PDA

View Full Version : 'NBA League Pass Mobile' Brings Live NBA Basketball to iPhone

MacRumors
Oct 29, 2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/29/nba-league-pass-mobile-brings-live-nba-basketball-to-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/29/162717-nba_league_pass_mobile.jpg

The NBA today launched (http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/mobile.html) NBA League Pass Mobile [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331357837&mt=8), $39.99] for the iPhone and Android operating systems, bringing live video of over 40 NBA basketball games per week for the 2009-2010 season to users via Wi-Fi and 3G. Features include:- Watch over 40 LIVE NBA games a week
- View full game replays for up to 48 hours after the game Local market, national blackout and other restrictions apply to all live and replay games in NBA LEAGUE PASS MOBILE.)
- Daily highlights from around the league
- Live player stats for every game
- Live scores for every game
- Set "Remind Me" alerts for favorite teams or key games
- Send game and stats updates through Email, Facebook and Twitter.Users can watch live games while monitoring scores of other games scrolling across the bottom of the screen. Local blackout rules apply.

CNET notes (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10386343-233.html) that while there is currently no package deal for existing subscribers to the NBA League Pass television service, the NBA is exploring such an offering for the future.Currently there is not added benefit if customers are already subcribers to the NBA's League Pass TV package. But bundling the two is something the league is looking at for the future, said Bryan Perez, senior vice president and general manager of NBA Digital.

Article Link: 'NBA League Pass Mobile' Brings Live NBA Basketball to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/29/nba-league-pass-mobile-brings-live-nba-basketball-to-iphone/)

Drumjim85
Oct 29, 2009, 03:36 PM
now how can this us 3g but my sling player can't.... :mad:

VenusianSky
Oct 29, 2009, 03:57 PM
I wish NHL Center Ice had this sort of thing.

skeep5
Oct 29, 2009, 04:01 PM
iPhone + NBA = :D

soLoredd
Oct 29, 2009, 04:02 PM
I would buy this in a heartbeat if they gave a discount for us current League Pass subs. I pay $180 every season for LP, $40 on top of that is too much. Especially when the NFL mobile is free with their season package.

avigalante
Oct 29, 2009, 04:02 PM
Here's another year that I will spend watching the Knicks lose! Woohoo! :rolleyes:

Sky Blue
Oct 29, 2009, 04:06 PM
Here's another year that I will spend watching the Knicks lose! Woohoo! :rolleyes:

I was going to buy the League Pass online, but I thought why waste the money to watch the Knicks suck?

I'll definitely buy this, glad I didn't get the $9.99 version!

On another note, local blackout sucks.

Liquorpuki
Oct 29, 2009, 05:29 PM
dammit, I just bought NBA Game Time yesterday when something like this is what I really wanted

Liquorpuki
Oct 29, 2009, 05:47 PM
watching Cleveland get destroyed by Toronto right now :D

goobot
Oct 29, 2009, 05:53 PM

sling player now can since att lifted it rules.

it just needs an update :D

genetic
Oct 29, 2009, 05:54 PM

AMEN

caliguy
Oct 29, 2009, 07:20 PM
dammit, I just bought NBA Game Time yesterday when something like this is what I really wanted
Grr, me too! How convenient that they release them so close together <_<

slu
Oct 29, 2009, 07:47 PM
This + Cydia app TV Out = win.

Go Sixers!

AndyHogan
Oct 29, 2009, 07:51 PM
Now if only there could be an NFL and NHL one too . . .

divabimbers
Oct 29, 2009, 10:09 PM
sling player now can since att lifted it rules.

it just needs an update :D

Where did you read about this? I thought that AT&T only lifted their rules for VOIP over 3G but not any video streaming stuff.

Andronicus
Oct 29, 2009, 10:13 PM
Where did you read about this? I thought that AT&T only lifted their rules for VOIP over 3G but not any video streaming stuff.

yah what he said

mattwolfmatt
Oct 29, 2009, 10:49 PM
NFL, this is getting embarrassing.

SirOmega
Oct 29, 2009, 11:18 PM

Exactly, if the FTC or FCC wants to investigate the Apple/AT&T/iPhone, investigate THIS! Why big players with big money (MLB, NBA) get to stream live video over 3G yet sling cant.

rwilliams
Oct 29, 2009, 11:51 PM

I get the NFL Network and NFL Mobile Live (w/ audio from every game, and every team's radio network) with the Sprint Everything data plan. I wouldn't expect to see the NFL break their exclusivity with Sprint any time soon.

iPunish901
Oct 30, 2009, 12:25 AM
by far the best app out! now all we need is a college bball app

The Joker
Oct 30, 2009, 02:44 AM
can i watch knick games on this even though i live in new york?

azentropy
Oct 30, 2009, 05:25 AM
can i watch knick games on this even though i live in new york?

Probably not. Blackout rules apply, which will keep me from purchasing.

mattwolfmatt
Oct 30, 2009, 06:17 AM
I get the NFL Network and NFL Mobile Live (w/ audio from every game, and every team's radio network) with the Sprint Everything data plan. I wouldn't expect to see the NFL break their exclusivity with Sprint any time soon.

Is AT&T the official Network of MLB and NBA? (Perhaps it is.) How do they get apps but NFL doesn't? How about the 298 million of us who don't have Sprint's Everything Data Plan? There should be some way of at least getting audio online. That's all I'm asking. Currently I have to call my parents' cell phone with my cell phone and they put the phone up to the receiver, to hear out of market games: a clear violation of rebroadcast rules. ;)

Chupa Chupa
Oct 30, 2009, 07:44 AM

Trust me the only embarrassment NFL owners feel is one of riches. They have a sweet contract w/ DirecTV which basically gives DTV the sole non-network affiliate live broadcast rights. The contract is so rich the NFL even locked itself out of selling the live games online... which is why no NFL originated iPhone app.

