Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
More importantly, they'll be able to drink their own urine.
Think of the possibilities!

Politically Incorrect Moment: The INS should be alerted about this new development.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Even better, they can use the filtered liqued, to rehydrate food rations, or something like that.

Eat at Joes!​
BYO urine​

Ok, now I feel sick.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
wdlove said:
This new prokect will ligthn the soliers load and thereby safety. Now thery will be wasting nothjing.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13163609,00.html

"The HydroPack is a new portable osmosis bag adopted by the U.S. military from commercially developed technology. The device can produce one liter of purified water from any water source except salt water, no matter how contaminated. "

http://www.stripesonline.com/article.asp?section=104&article=22022&archive=true

Been visiting the drunk thread lately, wd? ;) just kidding, just kidding

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
musicpyrite said:
yay!!!

ive always wanted to drink my own urine!
:D
Nothing stopping you...

attachment.php

But the produce did say...
"The HydroPack is a new portable osmosis bag adopted by the U.S. military from commercially developed technology. The device can produce one liter of purified water from any water source except salt water, no matter how contaminated. "

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
themadchemist said:
Been visiting the drunk thread lately, wd? ;) just kidding, just kidding

I do miss that thread so and eyelikeart.

With our increase need for water this is an important development. Will help to decrease what has to be carried.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
wdlove said:
I do miss that thread so and eyelikeart.

With our increase need for water this is an important development. Will help to decrease what has to be carried.

I think it's definitely important, especially with respect to the fact that we seem to be always sending our troops into dry, hot climates.

Perhaps if we just sent them to places with better weather...I hear North Korea is lovely this time of year. :eek:

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I dunno about my own urine, but this little guy was developed with the military in mind, but I'm getting one for backpacking. Super-light, and it can filter even chem-bio weapons toxins from the water if you let it sit for a few hours. If the water isn't highly contaminated (ie normal river/stream water) it's clean enough to drink in about 30-60 minutes with no pumping required, and no nasty-tasting chemicals. I'll probably be getting one in the near future to have around for emergencies and for next summer's trekking trips.

I've also heard that Camelbak has a contract to develop an in-line filter that will allow soldiers to fill their bladder (their Camelbak bladder, not the one you were thinking of!) with contaminated water and it will be filtered to drinkable level as it passes through the in-line filter on the way to their mouth.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
ThomasJefferson said:
Lets see some solidarity here. If its good enough for the troops, shouldn't it be good enough for the Commander-in-Chief?

No, only Evian for him.

on a side note, I wonder if they'll use this device to fix the water problem in Iraq. You know, use it to make sewage water "drinkable" and hand that out to the Iraqis. :rolleyes:

Why am I so skeptical today?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
themadchemist said:
No, only Evian for him.

on a side note, I wonder if they'll use this device to fix the water problem in Iraq. You know, use it to make sewage water "drinkable" and hand that out to the Iraqis. :rolleyes:

Why am I so skeptical today?

That is my hope that this procedure will be used in areas of great need around the world. Make it work on a massive scale. Africa and the Middle East are ones being in great need. There is already so much dirty contaminated unusable water.

acdninjapan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
The Beaches Tokyo Japan
themadchemist said:
I think it's definitely important, especially with respect to the fact that we seem to be always sending our troops into dry, hot climates.

Perhaps if we just sent them to places with better weather...I hear North Korea is lovely this time of year. :eek:

YES! And let's hear it for the man who wants to step on the 'Great Leader'!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.