PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

brenden
Nov 1, 2009, 11:15 AM
Im not sure if this is the correct place to post so i did some searches and I didn't really find what i was looking for so i thought id ask.

I am going to be enrolling in community college in the spring and want to study application programing but I want to be able to eventually program on my mac and if possible only on my mac. Id like to learn how to create apps for Macs.

What classes should I look to take? I have zero experience in application development so i'll need to start with the absolute basics.

Would it be C, C++, C#?

xStep
Nov 1, 2009, 03:20 PM
The first thing to note is that the main programming language for Mac coding is Objective-C. It is a superset of the C language.

A huge part of programming is analyzing problems and designing solutions. A level 100 course in analysis and design would be a good starting place along with an introduction to some programming language.

My opinion is people who are starting from scratch should learn a scripting language first. They tend to hide certain things, highlight common programming language traits, and allow you to focus more on the act of programming.

If you only have access to a Mac at home, then you would want to take a course where the language is available on the Mac. C is of course available. If the college is teaching C, but on Windows using functions only available in Windows, then you will run into issues working on the Mac. Review your college catalog to figure that out and even consider phoning the instructor.