PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook VRAM...did I get shorted?

yakisoba
Jul 24, 2004, 03:56 PM
Hey all,

So, I got a 15" G4 1.5Ghz PB direct from Apple online about three weeks ago. It I paid the extra $100 for 128MB VRAM (of course ONE DAY after they raised the price from $50 to $100). Well, I didn't even think about it, but just today, I was looking at "About this Mac...", and it reports 64MB of VRAM. What gives? I checked my invoice and yep, it says that I was supposed to get 128MB. Is there a better diagnostic I can run to see what I am really equipped with?

Thanks.

MikeLaRiviere
Jul 24, 2004, 04:14 PM
If About This Mac states that you have 64 MB VRAM, then you'd better believe you've been shorted. Contact Apple immediately to rectify the problem.

X Bench, I believe, will also indicate the amount of VRAM present. Take a look over at VersionTracker.com for X Bench.

Mike LaRiviere

stevehaslip
Jul 24, 2004, 04:47 PM
ouch! get it sorted, sounds like you're definately missing something!

Elan0204
Jul 24, 2004, 05:03 PM
Yep, definitely a mistake. Call Apple and they'll take care of it. There was another thread a while ago where someone had the wrong processor in their computer. They called Apple and get the processor switched.

yakisoba
Jul 24, 2004, 07:10 PM
Dang it....I was afraid that was the case....I'm sitting on hold with AppleCare right now, after having explained the problem to the Tech, he went to "find some more information", whatever the heck that is supposed to mean....

Hmmm...the tech just transferred me to the Sales department... He says that they have to help me with this problem....I'm on hold again.

Okay, so the Sales guy says that he has to wait until Monday to "have an Administrator review the case" to decide what to do...

At this point, I'm about ready to say, "You know what, I'll keep the machine, just refund me my $100 for the upgrade." The video performance has been fine as far as I'm concerned, and I don't know if I'll really notice any improvement with the "bigger" video card...

Elan0204
Jul 24, 2004, 07:54 PM
At this point, I'm about ready to say, "You know what, I'll keep the machine, just refund me my $100 for the upgrade." The video performance has been fine as far as I'm concerned, and I don't know if I'll really notice any improvement with the "bigger" video card...

In the long run I think you'll really appreciate having the extra vram in there. Remember, the video card is not upgradable later, so you really want to get the best you can to start with. I'd say 64MB of video ram is quickly becoming a minimum (or "for best performance") requirement (it seems that most everything graphics intensive already requires 32MB as the absolute bare minimum), so if you have 128MB you'll be ahead of the game.

yamabushi
Jul 24, 2004, 08:00 PM
On average you will get roughly around 5% better performance with the 128 for 3D applications. I find that to be significant considering recent annual cpu performance bumps have been around 20-25%. Don't let them stiff you with a 64 if you really wanted the 128. I'd call back soon and see if you can get a better sales rep. The bottom line is that they still have not delivered what you ordered.

btw- I love yakisoba. Yum. :D

Elan0204
Jul 24, 2004, 09:11 PM
btw- I love yakisoba. Yum. :D

Sorry, off topic, but I didn't know what yakisoba was so I had to Google it. Looks yummy! I love Japanese food. I think I'll definitely have to look into making yakisoba myself.

Um, so, yeah, back on topic...As yamabushi and myself said you are going to want to get Apple to put in the extra vram. Who knows, maybe you can convince them to throw in some extra ram too as an apology for their error. :)

musicpyrite
Jul 24, 2004, 09:32 PM
When did Apple raise the price of the video card from $50 to $100?

yakisoba
Jul 25, 2004, 12:26 AM
When did Apple raise the price of the video card from $50 to $100?

On July 1st. Of course, I had been lusting after the PB for months, visiting the Apple site daily, and when I finally decided to buy, I said, "Okay, this Friday (payday), I'm doing it!" Of course, Friday was July 2nd. Damn.
Story of my life.

yakisoba
Jul 25, 2004, 12:30 AM
Sorry, off topic, but I didn't know what yakisoba was so I had to Google it. Looks yummy! I love Japanese food. I think I'll definitely have to look into making yakisoba myself.

:D Yeah, there's kind of a funny story behind the name. About 10 years ago, I bought a nice new black suit, and I was wearing it with some Gargoyle sunglasses. And my wife, who is not Japanese, said, "Oooo.....You look just like a Yakisoba." Intending to say, "Yakuza." I thought it was hysterical telling a guy in a nice new suit that he looks like a plate of fried noodles!

Finiksa
Jul 25, 2004, 01:37 AM
At this point, I'm about ready to say, "You know what, I'll keep the machine, just refund me my $100 for the upgrade."

They may not have put the incorrect logic board in your system. It could be faulty and only recognizing half the VRAM, make sure you get it looked at.

musicpyrite
Jul 25, 2004, 12:43 PM
On July 1st. Of course, I had been lusting after the PB for months, visiting the Apple site daily, and when I finally decided to buy, I said, "Okay, this Friday (payday), I'm doing it!" Of course, Friday was July 2nd. Damn.
Story of my life.

That sucks....

Any body know why they raised it?

Elan0204
Jul 25, 2004, 05:12 PM
That sucks....

Any body know why they raised it?

Just speculation, but Apple probably realized what a great deal the upgrade was at $50. Not wanting to set a precedent of offering anything memory related without significant markup, the price was raised to $100.

musicpyrite
Jul 25, 2004, 05:30 PM
Just speculation, but Apple probably realized what a great deal the upgrade was at $50. Not wanting to set a precedent of offering anything memory related without significant markup, the price was raised to $100.

If this is true, this is the kind of crap I hate Apple for, which is why my devotion to them is waning....

Abstract
Jul 25, 2004, 06:09 PM
That sounds bad, but it does sound like something Apple would do.

Apple has absolute no class.

yamabushi
Jul 26, 2004, 05:18 AM
Yes a much better move for Apple would be to bump up the performance by making 128 standard at around the same price as the current base model. Why cripple your high end model? It makes no sense. :confused: The 128 is clearly popular which means it is what consumers want.