Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaarup

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Denmark
I've no optical drive in my old G5. How can i install OS on that?

Is it possible to connect the HD to my MBP and install via the drive in that onto the HD.

Will it still run when put back in the G5.

Or can i use my superdrive from my airbook via USB?

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Both should work.

If the external USB DVD drive doesn't work use Firewire Target Disk Mode to install. Hook firewire cable from G5 to MBP. Put G5 into FTDM (usually cmd-T on boot IIRC) and run the installer on the MBP.

kaarup

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Denmark
Both should work.

If the external USB DVD drive doesn't work use Firewire Target Disk Mode to install. Hook firewire cable from G5 to MBP. Put G5 into FTDM (usually cmd-T on boot IIRC) and run the installer on the MBP.

Sounds like a plan. now i'm faced with my MBP firewire dont fit my firewire cable that fits the Imac.... :mad::confused:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The Air's superdrive won't work on the G5. The FW on your MBP is FW800, the iMacs is a FW400. You can get a firewire 9pin to 6pin adapter and boot your iMac G5 into target disc mode by holding down the T key at startup and using your install disc in your MBP.

You will not be able to use the MBP install media or are you using the CDs that came with your iMac?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I've no optical drive in my old G5. How can i install OS on that?

Is it possible to connect the HD to my MBP and install via the drive in that onto the HD.

Will it still run when put back in the G5.

Or can i use my superdrive from my airbook via USB?

There are some easier and more viable options.

Remote DVD or DVD Sharing... but I ain't tried it, it's supposed to be viable cause MacAir owners would use it to install the OS to their system if they don't own the option SuperDrive.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
The Air's superdrive won't work on the G5. The FW on your MBP is FW800, the iMacs is a FW400. You can get a firewire 9pin to 6pin adapter and boot your iMac G5 into target disc mode by holding down the T key at startup and using your install disc in your MBP.

You will not be able to use the MBP install media or are you using the CDs that came with your iMac?

I was gonna suggest this but won't the MBP request the HD to be formatted as GUID as supposed to Apple Portion Map??:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.