PDA

View Full Version : Updated HDD replace Q/A for PowerBook

SolidGun
Jul 25, 2004, 12:32 AM
I have read through the past threads on HDD replacement for PowerBooks, and most of them have ended or the other one I have read was in March. So I wanted to ask the questions I have and wanted to get some straight answers that I can easily read here. Also, i don't want an external FW/USB drive. I have a 12" PB that I just purchased(so it is the latest version)

1. Link for instruction on opening up the PowerBook and replacing HDD and tools needed to do this

2. Definite answer on warranty issues. With AppleCare can I replace the HDD but if I need service swap it out myself? Or do I have to have Apple Technician replace the unit to keep the AppleCare intact and then have him swap it out if I needed to send the unit in? Also, how much is the service at the Apple store for this?

3. What is a reasonably priced and speced 5400rpm and 7200rpm drives 60-80GB? And where is the best place to buy them?

4. Is this a fairly easy process?

5. Is there anything else that I can replace to improve things other than memory?

Would appreciate additional information to centralize and update some information on this issue.

Mord
Jul 25, 2004, 01:26 PM
what drive do you have now?

as for HD's i'd say get an 80GB 5200 rpm one it's only a bit slower than the 60GB 7200 rpm one as the data dencity is much higher, and you get 20GB more storeage.

you can do it yourself and if anything go's wrong latter on just put your old drive back in, there are not any seals or anything, a 12" powerbook is a pain to do and if you want a service manual i can give you one and give you tips on the instalation.

just pick up a hd and pop it in, though the poping in dose take a while.

jascreep
Jul 25, 2004, 01:51 PM
You may have seen this:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/powerbookG4_12in_HD_upgrade/PowebookG4_12in_HD_upgrade.htm#storytop

It provides detailed instructions on replacing the HD. I'm going to do the same in a 15" Pb. I've done a bit of research on warranty issues. CompUSA, Microcenter, and the Apple retail store in Houston all said there is no way to upgrade without voiding the warranty. I'm just going to do it myself and hope for the best.

TigerDirect has the best price I could find on the Hitachi 60gb 7200rpm drive. Good luck :)

SolidGun
Jul 25, 2004, 01:56 PM
I have the stock 4200rpm drive that came with the 12" PB.
Where can I obtain this manual? Is it in PDF or good old paperback.
So this is harder to do on the 12"?
Thx for your help Hector, and jascreep thx for your link to opening up the PB, that is exactly what I was looking for and I think I will do this as soon as I can figure out which HDD would be the best one to replace the stock HDD and to see if the price fits. I am looking for 60GB and no more since I don't need that much on my portable. I have 800 GB on my desktop and that is all the space I need for storage.

Finiksa
Jul 25, 2004, 02:06 PM
Where can I obtain this manual? Is it in PDF or good old paperback.
PDF format available here. (http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html)

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 25, 2004, 02:16 PM
For those of us that are faint of heart, what is the cost to have an Apple Service Shop (independent or is it something they can do in the stores) to swap the the HDD in a 12"?

MacRy
Jul 25, 2004, 02:18 PM
For those of us that are faint of heart, what is the cost to have an Apple Service Shop (independent or is it something they can do in the stores) to swap the the HDD in a 12"?

Happy birthday dude!

Finiksa
Jul 25, 2004, 02:37 PM
For those of us that are faint of heart, what is the cost to have an Apple Service Shop
My last invoice from my local Apple Service Centre lists a rate of $85/hr. It'd probably take 30 min to 1 hr for the replacement. I assume the cost would be much the same at other service centres.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 25, 2004, 02:51 PM
Happy birthday dude!

Many thanks! the big 46 today :( :) not sure which it should be.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 25, 2004, 02:52 PM
My last invoice from my local Apple Service Centre lists a rate of $85/hr. It'd probably take 30 min to 1 hr for the replacement. I assume the cost would be much the same at other service centres.

Just wanted to be sure. A shop out this way wants $80 an hour and is saying about an hour to hour and half. If it weren't for that AppleCare warranty that I'll be getting a couple of months, I would be tempted to do it myself.