PDA

View Full Version : New 2GHZ G5 /Studio display crt 17" problem

PRØBE
Jul 23, 2004, 03:02 PM
AAAARGH!

So near yet so far :/
Just bought a second hand (but still under guarantee) 2ghz G5. I saw it working and did the hardware test on the DVD before buying. When I got it home and hooked it up to my trusty 17" Apple studio display CRT (graphite)
and hit the power button, the G5 started up (light came on, fans started up, made the chime sound etc) but my monitor remained unimpressed. It wouldn't start up and the green "on" light remained, well...off.

I cheked the connections on the DVI to VGA adapter, rebooted several times, reset the PRAM, and took a peek at the video card (couldn't see much it's dark in there but it felt firmly locked in place). It's running X.3.4 I think.

None of this worked and now I'm stumped.
Just one more thing, the monitor used to get it's power from being plugged into the back of my old G4 tower. There's nowhere on the back of the G5 to plug in the power cable. Am I correct in assuming then that it will now draw all it's power through the 1 cable connected to the video card?
(I hope that's not too stupid a question)

Any advice guys?

Sun Baked
Jul 23, 2004, 03:20 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=32473

If it is the ADC Studio display, it'll get power from the video card.

But you do not have an ADC monitor.

If it's a VGA monitor with a seperate power cable, you need to plug it into the wall.

Yes, there were pass throughs that allowed people to plug a monitor power cable into the power supply on the back of the machine.

But the alternative connection is a wall outlet.

---

So you are at number 0, plug the monitor into a working power outlet.

But if you have one of the power cables that you can plug one end into the other (a male and a female) you'll need to find a power cable that can plug into the wall.

LeeTom
Jul 23, 2004, 03:23 PM
AAAARGH!
Just one more thing, the monitor used to get it's power from being plugged into the back of my old G4 tower. There's nowhere on the back of the G5 to plug in the power cable. Am I correct in assuming then that it will now draw all it's power through the 1 cable connected to the video card?
(I hope that's not too stupid a question)

Any advice guys?

Bingo... if your monitor isn't plugged into the wall for power, that's the reason it's not working.

Lee Tom

PRØBE
Jul 23, 2004, 03:24 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=32473

If it is the ADC Studio display, it'll get power from the video card.

But you do not have an ADC monitor.

If it's a VGA monitor with a seperate power cable, you need to plug it into the wall.

Yes, there were pass throughs that allowed people to plug a monitor power cable into the power supply on the back of the machine.

But the alternative connection is a wall outlet.

---

So you are at number 0, plug the monitor into a working power outlet.

Really? I didn't know it had another cable with it. The one that connects to the G4 isn't the type that fits into a wall socket. I'll go hunt around and see if there's another cable about somewhere. Thanks loads. Damn I'm a tech' retard.

Sun Baked
Jul 23, 2004, 03:27 PM
Really? I didn't know it had another cable with it. The one that connects to the G4 isn't the type that fits into a wall socket. I'll go hunt around and see if there's another cable about somewhere. Thanks loads. Damn I'm a tech' retard.I thought two cables came with the monitor (it's been awhile), but it is a standard type of cable.

You should be able to find one, buy one, or get a replacement power cable off another piece of equipment in the house.

PRØBE
Jul 23, 2004, 03:43 PM
Really? I didn't know it had another cable with it. The one that connects to the G4 isn't the type that fits into a wall socket. I'll go hunt around and see if there's another cable about somewhere. Thanks loads. Damn I'm a tech' retard.

Darn, checked everywhere and it seems the monitor only came with the one power cable that hooked up to the G4. Do u know if I can buy a wall socket power cable for this monitor? Does anyone have one?

Thanks

Sun Baked
Jul 23, 2004, 04:52 PM
Darn, checked everywhere and it seems the monitor only came with the one power cable that hooked up to the G4. Do u know if I can buy a wall socket power cable for this monitor? Does anyone have one?

ThanksIt's a standard cable for printers, faxes, monitors, an old computer, etc.

You probably have one sitting around your house, or can buy one quite easy.

And the G4 you keep talking about has a power cord that you should be able to use on your monitor. ;)

Otherwise search for 'AC Power Replacement Cable'

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=0&Ntt=AC%20Power%20Replacement%20Cable&Ntk=All&Nty=1&D=AC%20Power%20Replacement%20Cable

Macmaniac
Jul 23, 2004, 07:35 PM
All you need is a cable that is identical to your G5's power cable, all computers and monitors use this kind of cable, you should be able to find one for pretty cheap.