Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojasary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Has anyone noticed the insane tension between Apple and Google recently? Of course I know they have a lot of competing products now (can you say Androit 2.0?) but I think if it's one company that can easily take down Apple, its Google. Apple has been acting like a bratty little girl when it comes to Google's apps (voice, latitude) and it bothers me that they are fighting with Google, the company that could completely knock out Apple. It looks like Google is now retaliating, leaving iTunes out of their music service. Don't you think they should be sucking up to Google to get all of their new tech (turn-by-turn GPS) right off the bat? This is starting to look BAD!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Jeez. Pure speculation fail.

Apple
Market cap 173.12B

Google
Market cap 171.04B

No one is going to knock out anyone at this time.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Jeez. Pure speculation fail.

Apple
Market cap 173.12B

Google
Market cap 171.04B

No one is going to knock out anyone at this time.

Agreed, at this time they are effectively equals. And even if Google were bigger, you think this would stop Steve Jobs? Think about how they love to pick a fight with Microsoft. This is good publicity for both companies, nothing more.

uuaschbaer

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Ugh, Google has never seen a colour chart. So long as they keep picking the colours they use at random, which is probably how their logo is constructed, they have a different customer base than Apple.

Edit: 'They', again, being people at Google picking colours, not the government.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
They're not strictly competitors anyways, since Apple's business is hardware and Google's is software. Also, I don't think Apple is the one that wanted to block any Google apps, it was ATT. This has already been discussed at length. ATT doesn't want people making free calls from their iPhone.

Nate

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
up to my post this whole thread is one big fail....

due to incorrect statements
non-researched opinions stated as fact
absurd generalizations

except for the 2nd post haha

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
up to my post this whole thread is one big fail....

due to incorrect statements
non-researched opinions stated as fact
absurd generalizations

Its a discussion.;)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-29 at 16.40.52.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-29 at 16.40.52.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 601

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Has anyone noticed the insane tension between Apple and Google recently? ...
Insane tension? Apple and Microsoft have had worse arguments about who picks up the check for lunch. You started this thread based a false premise that you then tried to blow all out of proportion. You ignore the fact that Google's Chrome browser is based on Apple's opensource WebKit. Android is a mobile phone OS, not a mobile phone. In this respect, it competes with Microsoft's Windows Mobile, not any particular Apple product. I am absolutely baffled how you can even consider that Apple needs Google's help with GPS. Three consumer companies in this country do GPS as their bread and butter--Garmin, Magellan, and TomTom. Other companies including Apple do it as a sideline.

The bottomline, Chicken Little, is that the sky is not falling. And besides, the King is on travel.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
They're not strictly competitors anyways, since Apple's business is hardware and Google's is software.

Google is not a software company. They’re an advertising sales company. That’s their core business model. Everything they offer from Android to G-mail to Google Voice to Search exists to make advertising revenue off of.

I read an interesting article about “GOOG-411” the other day where the author pats Google on the back for offering such a free service (when telecoms are charging ridiculous pricing for it). The author failed to realize that GOOG-411 exists solely to improve Google’s speech recognition technology (which they’ll likely use in their other products to improve advertising).

So many people (particularly in tech journalism) have this love affair with Google and fail to realize their core mission.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Indeed. Google may or may not be evil, but they are definitely not philanthropic. Everything they do is motivated by what they can make in return (ad revenue). They are not out to change the world and make it a better place, although that may be a nice side effect of how they try to run their business.

For example, before Google, there were free, limited email services and then there were paid ones. Accounts were limited to 10, 50, 100 megs of email space, and if you exceeded that, you were expected to pay a yearly fee to maintain your space. Then came Gmail with its unprecedented 1000 megs "and growing". And it was all free! Of course everyone flocked to them (and the competitors like Yahoo and Hotmail and, yes, .Mac/MobileMe, started increasing their space too). Did Google do this because they were tired of the big, bad corporations taking advantage of poor customers? No, this was designed to get masses to switch over, and all that storage space means we never delete our emails, which makes it all the better to data mine from to show targeted advertising. There wasn't even any way to delete emails in the first iteration of Gmail.

It's beginning to get scary though. Google knows every site I browse (Chrome), my search habits (of course), what I email (Gmail), what I write (Documents), who my friends are (GTalk), what videos I watch (YouTube), what I take photos of (Picasa), my daily schedule (Calendar), where I live and where I want to go (Maps), what I blog (Blogger), what I buy, including my address and credit card details (Checkout)...

With all that information at their disposal, I had better hope that showing me ads is all that they're interested in doing!

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
I hope they reconcile their differences. I like Apple and I like Google. I have been using Google for like 5 years now. Apple for 2 months, haha, but that is besides the point. What was my point? OH yah.. I wanna tell em'..
" Guys, don't hate, reconciliate!@#$" LoL.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
LOL, there were close partners till the feds told them to break up a few weeks ago. They aren't fierce competitors by any means, as far as corporations go their relationship is great.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I don't want to get into an Apple v Google debate (they are two very different companies with very different objectives) so I thought a bit before replying to this.

I think a more reasonable question would be (if we are going to compare) – does Google realise who they are dealing with in Apple?

Apple has:
More experience of building platforms
More experience of building software
More experience of building hardware
More experience of the tech industry
More experience of the marketing to consumers
A small but still significant retail presence
A (slightly) higher market cap
More Cash

Not to mention that more people use iPhone OS than the whole Android platform. More people use Safari than Chrome. More people currently use and develop for Mac OS X than the Chrome OS (because Google haven't delivered Chrome OS).

It's funny how the OP makes the assumption that Google is better at delivery than Apple when actually a pretty good case can be made for exact opposite being true.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I just wanted to clarify my above comment. I don’t think Google is evil by any means. I’m just not naive enough to think they offer their services for free to the end-user out of the goodness of their heart. Like every corporation, Google likes to make money too.

By the way, Google’s CEO and former Apple board member Eric Schmidt was in the audience at the latest Apple event. So, it’s not like their partnership is in trouble or that Schmidt and Jobs will quit doing deals together.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I think a more reasonable question would be (if we are going to compare) – does Google realise who they are dealing with in Apple?

This is my thought as well ... Apple has a boatload of money in the bank, and it could well turn its attention to search, snatching business away from Google (and Bing for the twofer).

Google is entrenched but as it ages, the limitations of its technology are starting to show. Ever try to get real news when a big event is breaking? You'll get 100,000 hits and the top 75,000 are crap. News organizations are plenty PO'd at how Google steals business. Apple (or anyone actually) could create one of the cornerstone of a new search business with exclusive contracts with larger news outlets.

And Apple could leverage its position with MobileMe, iPhone and Safari to make its own search engine the default. Not only that, its fan base would use it just to see the Apple logo.

Any one of these could be insignificant. Added up, they could pose a threat. I can envision Justin Long and John Hodgson: "I'm a Mac, and I'm a Google."

Of course, the big question is why isn't Jerry Seinfeld in the picture saying, "I'm a Bing."

mt

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Apple's smart enough to know where its strengths lie and not spend billions chasing after areas where they don't.

When Apple tried to do search we got Sherlock, then we got iReview.

I doubt they'll go after search. MobileMe and iWork.com show they are still lacking a little in online services. I mean these things haven't had notable updates for ages.

They must be building they're data centre for some project though.

direzze

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
I think this is based on your perception of how the two companies are portrayed in the media. Their actions might seem vindictive sometimes, but these are large corporations who know that competition is good. Also, you don't know what goes on behind closed doors; for all we know the two could be working together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.