod Touch, I use about 10 applications a day at best.

That's the same arguments that were made long ago about Mac and Windows. And we all saw how that turned out.

I'm not sure your logic makes sense to me. Because you only use 10 apps in the App Store, the rest is overkill and therefore meaningless?

Let's have a thought experiment. We'll bring in 100 people who work in different industries and ask them to find 10 apps that would make their workday a little easier. Those people are going to search both the App Store and the Android Marketplace. Which of those two stores would you bet is going to be able to cater to more people?

The point is, the more apps you have, the more likely you are to be able to cater to particular interests and esoteric needs of a given user or group. And like I said, if you don't believe that has value, think back to the early 90s Mac and PC. You could argue that the Windows platform had an overkill of apps and the Mac had just enough.

cwt1nospam
Nov 1, 2009, 08:35 PM
Quality is great. Quantity is nice. Neither will help the competition against the iPhone, because the one thing that developers whine about is the one thing that will give the iPhone a huge advantage in the market when a competitor has quantity, quality, or even both: restrictions on developers. The last thing any cell phone user wants to do is run A/V software on their phone, and you can be sure that an "open" system like Android will run into malware problems if it becomes successful.