Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srClaire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
I am well aware of the issues Mac have had with the magnetic chargers for the MacBooks and I have already had a new one (although I have had the "new" one for well over a year now).

My battery is ok (I know this because I put it in my brother-in-law's MacBook and it worked perfectly fine), I have the mb connected to the magsafe charger and the icon at the top of the screen tells me it is plugged in, the light on the connector is amber, but the green scroll lights on the battery are not scrolling and the battery charge percentage is dropping.

I would very much like to know where the problem lies before I contact Apple so if anyone has experienced this particular charging issue and know where the problem lies I would very much like to hear from you :)

TIA

teksurv

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
San Diego, CA
Have you tried your brother-in-law's power adapter on your Mac? Assuming that changes nothing I'd look at replacing the DC power board. They are pretty cheap and you can use the guide at iFixit.com to assist in replacing it. Following that, it would likely be the logic board at fault. All this assumes you don't have warranty/Apple Care.

srClaire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
Your assumption is correct :D

I have tried BILs power cord and it was the same so I will try your suggestion of replacing the DC power board, many thanks :)

teksurv

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
San Diego, CA
One other consideration may be the Battery charge cable that runs from the battery bay to the logic board. Another inexpensive part thankfully. There are two versions that I am aware of, non-energy star as seen in the 2006 models and energy star. Please post an update when you have one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.