Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCAVS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
I moved my :apple:TV160 to a new home and now it's in a different room. In order to change the name, did a factory restore and now am going to set it up again. Always used to sync the content, but now considering just streaming. At present, have less than 160 GB to stream but once I get my home videos and other videos onto my computer, will be more than 160GB so obviously will have to stream. Main question, if one is going to stream, is there any benefit (or need) to sync content (up to 160 GB) or is it better to just stream?

Final question, anyone with advice on the best format to store home videos please let me know. Videos recorded on Canon HV20 and I believe may be able to get it at 1080i.

Thanks!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I would sync as much as you can so your content is always available, but obviously you will outgrow that.

As for formats, you can store your movies in iMovie. If you need to save space and then delete the stock footage, just use iMovie to export the movie as a Large file format (which is 540p) or a quicktime movie. The large file format will be Apple TV compatible forever and be basically the same quality.

NYCAVS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Thanks

I sync'd what I could and will stream the rest. Thanks. Still not sure if better to fill the :apple:TV more with movies, music, or photos but I suspect doesn't matter too much because the rest can be streamed...

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I sync'd what I could and will stream the rest. Thanks. Still not sure if better to fill the :apple:TV more with movies, music, or photos but I suspect doesn't matter too much because the rest can be streamed...

You probably want to leave at least 10 gigs of free space so it doesn't slow down too much. I imagine that can happen.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
We can sync and stream at the same time? When did that happen?

I always thought it was one or the other...or did I misread something?

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
I have 3, all set to sync. Too many videos now, and it seems to remove watched stuff to make room for the new, so chances are what you want are stored locally. I realised this once when trying to watch something again and it had to stream it. Problem was, the Mac was very busy, so the stream coughed and spluttered. No real problem, I just paused the Apple TV, paused the other stuff the Mac was doing, then carried on and all was fine.

Point is, might as well sync, to give the best chance of local storage of what you're watching, just in case some other problem occurs. If what you want isn't there, it'll stream. Best of both worlds and completely automatic. Given that, can't see the point of not synching, since there's no cost to it.

TomP80

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Re: sync or stream: I guess it depends on whether you are happy to have your computer on and running iTunes 24/7.

If you are happy doing that, then there is no real benefit for having anything synced.

If you switch off your computer AT ALL, then it is worth syncing as much content as you can.

My computer is on about 95% of the time. I normally sync all my photos and music (about 100GB), and stream everything else.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I stream cause I just have a computer that has all my media on it, on all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.