Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I remember with Jaguar and Panther new builds appearing quite frequently on macrumors.com, when do people think the next Tiger build will surface?

I can't remember how long it was between WWDC Panther and next build, but it wasn't this long was it?

I wonder if they're going to be fewer and far between because of the longer time frame? The other things (XCode, .mac SDK have been trundling along nicely). Come to mention it...10.3.5 seems to have died. Maybe that's coming to us soon.

AppleMatt

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
according to a "source" that i have. we are useing an old build and apple is several build ahead of us they just have not seeded them yet.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Hector said:
according to a "source" that i have. we are useing an old build and apple is several build ahead of us they just have not seeded them yet.
Oh come on, you really think Apple are going to let builds slip out as frequently as MS Longhorn - especially with the huge timeframe to the final release?

They're keeping it closely under wraps. Really closely.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Motha-Canuker said:
do they release new builds via software update?

According to ThinkSecret the new seed is being distributed by Software Update. This is the first time it has been done this way, as all the Panther seeds were posted on the ADC site for downloading. Distributing the seeds this way should certainly help prevent them from leaking and ending up all over the Internet.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Although this changes the build number it's not a "new build" per se, all it does is test the Software Update in Tiger by sending over a readme file and updates Spotlight to be able to search through vCards.

It's 152kb, so the changes are minimal.
What I initially meant was a full new build, downloaded via ADC, that contained major changes.

You can of course download updates from SU to the desktop, and then post them to the internet.

AppleMatt

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i just got the update and it fixed a minor problem i had that gave an error when copying stuff to my ipod :D.

it's all good

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I think Tiger builds are going to be sparse until Q4, maybe even Q1.

MS has a lot of time to copy right now, and Apple doesn't want to show their hand too early.

The dev preview achieved what it needed to: it got the core technologies and SDK's in developers hands and got people excited. That's really all Apple needs to do publicly for now.

Of course, part of my answer is wishful thinking, since things I care a lot about, like a usable professional iCal are missing from the dev build. Plus, in general, since this release of OSX is going to carry us for a couple of years according to Apple, I want it to be insanely great.

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
Elan0204 said:
According to ThinkSecret the new seed is being distributed by Software Update. This is the first time it has been done this way, as all the Panther seeds were posted on the ADC site for downloading. Distributing the seeds this way should certainly help prevent them from leaking and ending up all over the Internet.

*cough* Software Update > Update menu > Save Package

DMG the package, and off you go.

I'm not advocating that, by the way. I'm just saying it doesn't really stop anyone from downloading the package and giving it to others.

thedoc1111

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
also Apple did use SW Update 'ahead' of time to test it when Panther & Jaguar were being developed.

I think in one case before there was an actual update rather than just a li'l text file or something.

Mike

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
thedoc1111 said:
also Apple did use SW Update 'ahead' of time to test it when Panther & Jaguar were being developed.

I think in one case before there was an actual update rather than just a li'l text file or something.

Mike

That's true. Each of those (like this one) were real patches, but they also were used to test the software update system. This one simply didn't change anything good.

Oh, does anyone out there have a saved copy of the Panther WWDC test software update package? It has been removed from the software update server.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
that update did fix things

it let me put files on my ipod again and it fixed my network issues. now i have an almost bug free tiger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.