Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
On my iBook, the screen was noticeably dimmer after ~4 years. I mean, I didn't really notice it until I had my laptop next to one that just had the screen replaced. Maybe it was just dim to start and the replacement was brighter than OEM. It's a slow process and it's something you just get used to as it happens, but it's not something I'd worry much about.

If you have the LED backlit model the backlight life should be considerably longer. If you have a white/blackbook that's not the new Unibody type, yours is CCFL.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yeah, CFLs definitely get dimmer over time. I have an old IBM Thinkpad that used to be bright as can be, but is super dim now... but like the other poster said, you just get used to it.

I guess if it bothers you, you could swap panels. I did that on my old Pismo. Got lucky and had a friend find one in a dumpster - super easy to do on that model and worked beautifully. Not even keyboard marks on that screen. Guess it just depends on how badly you're annoyed by your screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.