PDA

View Full Version : 2G vs. 3G iPod (Battery Issues) ??

noahsnyc
Jul 24, 2004, 02:19 PM
Hello all -

I have been the proud owner of a 1G 5gig iPod for a couple of years now. The thing is great, holds a good charge and whatnot.

However, I've been thinking lately, that my 12gig music collection really wants more freedom, and I've started pricing 10 and 15gig 2G and 3G models.

Basically, my question is, how stable are the batteries between the 2G and 3G models? I've heard that pretty much all 3G batteries die after a year or two and need to be replaced. Is this endemic on the 2G models as well? Would a refurb. (from Apple or SmallDog) have a "new" battery or an old battery?

I really don't care about the difference between the 2G and 3G, just hard drive size and battery life!

Thanks a bunch!!

Noah

noahsnyc@hotmail.com

LeeTom
Jul 24, 2004, 02:36 PM
I can't say for it's overall lifespan, but my 3rd generation 40G doesn't last the advertised 8 hours. I'm lucky to get 6, and more likely get 4. I've just accepted it though.

I don't know if you can afford it or not, but I just got back from playing with the 4th generation iPod at the Apple Store, and I'm already thinking of switching! The click wheel is AWESOME, the menus seem more fluid, and the battery life is advertised as 12 hours!

I would definitely recommend stepping up and getting the latest 20GB, just for the battery life alone.

Lee Tom

7on
Jul 24, 2004, 03:17 PM
My 2G gets 9-10 hrs regularly. But the 20GB for $300 is a killer deal and $200 less than what you paid for your 5Gb ;P

m.r.m.
Jul 24, 2004, 03:18 PM
my 3rd gen. gets about 8 hrs. and it´s been running fine for over a year now. no noticeable loss of battery life. go ahead with the 4th gen. ipods. i think you´ll be fine. be sure to get a tap from compusa.