Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jo'

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Would anyone happen to know the reason why I get a "Forbidden to Access - 403 Error" in both Safari and Firefox (on my MacBook), but the same page will display properly in internet explorer (on my kid's pc)???

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
403's usually result when index browsing is disabled and/or permissions deny reading the content directly.

But if it works in one browser and not the next, it's likely one of these two scenarios: First, authentication is required but the webmaster of the site issues a 403 instead of 401 (not authorized) to fool people. Second, it's setup properly but the webmaster no longer hosts the site and don't provide a redirection to a new URL. In this case it is not unusual for the 403 error to be returned instead of a more helpful error, and the problem usually goes away in a week or two (DNS propagation globally) if true.

Your child's Mac might be caching old page data, or successfylly authenticated prior to the site being moved, and on your computer you see the 403 as anyone else would who isn't logged in or visiting the first time.

-jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.