PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Heats a lot

abhijit_dixit
Jul 23, 2004, 02:10 PM
This is a real newbie question, but i couldn't find a similar thread.

I recently switched from Windows to a PB 15 with SuperDrive. I've noticed that the powerbook gets hot quite a bit. It gets to a level where I defintely can't use it as a "lap"-top for a long period of time. Is this normal or is something wrong with my machine ?

-------------
PB 15 1.5 Ghz 512 MB 80 GB

jxyama
Jul 23, 2004, 02:25 PM
it's been known to happen... so i don't think it's abnormal.

apple decided to go for the look/design and also, instead of insulating the heat inside the computer to be spit out by the fan, use the entire computer casing as a large heat sink by making it out of aluminum... so it's not so much that PBs are hotter than other laptops, it's just that you can actually feel the heat...

Finiksa
Jul 23, 2004, 02:33 PM
It gets to a level where I defintely can't use it as a "lap"-top for a long period of time.

Well Apple don't sell laptops but instead notebooks for a reason, which you've just worked out.

matthew24
Jul 23, 2004, 03:00 PM
I agree that the Powerbook can get quite warm, but it won't get extreem hot, don't take any risks if it gets too hot you should consult your retailer.

JzzTrump22
Jul 23, 2004, 03:38 PM
It's normal for it to get to the point where it difficult to keep on your lap. If you keep it on your lap be sure to put a blanket on your lap first. If your using it as a desktop replacement try and prop the back of it up a little to keep the air flowing.

manosira
Jul 23, 2004, 03:38 PM
I have both pc and mac labtops and they all heat up. This is a common thing. The Ti PB seems to heat up a little bit more on the wrist part, but I think they fixed that on the new AL models. Anways I heard a story about how a guy had a pc notebook on his lap and he burnt his little friend down there. So word of advice, if it starts to feel warm get it off your lap and use one of those notebook lap holders.

KingSleaze
Jul 23, 2004, 04:29 PM
It's normal for it to get to the point where it difficult to keep on your lap. If you keep it on your lap be sure to put a blanket on your lap first. If your using it as a desktop replacement try and prop the back of it up a little to keep the air flowing.

The manual that comes with a powerbook says not to place it on a soft surface. Doing so, runs the risk of blocking the heat removal capabilities. Also, since a blanket is soft, it would tend to insulate and keep the heat in. This is a bad idea for your powerbook.
As has been noted in other threads, keeping it directly on your lap for extended periods of time (even through clothes) can result in skin damage and burns. If you must use it in your lap, use a hard surface to allow airflow to remove heat and protect you. There are several small folding surfaces available.

Macmaniac
Jul 23, 2004, 07:46 PM
A good idea is to always keep airflow under the Powerbook. Prop the end by the screen up so there is space under it for air to flow, that keeps it from getting too hot.

m.r.m.
Jul 24, 2004, 04:53 AM
there are many laptop stands available, but a large book does the job as well.

BornAgainMac
Jul 24, 2004, 06:59 AM

Don't place it on a blanket. I know of 2 people that burned out their PC laptop's motherboard for doing that. It will overheat the laptop (mac or pc). As an experiment, try placing your laptop on your bed and wait for about 10 minutes. Notice the heat when you feel it after 10 minutes. Next place the laptop on a table and wait another 10 minutes. Notice that it feels cool again.

hello world
Jul 24, 2004, 07:39 AM
Don't place it on a blanket. I know of 2 people that burned out their PC laptop's motherboard for doing that.

Glad I read this thread.

When I'm on the go, I often put my PB on top of my sleeve, rather than put that pristine aluminum case on some grimy surface. Looks like I'll have to just suck it up and put it down.

bubbamac
Jul 24, 2004, 08:15 AM
Yep, don't put it on a blanket, or any cloth. I use a Targus CoolPad, which may or may not help keep my 15" TiBook cool, but it does keep my lap cooler when it's there, and makes it easier to use on a desk. Also, it's thin, simple, durable, and easy to pack.

And yes, it does get hot. Once in a while, I will take a 20 or 30 minute break, if I'm doing some processor intensive tasks, to let the TiBook cool off.

question fear
Jul 24, 2004, 08:52 AM
Yep, don't put it on a blanket, or any cloth. I use a Targus CoolPad, which may or may not help keep my 15" TiBook cool, but it does keep my lap cooler when it's there, and makes it easier to use on a desk. Also, it's thin, simple, durable, and easy to pack.

And yes, it does get hot. Once in a while, I will take a 20 or 30 minute break, if I'm doing some processor intensive tasks, to let the TiBook cool off.

the coolpad should help, it functions to help keep airflow under the computer even when its in use, which will make a difference.
if you really really want to cool the computer down you can get a coolpad type pad with a built in usb powered fan. that'll cool it down.

7on
Jul 24, 2004, 03:26 PM
My tibook's wrist spots are usually always cool. What does get hot is the spot underneath under the processor. Titanium doesn't conduct the heat so it gets pretty hot under there.

abhijit_dixit
Jul 26, 2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks a lot for the help folks. I was probably going to do the wrong thing (use a blanket), but I'll be more careful now.

JFreak
Jul 26, 2004, 12:48 AM
Glad I read this thread.

When I'm on the go, I often put my PB on top of my sleeve, rather than put that pristine aluminum case on some grimy surface. Looks like I'll have to just suck it up and put it down.

no reason to use sleeves - aluminum is very easy to clean :)

Stelliform
Jul 26, 2004, 01:25 AM
When I use my Titanium Powerbook as a laptop, I usually just put the edges of the notebook on my legs. The real hot spot is a few inches in so I avoid it that way. Also, since there is nothing underneath the laptop it probably cools better.

(By the way I run SETI on my powerbook, and even though the fan runs almost continuously I haven't had any hardware problems in the year and a half that I have had my powerbook.)