PDA

View Full Version : purple iPod display?

JDOG_
Jul 24, 2004, 04:48 PM
Would any of you say this is purple? I'm comparing it to the aqua background on this picture. I had heard tidbits around the net of the new 4G's being purplish...have a look for yourself:

Elan0204
Jul 24, 2004, 04:56 PM
The color is going to always vary based on lighting and what the background is, but the 4G iPods are supposed to have a blue backlight. I've heard the light referred to purplish blue, and based on your picture I'd have to agree. Of course, under different lighting and not held in front of an aqua blue screen it probably would look bluer.

edit: Check out how different the backlight looks in this picture compared to yours. In this photo I think it looks more like a blueish white, but is obviously not the same white as used in the 3G iPod. (Photo credit to ipodlounge.com, by the way.)

Finiksa
Jul 24, 2004, 05:26 PM
In this photo I think it looks more like a blueish white, but is obviously not the same white as used in the 3G iPod.

The 3G iPod backlight colour varied depending on which factory is was made in, either white or blueish. I suspect the 4G screens will be the same.

Elan0204
Jul 24, 2004, 05:38 PM
The 3G iPod backlight colour varied depending on which factory is was made in, either white or blueish. I suspect the 4G screens will be the same.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that. For some reason i thought that the different color for the 4G iPod was intended as a new feature by Apple. I could of sworn I remember hearing that. I wonder if Apple has gotten the lcds standardized for the 4G so everyone will have the same color. I didn't like how there were differences in the 3G lcd colors.

Island Roots
Jul 24, 2004, 06:06 PM
It does in fact depend on where they're made. My 4th generation iPod, made in China, has a white backlight without a hint of blue. Others coming from Taiwan have bluish blacklights.

JOD8FY
Jul 24, 2004, 06:14 PM
It does in fact depend on where they're made. My 4th generation iPod, made in China, has a white backlight without a hint of blue. Others coming from Taiwan have bluish blacklights.

Hmm, I never knew this before. I hope mine is blue!

JOD8FY

P.S. - Can you test it out in the Apple store? :D

Elan0204
Jul 24, 2004, 08:01 PM
It's really too bad that they can't get all the backlights to look the same. I think some people would be pretty upset to find that their new iPod's backlight looks different than the pictures or other iPods they have seen. What I mean is, if someone has an expectation when buying the iPod of what the backlight is going to look like, they might get pretty upset when it looks different.

By the way, here is a screenshot of how Apple describes the display for both the 3G and 4G iPods (3G on the left, 4G on the right).

themadchemist
Jul 24, 2004, 09:47 PM
If it plays music, that's the main thing.

Macmaniac
Jul 24, 2004, 10:13 PM
I have noticed the varying colors of blue on 3G iPods, my sisters iPod is light blue, while my friends iPod is a darker blue.