Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I have been using Windows 7 for about two weeks now. While it definitely is faster than Vista and in some ways XP, I find all the eye candy even with Aero off to give me headaches and it has certain graphical problems with certain programs made for the Windows 9x line, even with compatibility mode. I don't have an optical drive though, but I do have another spare computer and a 4 GB Flash Drive so I can load the disc files onto the USB drive if possible. Overall I want to just wait for SP1 to come out before being completely dedicated to Windows 7.

Is there a way to downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows XP via Flash Drive?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I have been using Windows 7 for about two weeks now. While it definitely is faster than Vista and in some ways XP, I find all the eye candy even with Aero off to give me headaches and it has certain graphical problems with certain programs made for the Windows 9x line, even with compatibility mode. I don't have an optical drive though, but I do have another spare computer and a 4 GB Flash Drive so I can load the disc files onto the USB drive if possible. Overall I want to just wait for SP1 to come out before being completely dedicated to Windows 7.

Is there a way to downgrade from Windows 7 to Windows XP via Flash Drive?

The better question is 'can I mount an XP ISO onto a flash drive and get it to boot/install off of said flash drive'.

What programs in particular are you having 'graphical problems' with?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
They are more annoying than they are destructive. For example, with Age of Empires, in order to run it you need to run the game, set up the game, then right when the game starts you need to go to desktop, disable explorer.exe, and then you need to find the Age of Empires program under task manager which is sometimes a pain. Annoying things like that.

So would the ISO image mount via flash drive?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The OP is trying to run Windows 95/98 games. Virtualization on modern hardware might work well enough for that!

Though you might want to consider actually virtualizing 98...

B

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.