Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Is there an easy way to go through my iPhoto library, and move all the photos, currently stored in iPhotos date-oriented folder structure, into folders named after my iPhoto events, one folder per event?

Background to my Q
=============
When I started with iPhoto, knowing no better, i decided to let it manage folders. Whilst its all working OK, if I ever want to access one of the photos to use in an external app (and I use quite a few so its nota question of just setting one up as the external editor) I have to go into iPhoto and export it.

I'd rather just go into the folder directly , copy it out directly, as I feel exporting it may mess with the original (there is no 'export unchanged' function, you have to specify a level of jpeg compression etc).

So, I'd prefer to still use iPhoto, but with a bunch of folders named Event 1, Event 2, etc. I could do this manually by exporting one folder at a time, and then pointing iPhoto at that, but that seems like it would be a PITA to do and also I'd lose the link back to the originals for photos I have edited in iPhoto, all the faces, and so on.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
iPhoto 09 stores the image files by event if you allow it to manage your files automatically. But the answer to your problem is actually much simpler.

If you are using Leopard or newer, all open/save dialog boxes contain a sidebar entry for your photo library. There is no need to export pics to use in external apps.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
iPhoto 09 stores the image files by event if you allow it to manage your files automatically. But the answer to your problem is actually much simpler.

If you are using Leopard or newer, all open/save dialog boxes contain a sidebar entry for your photo library. There is no need to export pics to use in external apps.

Brilliant, thank you. At first, I wondered what you were talking about, because the size of the box for the open dialogue is small enough that it doesn't show, hence I had never even noticed it before, but scroll down, and Voila there it is !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.