Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j3roen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hi there, I'm new to these forums and to be honest new to mac. I've recently bought a MacBook Pro and also have a hackintosh install running on my desktop. Both using snow Leopard.

I've searched and searched but can't seem to find an explication/conformation for my problem. It might take while to explain, so please bear with me :)

In short, I have a number of SMB based fileservers and each has multiple shares. When I open finder I can see the servers and browse through the shares. Now the problem is as follows:
When I use the finder to navigate to a particular server where I already have a volume/share mounted I get a lag for about 4-7 seconds. After that it shows the sharelist just fine and I can mount other shares, or navigate to the share I already mounted.

When accessing the already mounted share from the desktop item all is fine and dandy. It's fast as it should be.

The problem only occurs when navigating to a fileserver where I already have a share mounted. When there is no share mounted I see the sharelist almost instantly.

The fileservers are in an Active Directory domain, but I've also tried it without AD. I also tried the mac being a member of AD and not being a member. No difference. Only the mac has troubles. Windows / *nix based computer have no issues.

After searching and searching and not finding a solution I decided to sniff the traffic between mac and a fileserver using wireshark on the mac. I think I can relate the problem to mDNSresponder/bonjour. What happens is this:

(assume my AD domain is foo.bar.nl and the server name is "nas")

1. The mac does a netbios name server query for NAS directed at the WINS server. The Wins server replies with an anwser.
2. The mac does a DNS txt query for _kerberos.nas.local directed at the AD DNS server. (This does not exist)
3. The mac does a DNS txt query for _kerberos.nas.foo.bar.nl directed at the AD DNS server. (This does not exist)
4. The mac does 3 multicast DNS requests for TXT _kerberos.nas.local. (No reply since I don't use Bonjour in my network)
5. Finally it stops asking and directly accesses the server and asks the sharelist which it get's from the server.

Now this seems totally illogical to me. And seems like a bug/feature from mDNSresponder. I disabloed mDNSresponder while
it already has the servernames cached and guess what? No delay. Only problem now is, DNS is totally gone and I cannot
find/query any "new" sites. It breaks all DNS. Just a small issue :)

Now for the questions:

1. Can anyone replicate this problem? I asked around and it seems that i'm not the only one but I'd like to be sure.
2. Is there a bugfix for this / workaround? Can I stop the mDNSresponder / bonjour behaviour while still retaining normal DNS functions? Since SL I read you cannot separate it.
3. May be as a workaround, can I add the _kerberos.<servername>.foo.bar.nl TXT dns entry to the DNS server? What should the TXT read? I
already tried and it didn't work. May be I put the wrong information in the txt.

Thanks for taking the time for ready this rather long post and I hope someone can shed some light on this problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.