Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
OK - so all excited last night, I downloaded the Apple TV 3.0 software update. Since then I have had to do four restarts, one by pulling out the power cable, and the other three times via the remote. Why? Because doing simple things like I could on 2.4 like browsing my music causes manic hard disk activity then nothing. It freezes and just sits there not doing anything.

I have 1 iTunes LP and 1 iTunes extra. T2 because it was what I thought a steal at $11.99 and Muse's The Uprising. Thoughts about these: They're great if you have the content locally. I just tried streaming the T2 iTunes Extra to the Apple TV...bad idea....I hear the familiar T2 music but all I have is a spinning wait cursor. Then nothing. Once it finally loads up after some more manic hard disk activity I get the splash screen. Cool - its like a DVD lets try some of the extras then, like the deleted scenes. Freeze! Hard disk activity. It then loads up the images (it is just HTML after all) but its like being connected to the internet on dial up again. The images load but slowly. I can literally see it drawing the content on the screen as it gains access to the network. I wouldn't mind so much, but I have an 'n' network. The Apple TV is connected via Airport to an Airport Extreme base station upstairs. This is inturn connected to my Mac mini via ethernet. My 13" MBP is connected to the same 'n' network and manages to stream stuff from the Mac mini fine. OK - the extras are a bit slow loading up on here, but its nothing like the Apple TV. I've over 100 720p movies on the Mac mini upstairs and never had a problem streaming them to the Apple TV in the past until now.

So I'm syncing T2 to the hard drive, in the hopes that it will play a lot better than the experience I just had.

I don't normally moan or rant, but I had to get this off my chest. I really can't believe that this software has brought such awful performance issues on my Apple TV. And I can't even listen to music on it any more - the damn thing just freezes and if I'm lucky reboots itself and asks me if I want to perform a test (which I have done to check its all OK and it reports back its working normally).

Anyone else had a bad experience?

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
OK - so syncing the content locally improves performance tremendously however there is still furious hard disk activity making it the audio stutter.

Better than the first time though...

pac

Meh! Spoke too soon! It locked up again when trying to view some of the extra features for T2.... bloody thing!

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
OK - so syncing the content locally improves performance tremendously however there is still furious hard disk activity making it the audio stutter.

Better than the first time though...

pac

Meh! Spoke too soon! It locked up again when trying to view some of the extra features for T2.... bloody thing!

If you look on the Apple support website, they mention that some of the iTunes Extras/LPs are not compatible with AppleTV 3.0 and that they would release updates that would be available for re-download. I'm sure someone else can paste the link if you need it.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
If you look on the Apple support website, they mention that some of the iTunes Extras/LPs are not compatible with AppleTV 3.0 and that they would release updates that would be available for re-download. I'm sure someone else can paste the link if you need it.

I don’t think the incompatible Extras and LPs even sync or stream to the Apple TV.

It sounds like he has hardware problems. I would reformat it and restore clean to 3.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.