I've had NFL Sunday Ticket since '97 & enjoyed the ST iPhone app this season, but this may be my last as a ST subscriber. It's become too spendy plus HD is an extra $100, which is a total rip. It's too bad they don't offer a less expensive package where you can subscribe to a single team, Division, or Conference. Hard to justify spending $400 to watch 14 or so games on TV.

JBaker122586
Oct 30, 2009, 09:05 AM
Trust me the only embarrassment NFL owners feel is one of riches. They have a sweet contract w/ DirecTV which basically gives DTV the sole non-network affiliate live broadcast rights. The contract is so rich the NFL even locked itself out of selling the live games online... which is why no NFL originated iPhone app.

I've had NFL Sunday Ticket since '97 & enjoyed the ST iPhone app this season, but this may be my last as a ST subscriber. It's become too spendy plus HD is an extra $100, which is a total rip. It's too bad they don't offer a less expensive package where you can subscribe to a single team, Division, or Conference. Hard to justify spending $400 to watch 14 or so games on TV.

If you are in your team's local market, just getting the subscription to NFL Red Zone (which I think is $50) should cover you. I always figure, I'm going to be flipping between a bunch of games looking for one where something's happening, why don't I just let them do it for me?

jayenh
Oct 30, 2009, 09:42 AM
i want this in the uk :( especially if you can stream games from say the last week, not just live.

irsx1106
Oct 30, 2009, 11:49 AM
Do you guys think this will work for international buyers, buying this through the US iTunes store with gift cards?

(I'm just wondering if they utilize IP restrictions, since I can't subscribe to International League Pass for NBA in Canada) Would suck to ask my friend to pick up $40 worth of gift cards for me and then having the app end up not working in Canada.

diamond3
Oct 30, 2009, 07:03 PM
It does verify your location to determine the blackout areas based on gps and/or Internet connection. I would suggest trying to contact them in someway. I wouldn't want to spend the money just to find out that it doesn't work.

twoodcc
Oct 30, 2009, 08:22 PM
wow, now this is nice! i might consider this

Lara F
Oct 30, 2009, 10:27 PM

I've been wishing that too.

Sky Blue
Oct 30, 2009, 10:41 PM
Do you guys think this will work for international buyers, buying this through the US iTunes store with gift cards?

(I'm just wondering if they utilize IP restrictions, since I can't subscribe to International League Pass for NBA in Canada) Would suck to ask my friend to pick up $40 worth of gift cards for me and then having the app end up not working in Canada.

No, US only.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Oct 31, 2009, 01:48 AM
is there a quality difference between streaming over 3G and Wifi??

rwilliams
Oct 31, 2009, 07:15 PM
is there a quality difference between streaming over 3G and Wifi??

I would imagine so. The picture tends to get choppy from time to time when viewing live video over 3G, whereas it's usually steady and consistently good when you have a good WiFi signal.

djlexus
Nov 2, 2009, 12:44 AM
Okay maybe im off base here but the whole reason i bought this app is so i can watch my team on the go. Well i cant these blackout rules stink. I think they should be lifted when its a mobile device. I cant watch my local team when im out because of blackouts come on thats not mobile at all!

alec
Nov 3, 2009, 01:14 PM
Awesome! Can anyone comment on the audio/video quality?

Sky Blue
Nov 3, 2009, 03:34 PM
Okay maybe im off base here but the whole reason i bought this app is so i can watch my team on the go. Well i cant these blackout rules stink. I think they should be lifted when its a mobile device. I cant watch my local team when im out because of blackouts come on thats not mobile at all!

You should've read the description before you bought it, which clearly states that there are blackouts.

Awesome! Can anyone comment on the audio/video quality?

audio is fine, video is watchable over WiFi, not that great over 3G. Nowhere near as good as At Bat.

bozzykid
Nov 3, 2009, 03:50 PM
I find it quite greedy of the NBA to charge for this and not have it included in the NBA League Pass Broadband package. One purchase should include both. For most people, watching it on their computer is ideal, so the Broadband option is the way to go. Being able to watch it on the iPhone is nice, but I can't see paying $40 for that option. It should be one purchase, not two.

retroneo
Nov 3, 2009, 05:37 PM
Exactly, if the FTC or FCC wants to investigate the Apple/AT&T/iPhone, investigate THIS! Why big players with big money (MLB, NBA) get to stream live video over 3G yet sling cant.

There are plenty of video streaming apps in the Apps store. There aren't rules against it.

There is a rule against TV-redirection over 3G like Sling.

That's why the largest cable TV network in Australia, released their live cable TV over 3G system using a Web app that uses the same HTTP Live Streaming.

It's very cool. Sling can do the same. HTTP Live Streaming over 3G is available for web apps, and is identical.

Jessenumber1
Nov 3, 2009, 06:53 PM
What are the possibilities of a workaround to negate the blackouts? Can the location services be fooled in-app?

watergun
Nov 4, 2009, 04:08 PM
What are the possibilities of a workaround to negate the blackouts? Can the location services be fooled in-app?

I would like to know this too. It really depends on how the apps knows where you are. If it's IP address based, then we can prob use VNC. But, if it's GPS based, I am not sure. Can anyone do a simple test on this? Maybe turn off the location service then run the apps? See if it works? Thanks.

LastZion
Nov 6, 2009, 07:26 AM
Super lame that you can't use this in Canada... why the hell not?