PDA

View Full Version : iPod Mini Launch in Tokoyo is Huge

MacBytes
Jul 24, 2004, 05:06 PM
Category: Photos
Link: iPod Mini Launch in Tokyo is Huge (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040724180636)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Nermal
Jul 24, 2004, 06:41 PM
Do we actually have editors here? I mean, come on, Tokoyo?

Vagcmyevad
Jul 24, 2004, 06:57 PM
Do we actually have editors here? I mean, come on, Tokoyo?I was just going to say, when did Tokoyo make it's way onto the world map?

Anyways, this is good news (about the minis) :).

Captain Canuck
Jul 24, 2004, 08:35 PM
I don't recall hearing about anyone lining up for the new Sony Walkman when it was released over there. 1,500 people -- that's one long line I'm glad I didn't have to wait in!!

Only had two people ahead of me Wednesday when I picked up the new 40 GB iPod in Palo Alto.

cc

yamabushi
Jul 24, 2004, 08:36 PM
Actually 1500 people for the first day is a bit lower than I expected for Tokyo. Perhaps they haven't advertised the release of the iPod mini very much yet in Japan.

Make a gadget that is small and stylish and you can expect most Japanese consumers to take notice. A palmtop iBook or Powerbook would probably also be received very well. Updated small form factor desktop computers might also get their attention.

Mudbug
Jul 24, 2004, 09:33 PM
haha - whoops - my bad :D

I saw the typo, thought "hey, I need to change that..." then got sidetracked and forgot.

Abstract
Jul 24, 2004, 10:42 PM
I was just going to say, when did Tokoyo make it's way onto the world map?

Why bother mentioning it when you probably knew immediately that it was a tying error that probably referred to Tokyo.

Anyway, I can't believe how much Japanese people like stylish electronic gadgets. They're almost a testing ground for this stuff, and should really get these things first. They'll tell you if its good or not, although you can probably tell by the line-up outside the store whether it'll be successful or not.

Dave1982
Jul 24, 2004, 11:20 PM
Not to take this thread off on a tangent, but it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) ThurROT will have to say about this. He's been ranting on his blog that the iPod mini in fact doesn't exist, that's it's in his Vaporware Hall of Fame. He espoused that particular theory a few weeks ago, and at the time specifically said it was just his opinion. But only a few days later was stating it as fact. It is, of course, utter tripe with no actual evidence to back it up. Though I don't own an iPod, I've held a mini in my hands.

But now we've got pictures of many many many iPod minis up for sale in one place. Vaporware, I think not Paul, if you have the guts to admit it.

Bunzi2k4
Jul 25, 2004, 02:04 AM
man i think that's really crazy! a 4 story apple store!! 0_0 now i want to go to tokyo, not for the anime, but for the apple store :D

jimjiminyjim
Jul 25, 2004, 12:35 PM
The article mentioned how the main point was to get people to look at the whole store, but they didn't say anything about strategy...

Regardless, lines like that are insane!

jholzner
Jul 25, 2004, 02:15 PM
So there were rumors way back last year that Apple would open the iTMS in Japan in the spring. There were also rumors that it would open "this year." I wonder when it will happen. I hope it's soon to capitalize on the iPod mini fever!

Mudbug
Jul 25, 2004, 04:48 PM
Not to take this thread off on a tangent, but it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) ThurROT will have to say about this. He's been ranting on his blog that the iPod mini in fact doesn't exist, that's it's in his Vaporware Hall of Fame. He espoused that particular theory a few weeks ago, and at the time specifically said it was just his opinion. But only a few days later was stating it as fact. It is, of course, utter tripe with no actual evidence to back it up. Though I don't own an iPod, I've held a mini in my hands.

But now we've got pictures of many many many iPod minis up for sale in one place. Vaporware, I think not Paul, if you have the guts to admit it.

Thurott's an idiot. He won't intentionally get any more links from our site, unless he changes his name. And we'll still probably be able to pick him out by the smell.

My wife sure thinks the pink block of vapor she uses everyday is quite cool, regardless of what that windbag says.

Dave1982
Jul 25, 2004, 09:28 PM
Thurott's an idiot.

I know. It's just that that comment in particular really irritated me.