Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Hey guys well i finally did it.My first mac will be a pb 12" I bought 512mb of crucial.So im waiting.tick tock. :rolleyes: .Now I have a sony 17" sony monitor with dvi .You think i should sell this monitor and purchace an apple lcd or just keep it .thanks guy

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Hey,
Congratulations! I've used Sony monitors in the past, and always thought they were great. I recently upgraded to the (old) 20" Cinema Display, and I think it's even totally awesome, but I wouldn't be unhappy with a Sony. Maybe try it for a while?
Not really an answer, but my two cents...

Lee Tom

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Well the only apple monitor that is 17' is the old cinema displays, and then you would have to buy the adc to dvi connector which is $70-$100. Now if you wanted to upgrade to the new 20' thats a different story. But for a 17' the sony is probably fine for your needs.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Keep it.

Some people are just branded like cattle....branded to the point where they think its better to have everything Apple rather than something else, even if they're getting similar or worse performance at a higher cost (I mean, its Apple we're talking about), so don't bother getting rid of your Sony LCD if its doing the job. If you NEED to have a tiny Apple symbol somewhere on the display, just use on of those white Apple stickers. ;)

Do you need a widescreen display? Some people do, and don't get that from their Sony, but otherwise, who cares as long as the display is good?

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Thanks guys :) .Well i do not need a wide screen but im worried that the 12 will be small.I wont be doing any real work on it.I have a dvd player so if i want to watch some movies ,I'll watch them on my sony wega.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
nyprospect said:
Thanks guys :) .Well i do not need a wide screen but im worried that the 12 will be small.I wont be doing any real work on it.I have a dvd player so if i want to watch some movies ,I'll watch them on my sony wega.

Since you can display different things on the 12" screen and on the Sony (via display spanning), you should be fine.

The new Apple 20" ACD is a thing of beauty, but it's expensive - and so is any other LCD display with similar specs. Don't buy one until you can't deal with what you've got.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.