Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

done84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Hello.
I have a 1st gen Macbook13 with Windows Xp Pro service pack 3 Installed.
Everything works like its soposed with the exception of one big problem:

Every time i unplug a USB external HD wile its copying/moving files or even just reading (This only happens because of a power failiure, by mistake or by a windows crash) Windows stops reconizing that especific HD, and just says "USB device not reconized".

This only happens in Windows, if i reboot in Mac OS it reconizes the drive and acts normally.
I even tryed formating the windows partition and reinstalling windows but that did not solve the problem.
I tryed formating the "damaged" HDs in Mac OS but that didnt help either..
The only solution i found is to switch the HDs enclosures then it works what i already did a bunch of times and cant do anymore.

Can someone help please? All my work is in external HD's!!:mad:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Unplugging an external HD while it's in use is an excellent way to trash the data. Basic safe principles say you should use the windows dismount or unplug or whatever they call it so that the drive is safe to dismount. If you simply go around pulling the plug while the drive is in use you're going to mess it up sooner or later. Power failures are the same ilk, if not worse. If your data is that important, buy a UPS. The samething happens to USB flash drives - pull them while they are in use and you trash it. It's not a windows problem - windows can't prevent you from unplugging a drive that's in use.

done84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Thanks for the tips but im perfectly aware that not using safe-remove is not SAFE.
As i said sometimes you have no choice, even if i had a UPS if windows crashes i still have to turn off the computer to reboot.
If Mac OS reconizes the external HDs and reads them perfectly, so should windows.
On other computers (Not Mac with bootcamp) i had this happen many times and never had this problem. If it happens only once BLAM! there goes the HD in windows.

I think it may damage the Master File Table because i got this error "Delayed write to G:\$Mft failed" when i rebooted.

The weird part is that formating the drive doesent help but switching enclosures does:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.