PDA

View Full Version : PS2 won't play nice with Airport... help?

Kingsnapped
Jul 24, 2004, 02:50 PM
I can't configure my ps2 to work through my Airport. Googling it only gets me the same two faqs over and over, and they don't say anything about the Airport. Does anybody have a PS2 running out the Lan port of their APX? If so, what is the configuration on everything?

Thanks in advance.

LoadRunner
Jul 24, 2004, 05:37 PM
Could you describe your setup in detail? How is the hardware set up, what setting are you suing with your airport base station? Are you using dhcp or manual address ? What is the path between your airport base station and the ps2? How is your ps2 connect to the network? Are you using any security or encryption? What are you trying to do with your ps2? Are you trying to host a game?

Kingsnapped
Jul 24, 2004, 05:55 PM
Sorry about my lack of... information. I'm using the Airport Extreme base station, with the PS2 connected right to the LAN port. I'm connected to SBC Yahoo's DSL.

I don't know what kind of encryption is going on, I'm just using the defaults that come with the APX. All I'm trying to do with the PS2 is play Tony Hawk online. I assume I will be hosting, and playing games. All I know about my internet connection is it's via pppoe.

I think the problem lies within the PS2's configuration, which is very unintuitive. Hope that helps.

/knows nothing about networking.

LoadRunner
Jul 24, 2004, 06:32 PM
There are two ethernet ports on the airport extreme base. Both have been labeled, One has an icon that kind of looks like *, and the other kind of looks like <---->. The ps2 should be plugged into the port that's labeled <---->. Make sure your using an ethernet cross over cable, and not an ethernet cable. check for the green sink light on the ps2 ethernet adapter.

Most likely your base station is set up to distribute a range of ip addresses. So the ps2 should be set to dhcp. that anuff to join some one else's game. To host a game, you'll probable have to find out what Ports the game uses, and wrought those ports to your ps2 ip address.