Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seebol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Is the screen size ok? I'd like to hear from people who use or have used 12" ibook as their primary computer (i.e. no desktop or other laptops to use regularly). Yeah, I know I can just bring an external monitor, but that is a hassle. How is ther 12" for typing documents, surfing the net, watching dvds, ichatting? Thanks

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I dont have an iBook but I have a 12" PowerBook....The screen will be fine for your needs,I use mine for graphic design,surfing,music/movies,photography,iChat.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
nice thing is, you can rest it on a book on your bed and watch a movie before going to sleep. the screen will be fine. best is go to an apple retailer and have a look for yourself. :)

i´m going to buy a 12" powerbook real soon. i´ve been able to play around with a friends, so i´m positive it´s great!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I have the PB 12", and find the screen just fine. I use it for InDesign, Word, Filemaker, Acrobat, websurfing, and the such. If I need more screen space, I span to a 17" monitor.

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
Had a 12" iBook for a couple of years and recently got a 12" PB. I gave the iBook to the grand kids and watched my son crawl around under and try to shift the computer desk so he could plug the Airport Extreme base station into the cable router that was hidden back there somewhere.

I had flashbacks to when I used to do that.

Having only a laptop - and a 12 incher at that - makes life so much easier. No more crawling around under things trying to find which cable goes where or tracing that cable. Everything is on top - out front - in the open.

Unplugged.

m.

Oh I almost forgot. My son and his wife didn't want me to hook up the AEBS for the kids but when I left they were both using the iBook to surf the web and the kids were nowhere in sight :rolleyes:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I have a 12" iBook, and I use it as primary. Of course, I hooked up a muse, keyboard and 17" LCD to it, so it's more like a desktop. But it's surprisingly fast and powerful for such a small laptop with a "old" processor (G3). Oh yeah!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Raven VII said:
I have a 12" iBook, and I use it as primary. Of course, I hooked up a muse, keyboard and 17" LCD to it, so it's more like a desktop. But it's surprisingly fast and powerful for such a small laptop with a "old" processor (G3). Oh yeah!

I have the PB 12" rev. B, and I am surprised that a new eMac is a bit better performer than my PB. I would hope that the new rev. C with the faster HDD would equal the eMac performance.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Chip NoVaMac said:
I have the PB 12" rev. B, and I am surprised that a new eMac is a bit better performer than my PB. I would hope that the new rev. C with the faster HDD would equal the eMac performance.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a speed demon, but it's very usable and does everything I ask of it.

numark

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I used a 12" G3 iBook this entire last year of college without any problem. Worked fine for me when I was typing up papers, watching DVDs (when my roommate was watching TV), and playing basic games (i.e. WC3). I'll probably move up to a G5 this year simply because I want to have a little bit more speed, but the 12" screen hasn't really impeded my work all that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.