Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Debplume

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
Hi all, I am an ancient mac user.
I have a:
Macbook Pro running Mac OSX 10.5.8
(Office 2008) Word, Exel, PowerPoint, (Iwork 2009) Numbers, Pages will not save:.
I tossed the Word Plist file and that did not work.
I have run Virus Barrier X5 and found a about 10 files with Virus 'W97M/Pinky.B' "Quarantened" them and still have the problem.

The problem started -- I think -- when I was doing heavy editing between Numbers and Word. But I don't think it is related (though who knows at this point). Without these programs I'm rendered pretty useless.:mad:

Your thoughts would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

supergrandma

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2005
I am having the same problem—can't get Pages to save (it freezes every time). I have no clue what to do.

Debplume

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
Wierd, BOTH Office AND Iwork won't save

Totally bizarre and I am trying to avoid just reformatting my entire drive. I'm holding out to see if I can find the solution but it took me six hours of my day yesterday and nothing. I can't figure out what both programs have in common that would cause both to stop saving. I've re-installed both several times.

Something that supports both of them must be corrupted. I am really hoping someone here has the answer!

Debplume

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
Registered both Word and Iwork -- still no success!

Ok I am inching closer to backing up my entire machine (should do that anyway) then re-loading everything.:(

Debplume

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
Verify and rebuilt database utility on word -- did not work

Experiencing major challenges doing this. Database utility hangs for ages on verify then does 90% of job says it is done then hangs again. Finally got it to quit and allow me to rebuild. Did that ok, but cannot open Word. Normal file issues.

Also before doing all this I re-installed again and added "critical" update.

And this is just Word, I haven't even been dealing with Iwork.

Any ideas??????

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Have you reinstalled Office and iWork? (Might make sense to run AppCleaner or AppDelete first, to uninstall, then reinstal)

Have you run Disk Utility? Your thought that you might have to wipe your hard disk might be a good one. But DU might be able to pinpoint and repair problems short of erasing your hard disk.

mt

kcrane

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2011
Word won't save

I have same problem that Debplume had with MS Word not saving and just freezing, ran DU, removed and reinstalled, talked to MS rep for an hour, all to now avail. Anyone out there with a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.