PDA

View Full Version : HELP - ibook power plug glows the wrong colors!

TheMac19
Jul 24, 2004, 03:20 PM
My girlfriend just bought an Apple-refurbished ibook G4 and the power adapter seems a bit fishy to me. We just received it yesterday, and I noticed that after charging last night, the adapter ring was still glowing orange. (After a while it went back to green.) Then today I drained all the juice out of the battery to calibrate it, and when I plugged it in the adapter ring glowed green. Strangely enough if I pushed on the adapter plug near the ring, it would switch to orange. When I removed my finger, green. Now it's staying green, and i think it's charging the battery, but I'm not sure. I opened the lid of the ibook to see what the battery status would say, but it just says "calculating".
Anyone have any ideas? - or similar problems? Should I dial up applecare?

EDIT: i just noticed that the ring is now glowing orange, but when I open the lid it changes to green. when I close the lid it's back to orange again. What the heck is going on here?!?!?!?! Could it be this is what ibooks do?

varmit
Jul 24, 2004, 03:37 PM
My girlfriend just bought an Apple-refurbished ibook G4 and the power adapter seems a bit fishy to me. We just received it yesterday, and I noticed that after charging last night, the adapter ring was still glowing orange. (After a while it went back to green.) Then today I drained all the juice out of the battery to calibrate it, and when I plugged it in the adapter ring glowed green. Strangely enough if I pushed on the adapter plug near the ring, it would switch to orange. When I removed my finger, green. Now it's staying green, and i think it's charging the battery, but I'm not sure. I opened the lid of the ibook to see what the battery status would say, but it just says "calculating".
Anyone have any ideas? - or similar problems? Should I dial up applecare?

EDIT: i just noticed that the ring is now glowing orange, but when I open the lid it changes to green. when I close the lid it's back to orange again. What the heck is going on here?!?!?!?! Could it be this is what ibooks do?

Orange is for charging, and green is for its fully charged and is just using the power on the cord for power. Your power cord could be a little faulty, but as long as it works, I see no problem. Might want to reseat the battery, pop it out and push it back in. Still bothering you, reset PMU. Still bothering you, take it to the local Apple store.

EDIT: Mine does the color change too when the plug is not fully pushed into the side of the ibook.